BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 2012 Rules

Director of R&D, FFR Jim Schenck's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

2012 Rules

The new rules have been posted at http://nasaproracing.com/rules The old rules will remain in affect as a second class (FFR2) for next season. The standard FFR class is the new ruleset with the basic package we have been testing. There are a couple small changes relative to dyno procedure and measuring track width mixed in to clear up some confusion in tech as well.

Both Factory Five and Trickflow are offering discounts to racers, this info will be available through the regional directors or email me directly for info. (jim-at-factoryfive.com)
    Jim Schenck
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Jim, for all your hard work in defining the new ruleset and putting together the packages to make this all happen! These are very exciting times for the Challenge Series! I am quite impressed with the price of the top end kit...it is a lot less than I expected. I do note from reviewing the contents of the kit that the trick flow upper and lower intakes are not included. I guess that means we're stuck with the stock 5.0 intake? Also note in the rules that the trick flow 24 lb injectors are spec'd. I assume that ANY comparable 24 lb injectors would be ok? We will probably all get the TF units initially, but as time goes on and injectors are damaged or clogged may want to get some less pricey replacements, such as those available on ebay. Maybe the rule should be a little less specific.

On the suspension side, I have a question regarding the front brakes. the rule specifies OEM Cobra calipers and rotors. latemodel restoration has a brake upgrade package which offers "SVE" (reconditioned Cobra) calipers and powerslot rotors of the appropriate diameter for approx $300, not a bad deal. The question centers around the slotted rotors. They are the correct diameter and the slots actually decrease the effective braking area. But they are not strictly speaking exactly like their OEM counterparts. I think some Cobra models over the years have had slotted or drilled rotors, but I am not sure if these will be legal? Your thoughts would be appreciated.

-T
    Coyote powered Daytona Coupe Competition Racecar #21
    Challenge series #21
    FFR 33 Hot Rod
    2009 3rd place NorCal series
    2010 3rd place West Coast series
    2011 2nd place NorCal, 2nd place West Coast Series, 3rd place WERC class E1

Post Thanks / Like
    So it was decided to go with the FFR2 class. I actually like that idea for one year. Makes things easier for a transition for me personally. As I said at the other place, thanks for all the work and time you put into this and I can't wait for the free Trickflow kit coupons to be published.

President, Factory Five Racing Dave Smith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The thing that i am most excited about is the performance of the cars with the upp'd Hp and torque. Also, based on direct feedback from drivers, the cars are really very easy to drive and that makes it even better. 2012 will be an exciting year for the series and for our racing programs coming back to life after semi-dormancy during a tough economy that saw race budgets slashed.
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm really looking forward to the updates and doing these over the winter and see how the car will perform in the ICSCC and SCCA (since no NASA here, I have to travel to CA to run NASA). Thanks for all the hard work that was put into this effort.
    Last edited by FFRSpec72; 11-29-2011 at 09:59 PM.
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    In the rules, section 10.1 indicate 19lb injectors and the TFS part number is for 24lb injectors, I assume that the text should read 24lb injectors not 19lb?
    Last edited by FFRSpec72; 12-01-2011 at 01:07 AM.
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Challenge Series Director FFSpecRacer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tony,

Not sure where you see 19lb injectors listed in the text of 10.1.

10.1 Eligible Models
    Any 5.0 liter 1987-1993 Mustang (302ci Ford) V8 production engine, in OEM configuration is legal, providing that it meets with all other applicable rules. Cobra model engines and engine components are prohibited. No parts may be replaced with anything other than OEM or direct OEM replacement parts unless specified below.

While 10.1 does infer that you must use 19lb injectors "No parts may be replaced with anything other than OEM or direct
    OEM replacement parts." It goes on to say "unless specified below." And the 24lb injectors are specified below in 10.2.

Now that I have typed all that, I think I see what you meant. You meant in 10.2 instead of 10.1.

Look at the column headings. 19lb injectors are listed in the "OEM parts" column. The TFS 24lb injectors are listed in the "TFS Kit Individual Parts" column. That is saying that TFS 24lb injectors are a legal modification to the OEM 19lb injectors.

In other words, the first column is not naming the parts in the third column.

Hope that clears it up.
    Brian [email protected]
    Great Lakes & Midwest Region Series Director

Post Thanks / Like
    Brian, thanks, that makes since as I was reading the table in 10.2 wrong
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Are there any pictures of the sway bar on the car? as I have tow hooks mounted on the front of the 4" tubes and wonder if this is going to be an issue
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    So I ordered the frontend package from FFR, seems they are missing some parts and plan to ship out this week or next.

Also called the Trickflow folks and emailed them the information they needed for the top-end package, they indicated that the heads were not ready and it would be a few weeks before they could pull that together.
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Brian
    I'm a bit confused.....are we ordering the complete top end kit from Trick Flow or Summit?
    Robert

Post Thanks / Like
    I checked with summit but the kit as listed on their site is incomplete. Spoke with Ed Pinegar from Trick Flow and he is our contact person. They are finishing up some new machine work on the heads which should be available next week or so. They are asking for photos of your car and racing license to ship the upgrade. Kit does include intake but does NOT include lifters, as they feel stock lifters can be used if they're in good repair.

T
    Coyote powered Daytona Coupe Competition Racecar #21
    Challenge series #21
    FFR 33 Hot Rod
    2009 3rd place NorCal series
    2010 3rd place West Coast series
    2011 2nd place NorCal, 2nd place West Coast Series, 3rd place WERC class E1

Challenge Series Director FFSpecRacer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Robert,

What Tom said. My understanding is the package listed on Summit is for the non-series people who want the same kit we have and does not include the intakes. The intakes must be purchased separately and there are several they can choose from.
    Brian [email protected]
    Great Lakes & Midwest Region Series Director

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tcoon View Post
    They are asking for photos of your car and racing license to ship the upgrade.

T
    That would suck for people that want to build a spec car but still need to work their way through HPDE and/or comp school.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yea Jim, I got a motor to build to spec, but won't get the discount since I don't have a car to run yet. TF is wanting to get some press for their discount though, and I guess I'm not sure I blame them. I wish a build number was sufficient - I understand they don't want the discount going to just anyone.