Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: AC trinary with coyote controls pack wiring

Post Thanks / Like

AC trinary with coyote controls pack wiring

I have my fan on the controls pack relay. Not using the RF fan control at all. The computer tells the fan when to start and stop.

I need to wire my trinary. I have most of it sorted out. But, where do I put the blue wire from the trinary that would normally provide ground for the relay (parallel to temp switch normal)?

The two black/greens on trinary would get the ac control from ac switch and the other get the ac compressor hooked to it?

And black to ground, right?

Help point someone who’s never done this how. I checked instructions but they are rather vague.
    '33 Hot Rod
    Ordered: 3/25/17. Delivered: 5/6/17. 1st start: 8/24/18

MK4 Roadster
    Ordered: 7/10/13. Delivered: 8/20/13. Completed: 10/26/15.
    I did everything except spray it. She ain't perfect, but she's mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Subscribed. I am not anywhere close to having to deal with this same issue, but I will down the road.
    Which generation of Coyote are you running? I have seen posts talking about the 2nd Gen controls pack running the fan way too much. I have dual fans on my build and I will likely use an aftermarket pulse modulated fan controller to split the fan function between engine and AC and reduce the fan speed when full speed is not needed.
    MK4 base kit, 2004 Mach 1 donor, 4.6L DOHC, TR-3650 5-speed, narrowed stock axle with 3.55 gears and TruTrac, PS, PB, ABS, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, started 12/2011, registered 9/2014, sold 3/1/2018.
    1970 Mustang Fastback Coyote powered Boss 302 tribute. Started 10/14/16.
    Gen 3 Coupe Base Kit non-donor build. Ordered 4/5/2024 to be received August 2024.

Post Thanks / Like
    You're installing the Factory Five A/C setup? If so, the instructions are fairly decent IMO. The step-by-step "attach this wire to that wire" instructions are a little hard to follow. But the schematic at the end of the instructions I found showed everything OK. The bottom line is with A/C and trinary switch, you will use the RF fan relay. Wire it like the schematic shows. The Coyote PCM controlled fan wire will command fan on based upon engine temp. The RF fan circuit will command fan on based upon the trinary switch. When I first saw this, wasn't sure it was right and questioned FF technical. I was assured it was OK and would work. It does. Have two builds wired this way. Just took the Coupe to a cruise-in today with the A/C running. All good.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

4. Thanks Svtfreak thanked for this post
    Likes Svtfreak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Alan, mine is a gen 2 coyote. I’ve read the same but that doesn’t bother me.

Edward, it might have been you that I found a post, but the hot rod instructions I have are very vague. They don’t have more than a copy of the vintage air trinary diagram. The post said use the coupe instructions which are a lot better. And you’re right. Basically, the thermo wire goes to the trinary, the ac panel turns ok the RF relay, and the fan gets two +12’s. One from RF and one from the controls pack. Actually a lot simpler than the way my kind was going. Going to take a look at that next shop day (next week) but should be pretty simple. Most of the wires are already there. I’ll have to run one from the control panel for the ac to the trinary.
    '33 Hot Rod
    Ordered: 3/25/17. Delivered: 5/6/17. 1st start: 8/24/18

MK4 Roadster
    Ordered: 7/10/13. Delivered: 8/20/13. Completed: 10/26/15.
    I did everything except spray it. She ain't perfect, but she's mine.