FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Boig quiet pipes

Post Thanks / Like

Boig quiet pipes

I'm very interested in these, as they meet a few desires/requirements. I like the single tube appearance, and I'm trying to quiet the ride some for sure. I REALLY would like them in Stainless, or polished, or chrome - but I think I've gotten my head around black ceramic coating them since Boig doesn't really offer the other options.

What I'm curious about is the actual installed appearance. I haven't really seen them on many (if any) Gen3 Daytonas? If any of you have them, and want to show off some pictures, I'd love to see them! Also curious how your experience has been with the install and sound. (I'm hoping MAYBE I can talk them into building me a set with the ball flange like many other systems have)

For reference, my setup is a Gen3/Gen3Coyote. Though I'd love to hear from anyone who has put them on a Daytona regardless of motor setup

Thanks - I hope everyone is having a good holiday weekend!

Rian

Post Thanks / Like
    I have them on my Gen 3 Coupe, different engine mine is a Dart 363 from Levy. First since Bob died not sure if they are still available? The single pipe is a different look and they were bare steel that I had coated. They have a chambered mufler and are quieter than the original pipes that came from FFR but you still need ear plugs, the car is loud.
    DSC_9369.jpeg
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004
    Gen 3 coupe #16 registered 2018 painted 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey David - thanks for the pics. Nice looking coupe!
    Yes, I spoke to the new folks a few months ago when I got my cool pipes from them. I do know they're back to selling them (and that they WON'T do them in stainless...).
    What did you do coating wise? Did you end up going with Chrome? (can't tell too well from the pics)

Yeah, I'm hoping it's "more quiet"..... but I don't think there's any way to get it "no ear plugs" quiet! Not that I'd want it that way anyhow.....lol. The whole goal is to have it comfortable enough that the wife will even ride in it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have them in my 65 with Ceracote and the Boig headers. Excellent! and sound comfortable

IMG_20220416_071005.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Rian,
    I've got the Boig Quietpipes (single tube) on my still being built Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe with Gen 2 Coyote.
    They're finished in Ceracote C-400 Glacier Chrome Ceramic and to me look like mirror polished aluminum.
    I'm not yet done with the build, so can't vouch for the actual sound or performance of the Boig Quietpipes on the road, but I sure do like what they look like and how they fit.
    Note that in these photos they're just bolted on at the headers with no end bracket attached yet, i.e., are "hanging static weight". Amazingly horizontal to the body and ground as is, but there will be near the outlet end brackets to support the tube weight while driving.

Here's a few photos:

Protrusion beyond the body is minimal. Probably more than the narrow twin-pipes, but certainly not like Roadster sidepipes.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine are ceramic coated just like the others that have posted pictures here.
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks a ton to all of you!
    I've been worried about the lack of adjustability, but all of your pictures appear to show the fitment as VERY good at a minimum....
    The Glacier Chrome Ceramic coating looks excellent as well! much better than I figured honestly. Now I'm back to choice anxiety on colors...

RR

Post Thanks / Like
    The noise issue is really a worry. My Type 65 is on order. It sounds like the F5 exhaust may be a bad choice.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Coupe was one of the first ones and the FFR pipes were really loud that is why I changed to the Boig pipes. You might want to call FFR and check they might have made changes to the mufflers to make them quieter. With the Boig pipes from outside the Coupe is not crazy loud. Inside you get more low frequency engine noise and less road/wind noise than in the Cobra. I have Dynamat in my car but it is still loud and I always wear ear plugs.
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004

Post Thanks / Like
    These cars are brutes. It doesn't make sense to civilize them too much. From what I can tell, the most civilized solution is the Boig system. I'm going that route. Dynamat and carpet will also be used to ease the noise. Beyond that there will be lots of experimenting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Brandle View Post
    Rian,
    I've got the Boig Quietpipes (single tube) on my still being built Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe with Gen 2 Coyote.
    They're finished in Ceracote C-400 Glacier Chrome Ceramic and to me look like mirror polished aluminum.
    I'm not yet done with the build, so can't vouch for the actual sound or performance of the Boig Quietpipes on the road, but I sure do like what they look like and how they fit.
    Note that in these photos they're just bolted on at the headers with no end bracket attached yet, i.e., are "hanging static weight". Amazingly horizontal to the body and ground as is, but there will be near the outlet end brackets to support the tube weight while driving.

Here's a few photos:

Protrusion beyond the body is minimal. Probably more than the narrow twin-pipes, but certainly not like Roadster sidepipes.

Bob
    Here's my now completed Coupe. The exhaust sound of my Boig Quietpipes (early 4th or 5th unit produced) with the Gen 2 Coyote is a desired "mellow loudness" versus any raspy sound I've heard some others describe the FFR dual sidepipes.
    When NOT on heavy powered acceleration the sound in the cabin is low enough to easily talk to the passenger and if my Coupe had a radio/stereo, etc. it would probably be relatively OK. Of course, I have door windows and rather extensive sound deadening layers throughout the car, including the ceiling. Actually, when under cruising power load (versus steady state or ~no power), the exhaust sound seems to come almost entirely from behind the seats in the hatch & rear wheel well area than from the door or sidepipes exit. And as I said, there's sound deadening throughout the cabin, even inside the door shells. Maybe an additional or thicker layer in the rear would help. No ear protection for very short drives but over say 5 miles then a combo of mechanical ear plugs, and even better, Beats Studio Buds does the trick for the driver and noise cancellation headset for the passenger. I'm still early in the use of all of those and still gathering effectiveness.

12. Likes Rhino liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice Bob! Love what you've done with yours.

I ended up going the same direction, but did mine in a black gloss ceracote

2023-12-22 14.37.49.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the great information. The people at Boig were very helpful. I ordered a set for our Type 65. Noise reduction is a top priority for us. In the past, we had one car with a "performance" exhaust. On the Interstate, the rpms were about 3000 at seventy mph. The exhaust drone became almost maddening.
    We are currently researching noise reduction methods to avoid that problem again. Insulation (Dynamat?), carpet, side windows, and interior ventilation and air flow are all big questions. The fifth gear overdrive may be our biggest help. Beyond that it's hard to know what refinements can be made.
    Loud exhausts were fun...when I was sixty years younger!

Post Thanks / Like
    The Boig exhaust is not stainless, so it will need to be coated. Any recommendations as to types of coatings?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have Boig Quiet Pipes on my Type 65. It is together and driving, but not finished. I have yet to put in the sound deadener or carpet. I really like the quiet pipes. They are loud, but not as harsh as the pipes that come with the kit. I’ve taken several trips 40 miles and back, and have not been bothered by the sound.

Bob Boig sold me the pipes right before he passed away. I had a few phone calls with him, and he recommended spraying them with high temp paint meant for backyard grills. They sell at any hardware store. I wanted flat white to go with my vintage-ish color scheme. I’ve been pleased with the results. No big deal to take them off and re-spray once a season or so if they get chipped or discolored. Having them coated is going to set you back some coin. It depends on what you want it to look like and what you want to do with the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here’s my car as it is now.

IMG_2508.jpgIMG_2388.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I had mine ceramic coated like most, it is silver but not as shiny as chrome.
    As for sound the engine you pick will affect it a lot. in the posts above Bob with a Coyote engine says he could listen to an audio system, in mine with a Dart 363 and an aggressive cam that would not be possible.
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004