Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Hood clearance to engine side covers

Post Thanks / Like

Hood clearance to engine side covers

I put this one in the too hard basket a while back, but now need to resolve it. I have a Gen 1 HR and the hood is too narrow at the firewall and rubs on the engine side cover mounting tab. I noticed some other builders had the same issue and had cut off the tab on the side covers, then made a bracket to fix the side cover to the firewall. I've also done this but the hood now rubs on the body - it's still way too narrow. The belt line on the hood is recessed 4mm behind the body belt line on both sides.

Any suggestions on the best course of action? I remember some builders had made a 'spreader', but for the life of me I can't find any examples. Anyone have some pics they'd like to share?

20220605_145446.jpg 20220605_145612.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    It looks to me like you trimmed to much from the rear of the hood; reducing the distance of that side of the triangle that is the hood. Try sliding hood forward toward the radiator and see how far forward you have to go to get it to sit down correctly. Of course if I'm right, you'll need to rebuild the rear part of the hood to fill the gap but that might be easier than splitting the hood down the center and adding material to both inner and outer surfaces to get the width you need. Good Luck...

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the suggestion. I remember the trimming was fairly well uniform both front & back so I don't think this is the problem. I did slide the hood forward about an inch before I had enough clearance but then the style line doesn't line up with the body. I certainly didn't trim an inch off the rear. This clearance was only achieved with the engine side covers off......i'd need even more with them on.

I'm serial #1093 which is right around the changeover to Gen 2, so I wonder if this is another Gen 1/Gen2 hybrid 'thing'? I'll contact FFR.