Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: No Turn Signal Indicator Lights

Post Thanks / Like

No Turn Signal Indicator Lights

Hello, I am running into an issue with the dash indicator lights (turn signals) not working at all. The high beam indicator light works when high beam is on. All 4 ways work and hazards and headlights. For some reason, the left indicator and right indicator lights there is no power when I test the wires. I have the steering column wires plugged in and there is only one way to plug in. Why would my turn signals work etc... but not the dash lights? Thank you

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure if the harness you are using has diodes built in to it, for two indicator lights to be used. I know only one indicator light was commonly used, for both left and right signals. You needed to use diodes to prevent simultaneous feedback to the opposite side signal lights, when two indicators were used.

Post Thanks / Like
    The harness that came with my Gen2 (I think it was Ron Francis but can't recall any more) had specific wires for right & left turn indicators. I also went with the FFR gauge cluster on my build so I just hooked up the correct turn signal indicator lights from the wire harness (they were marked on the wire) to the correct turn signal lights on the gauge cluster wire harness and everything worked fine.

If you're not using the gauge cluster, I have never looked into that wiring.

Jim
    33 Hot Rod w/ 302 & Tremec T5; paint color is 68 Ford Mustang GT LimeGold
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...s-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Based on your description, sounds like the Ron Francis harness. But helps to confirm. Tell us more about how you have the indicator lights wired. To the dedicated Lt Blue - RT Dash Ind LT and Lt Green - LFT Dash Ind LT in the dash harness? You mention no voltage. No voltage on those wires? Also really basic, but LED's won't light if wired backwards. Doubt that's an issue, but throwing it out there.

This is a little confusing. But hopefully it helps and will resolve the issue. The Hot Rod connector, that plugs into the ididit column, is a duplicate of the turn signal and hazard wires (among others) in the dash harness. That's why the manual says to cut the yellow and white rear turn signal light wires off the turn signal connectors in the dash harness. So that the turn signal lights (and hazards) do not back feed. But you still need to connect the indicator lights to the Dk Green and Lt Blue turn signal wires in the dash harness to power them. That should power them. Note also the turn signal circuit is only active with the key on (Ignition circuit) and the hazard circuit is always active (battery circuit).
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Gen 1 and Gen 2 wiring is identical, so don't worry about differences there. In addition, the same RF harness is used for multiple kit models which is the reason why there are some modifications to make.
    The most common mistake, as Paul (edwardb) points out, is not cutting wires as indicated in the instructions and, if I remember correctly, there is another wire to cut at the connector to the steering column (not 100% on that one). If you've done those then next step is basic troubleshooting - use a voltmeter, start at the output of the flasher unit in the fuse panel and work your way towards the indicator light (it goes through the steering column) and see where the disconnect is....

Steve
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow thank you guys for the feedback. Yes I have the Gen 2 with Ron Francis wiring harness. I have the Lt Blue - RT Dash Ind LT hooked up to the indicator light and Lt Green - LFT Dash Ind LT hooked up to the indicator light. However, I dont remember cutting any wires for the turn signals other than for the headlights DLR that I got working. I will check that out, anyone know which wires? Thank you

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Based on your description, sounds like the Ron Francis harness. But helps to confirm. Tell us more about how you have the indicator lights wired. To the dedicated Lt Blue - RT Dash Ind LT and Lt Green - LFT Dash Ind LT in the dash harness? You mention no voltage. No voltage on those wires? Also really basic, but LED's won't light if wired backwards. Doubt that's an issue, but throwing it out there.

This is a little confusing. But hopefully it helps and will resolve the issue. The Hot Rod connector, that plugs into the ididit column, is a duplicate of the turn signal and hazard wires (among others) in the dash harness. That's why the manual says to cut the yellow and white rear turn signal light wires off the turn signal connectors in the dash harness. So that the turn signal lights (and hazards) do not back feed. But you still need to connect the indicator lights to the Dk Green and Lt Blue turn signal wires in the dash harness to power them. That should power them. Note also the turn signal circuit is only active with the key on (Ignition circuit) and the hazard circuit is always active (battery circuit).

Cut the yellow and white rear turn signal light wires off the turn signal connectors that are for the dash turn signal switch so that the turn signal lights do not back feed and light the front turn signals when the brakes are pressed.

Is this what you are referring to?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 33PizzaGuy View Post
    Cut the yellow and white rear turn signal light wires off the turn signal connectors that are for the dash turn signal switch so that the turn signal lights do not back feed and light the front turn signals when the brakes are pressed.

Is this what you are referring to?
    Yes. The manual describes cutting two wires. That will prevent backfeeding as the power to the exterior lights is coming from the switching at the ididit column through the hot rod connector. But you still need power the indicators. I checked my build notes and this is how I have my truck wired. Same harness, same ididit column, LED indicators, works as it should. Refer to the RH connector in the dash harness as shown in the RF wiring schematic:

GRY-TURN FLASHER FD - not used. Cap.
    PINK-HAZARD FLASHER - not used. Cap.
    BLK-GROUND (2) - Use as needed.
    BRN-HORN SW - Use as needed.
    DK GRN-LEFT FRT TURN - Connect only to the DK GREEN LFT DASH IND LT
    YEL-LEFT REAR TURN - not used. Cap. Per manual.
    LT BLU-RIGHT FRT TURN - Connect only to the LT BLUE RT DASH IND LT
    WHT-RIGHT REAR TURN - not used. Cap. Per manual.

Note neither of the switches (turn signal and hazard) are used. That all comes from the ididit column. Only connect the two indicators from the dash harness.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Look at the section entitled "Steering Column Wiring" in the manual, has a pic of the wires to cut, etc... (likely around pg 271)
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you guys. Really appreciate your help big time.

11. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

13. Likes FF33rod, theidlemind liked this post