BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  51
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Narly1's Speedstar build

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by narly1 View Post
    So the completion kit came today. It's all been inventoried with only 1 POL item, that being the fuel tank vent gasket.

There does seem to be a mix up though in terms of what was sent for engine/transmission mounts & driveshaft vs what I need for my 302/AOD combination.

I'm sure we'll get that sorted out in short order.

Earl
    Long time coming Earl, congrats!! I look forward to watching your build.

Jim
    33 Hot Rod w/ 302 & Tremec T5; paint color is 68 Ford Mustang GT LimeGold
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...s-Build-Thread

2. Thanks narly1 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    There does seem to be a mix up though in terms of what was sent for engine/transmission mounts & driveshaft vs what I need for my 302/AOD combination.
    I'm having an issue getting my 302/AOD mounts, brackets, hardware as well. Also J-pipes... I've also been told that the shorty headers are on backorder.
    -- Mike -- TxMike64 -- @TxMGarage
    Gen1.5 Hot Rod '33 #1094 (Stage 1) - 302/AOD '15 IRS - Quad Built - Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    For the 302 block, these are the BBK headers you want
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bbk-15150

Steve
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

5. Thanks narly1 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FF33rod View Post
    For the 302 block, these are the BBK headers you want
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bbk-15150

Steve
    Yeah, I've got those on my Summit Wishlist, but I paid for a complete install kit.....
    Gen1.5 Hot Rod '33 #1094 (Stage 1) - 302/AOD '15 IRS - Quad Built - Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Prepping suspension parts for powdercoating this morning. Polishing the sharp edges and weld spatter out of the unpainted pieces with the exception of the front lower arms which after disassembly are sitting in solvent to wash out the grease in them first.

I feel bad about undoing somebody's work, but it has to be done. All of the rear pieces came powdercoated black with their bushings, sleeves and zerk fittings installed. They will be getting the paint strip & polish treatment as well.

Earl
    1st Speedstar in Canada 31 March 2023.
    Built by me 302 engine, AOD trans, 3.55 IRS.

Post Thanks / Like
    I separated the body from the frame and made this raised table on wheels for it to sit on. That way I can store it over top of the frame and wheel it out of the way when I need to work.

20230512_115735[1].jpg

9. Likes JimLev liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I ordered my fame bare as I wanted something different than black.

So I've taken it upon myself to clean up any sharp edges and weld spatter as the first step before powdercoating.

One positive outcome of this is that I'm getting a good understanding of the frame layout and a real appreciation for the workmanship that goes into them.

Beautiful.

20230512_115431[1].jpg

Apologies for the surface rust, an unavoidable consequence of the long, wet drive home and monsoon season here in southern Ontario.

Note that I've been using what are known as "surface conditioning" discs for the clean-up. If you never used them, they're like scotchbrite pads on steroids.

Earl
    Last edited by narly1; 05-12-2023 at 11:12 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I should also give you an update on my POL situation.

Parts have been dribbling in every so often over the past month. I have almost everything now except for the correct driveshaft and motor mount parts (got the wrong ones in error).

My takeaway from this is that FFR's new inventory management system is making a difference. These parts delays are nothing compared to what I went through when I was building my engine.

Earl

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I think that's the first time I've seen the Speedstar body in the raw. I didn't know the entire cowl was different! I though just the cowl where it meets the windshield frame. Which means the back edge of the hood and side covers is different too. this body will probably not look good without side covers.

Guess I need to go look at the Speedstar gallery again...

13. Likes narly1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sometimes not working on the car is working on the car if you know what I mean.

This past weekend's activity was a garage clean-out and yard sale. As a result I now have the extra space needed to move all of the parts boxes from inside the house into the 2nd garage bay, plus some stuff cramping my workspace in the 1st bay where the frame is.

My car wanted its garage back, LOL!

Earl

15. Likes 33fromSD, Mastertech5, FF33rod, TxMike64 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    This past weekend's activity....
    I'll openly admit that I should have had this done long before the kit ever showed up, but building the new garden shed (that was also part of the garage clear-out/clean-up task) consumed all of my free time last summer/fall.

At least I can say that I'm getting it done, there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Earl

Post Thanks / Like
    Center section and C-hubs got a wash and coating of Nyalic.

My first time using this stuff and I really like the results.

Earl

20230623_131243[1].jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Center section and C-hubs got a wash and coating of Nyalic.

My first time using this stuff and I really like the results.

Earl
    20230623_131243[1].jpg
    Looks very similar to Sharkhide, similar price too. I heard about Sharkhide through a youtube channel I watch and was going to use it similar to you.

19. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TxMike64 View Post
    Looks very similar to Sharkhide, similar price too. I heard about Sharkhide through a youtube channel I watch and was going to use it similar to you.
    Sharkhide seems to be a bit harder to come by up here in Canada. I found this stuff in a discussion somewhere about Sharkhide alternatives and it was given high praise so between that and the fact that a fairly local farm implement dealer carried it, I pulled the trigger.

It's a bit on the runny side, like thinned out polyurethane, so you have to watch for drips on the underside of parts. Nyalic also sells a cleaner for their coating, not sure how critical it is that you use it, but I did after giving everything a good wipe-down with lacquer thinners as a degreaser.

I really like the way it coats ferrous parts that would otherwise start rusting if not protected.

Earl

21. Likes TxMike64 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TxMike64 View Post
    I think that's the first time I've seen the Speedstar body in the raw. I didn't know the entire cowl was different! I though just the cowl where it meets the windshield frame. Which means the back edge of the hood and side covers is different too. this body will probably not look good without side covers.

Guess I need to go look at the Speedstar gallery again...
    Here is my Speedstar.

IMG_20230112_112410158.jpg

23. Likes TxMike64, j33ptj, theidlemind liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Date with the Devil": prepping the frame for powdercoating

I say this because:

1. The devil is in the details.

2. Some of those welds (and there are a ton of them) are the devil to get at.

3. I somehow managed to mess up my back and it hurts like the devil.

Nonetheless I'm pressing on, I added a few vacation days onto the long holiday weekend and have made some great progress cleaning up weld spatter (surprisingly little), sharp/rough edges & welds, and the little laser cutter lead-in/lead out pips left behind on the plate steel parts.

I'm hoping to be at the point where I can flip the frame upside down on the weekend to catch the last little bit.....then it's off to the powder painter's shop.

Earl

25. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Still working on the daily grind. This back pain thing is really slowing my progress. I'm at the point where I do what I can when I can. Getting close to being able to flip the frame over though.

In other news I managed to score a used air rivet gun in almost new condition for $40.

Earl

Post Thanks / Like
    I can sympathize with your back pain issue. I had 3 surgeries during my (still ongoing) build and am now fully fused from L2 to S1. I hope yours doesn't come to that.

Keith HR #894

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by progmgr1 View Post
    I can sympathize with your back pain issue. I had 3 surgeries during my (still ongoing) build and am now fully fused from L2 to S1. I hope yours doesn't come to that.

Keith HR #894
    I've been doing physio and getting great immediate (after visit) and encouraging between visit results. Part of the issue I'm having goes back to when I broke my femur. Scar tissue. Everything relates to everything, the human body is a finely balanced machine.

Earl

Post Thanks / Like
    Yup. Everything is connected and there are always unintended consequences. Now that my back is fully fused, I'm having trouble with my sacroiliac and hip joints. I just succeeded in moving the problem to another area. That's why I suggest continuing with PT and exercise as long as you can.

Keith HR #894

Post Thanks / Like
    Yup, my back doctor tells me some time in the next 5-10 years I'm going to need surgery for L3-L4 pinched nerve issues (lose complete feeling in my right leg down to the knee which is kind of scary). We've figured out if I can get an epidural injection every 4-6 months in that L3-L4 area and then continue on with daily exercises me and my PT worked on I can prolong the "S" word for a few years, maybe longer. Been almost a year now (just got another injection the other day) but eventually they tell me injections/PT just won't do it any more.

Keith & Earl, I feel your pain (excuse the pun), we do what we can do, when we can do it, sometimes our bodies just don't cooperate anymore.

Jim
    Last edited by 33fromSD; 07-17-2023 at 08:56 AM.
    33 Hot Rod w/ 302 & Tremec T5; paint color is 68 Ford Mustang GT LimeGold
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...s-Build-Thread

31. Thanks narly1 thanked for this post
    Likes narly1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Disappointed and a bit embarrassed that I've made almost zero progress since my last update due to the back pain thing. Almost 2 whole months lost! No joke. The good news is that I'm starting to feel more like my old self again. The frame is flipped upside down at the moment so I can get at the last of the welds and clean them up. While it's in this attitude I'm going to drill the outer floor panels. I've decided to delay powder coating the frame until much later in the build process.

20230827_203835.jpg

Earl
    Last edited by narly1; 08-27-2023 at 08:13 PM.

33. Likes FF33rod liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I also went with the bare chassis, since I planned to do a lot of customization that would require welding and structural modifications. However, I recently recognized that I went too far down assembly road before tearing everything off for powder coat. Stuff gets much more complicated when you make it to be removeable and easily reassembled. Also, I found that it could be difficult to get all the rivet holes to line up if I had to mount panels several times, so I recommend that you not pre-drill the rivet holes.

I suggest that you make a detailed plan of the chassis mods you want to make and make those a priority - then get the chassis powder coated as soon as you can fit it in the budget. Life will be easier and you won't have as much to do twice.

Have fun with your build!

Keith HR #894

35. Thanks narly1 thanked for this post
    Likes narly1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by progmgr1 View Post
    I also went with the bare chassis, since I planned to do a lot of customization that would require welding and structural modifications. However, I recently recognized that I went too far down assembly road before tearing everything off for powder coat. Stuff gets much more complicated when you make it to be removeable and easily reassembled. Also, I found that it could be difficult to get all the rivet holes to line up if I had to mount panels several times, so I recommend that you not pre-drill the rivet holes.

I suggest that you make a detailed plan of the chassis mods you want to make and make those a priority - then get the chassis powder coated as soon as you can fit it in the budget. Life will be easier and you won't have as much to do twice.

Have fun with your build!

Keith HR #894
    Thanks for the great perspective. Not looking to do anything crazy, I just want to make sure that the sheet metal drilling, brake/fuel lines and a few other misc brackets are sorted out before painting.

Earl

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Disappointed and a bit embarrassed that I've made almost zero progress since my last update due to the back pain thing. Almost 2 whole months lost! No joke. The good news is that I'm starting to feel more like my old self again. The frame is flipped upside down at the moment so I can get at the last of the welds and clean them up. While it's in this attitude I'm going to drill the outer floor panels. I've decided to delay powder coating the frame until much later in the build process.

Earl

I know how you feel - I'm just now getting back to work on mine after about 3 or 4 months... But I don't have any health excuses. It's been hotter than hell this year and I couldn't manage. Work and kids/family are my main excuse. But I'm happier to be back working on it.

Glad to hear you're back at it as well!

38. Thanks narly1 thanked for this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12