FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Interior aluminum panels question

Post Thanks / Like

Interior aluminum panels question

I got my packaged aluminum box today and went through it to check inventory. I have 4 pieces (2 each of right and left) that are described as cockpit front striker covers and Rt. and Lt. Cockpit rear upper corners. I can't figure out how or where they are suppose to go. Picture below.

IMG_20220816_142221_hdr.jpg

Help please.
    33 Hot Rod Stage 1, Gen.2 ordered 11/11/2021 started June 12, 2022, LS3 E-Rod crate engine, Tremec TKX, 8.8 WITH 3.55 Ratio and limited slip with 31 spline axles.17X8 and18x10 Race Star wheels wrapped in Conti Extreme contact DWS tires, Mustang Cobra brakes all around. Electric PS and AC. Hard top, electric windows and bike fenders. First Start 5/31/2023. Go-Kart 6/2/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Those big bits are hard to describe, but go inside the rear body, above the door hinges
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

3. Thanks Mastertech5 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Here you go, page 397 in my manualCursor_and_Hot_Rod_Manual_3G__gen2__pdf.png

(if you don't have the manual as a PDF, ask them for one, or there may be a link on the website. it's super handy being able to search for "striker plate" or similar)
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19

5. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have both manuals and I haven't seen that picture in mine, yet any way. No idea about the other ones?
    Thanks James
    I found the description for the other pieces on the page before that but the piece looks different. Gen.1 picture probably.

Bruce
    Last edited by Mastertech5; 08-16-2022 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Add content
    33 Hot Rod Stage 1, Gen.2 ordered 11/11/2021 started June 12, 2022, LS3 E-Rod crate engine, Tremec TKX, 8.8 WITH 3.55 Ratio and limited slip with 31 spline axles.17X8 and18x10 Race Star wheels wrapped in Conti Extreme contact DWS tires, Mustang Cobra brakes all around. Electric PS and AC. Hard top, electric windows and bike fenders. First Start 5/31/2023. Go-Kart 6/2/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah I'm using version 3G, which was an early Gen2 manual.
    James

Post Thanks / Like
    The triangular shaped ones are the striker plate bracket covers

Jim
    33 Hot Rod w/ 302 & Tremec T5; paint color is 68 Ford Mustang GT LimeGold
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...s-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 33fromSD View Post
    The triangular shaped ones are the striker plate bracket covers

Jim
    I found that on page 395. It looks different than the picture though.Why do they call it a striker cover plate that covers the hinge area when a striker is the pin that the latch grabs when you close the door?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastertech5 View Post
    I found that on page 395. It looks different than the picture though.Why do they call it a striker cover plate that covers the hinge area when a striker is the pin that the latch grabs when you close the door?
    As noted above, it covers the striker plate (the front pin). Mine is installed with carpet glued to it already so I cannot show you, but it goes up front by the striker.

See the attached pic from the manual, the slot in the aluminum cover goes over the tab I point to in the attached pic.

fullsizeoutput_89.jpeg

Jim
    Last edited by 33fromSD; 08-17-2022 at 04:10 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Now that makes more sense. What was I looking at then on page 396? The picture looks like frame in the back just behind the door opening. I know I need new glasses but man.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have another question about the firewall. I have the foot boxes and firewall clamped in place, but not having the body yet, I don't want to attach it to the frame in the wrong position. I drew a centerline on the top of the frame at the firewall and one on the firewall, so I have it centered and the foot boxes seem to be in the right positions but I'm worried about the height to mate to the body properly. Is anyone out there with a full kit at a point where they could measure from the ends of the frame top section and at the center to the top of the firewall at those positions. I have 4 5/8 on the ends and 4 7/8 in the middle. All suggestions are welcome.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had to read pg107 again but I don’t remember any care needed in this section- dont the foot boxes just fit in one place and the firewall on top? I fitted mine without even owning stage 2 and never gave it any thought
    James

Post Thanks / Like
    Now that makes more sense. What was I looking at then on page 396? The picture looks like frame in the back just behind the door opening. I know I need new glasses but man.
    My Gen2 did not have that aluminum panel shown on Pg 396.. It's not really needed anyways and the waterfall covers that whole area. Also, I'm glad it wasn't in my kit since I've removed my waterfall a couple times now needing to access that area (once to adjust the hinges, and once to troubleshoot a speaker wire issue going into the doors.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRacer View Post
    I had to read pg107 again but I don’t remember any care needed in this section- dont the foot boxes just fit in one place and the firewall on top? I fitted mine without even owning stage 2 and never gave it any thought
    Short answer is yes.

Longer answer is if you purchased the insulation kit, there are firewall pieces that are precut that sit on top of the firewall frame square tube you can uses a template. The top edge of that insulation piece will line up with the top edge of the aluminum firewall panel. See the instructions below, they are from the Gen1 era but that firewall pieces didn't change to Gen2.

--> https://www.factoryfiveparts.com/con...insulation.pdf

On the body, there is an indent / lip sits that sits on top of the aluminum panel, it's more important to make sure the firewall aluminum panel is parallel to the upper frame square tube so the body sits level up front.

Jim
    Last edited by 33fromSD; 08-18-2022 at 05:29 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Gen1.5 kit doesn't have the pieces with the slots, but has the striker covers... Who knows. I've looked at 4 different versions of the manual and not one of them seems to have all the info needed for this kit...

Quote Originally Posted by 33fromSD View Post
    Short answer is yes.
    Longer answer is if you purchased the insulation kit, there are firewall pieces that are precut that sit on top of the firewall frame square tube you can uses a template. The top edge of that insulation piece will line up with the top edge of the aluminum firewall panel. See the instructions below, they are from the Gen1 era but that firewall pieces didn't change to Gen2.
    --> https://www.factoryfiveparts.com/con...insulation.pdf
    On the body, there is an indent / lip sits that sits on top of the aluminum panel, it's more important to make sure the firewall aluminum panel is parallel to the upper frame square tube so the body sits level up front.
    Jim
    The timing is great for this info as I'm preparing to install my firewall this weekend. Good points, thanks Jim!

Another question this brings up: those instructions show a "waterfall insulation" piece in the diagram, then the next picture shows it under the gas tank. Is this the proper location? I was going to put a rubber mat under the tank, but now can do this.

-Mike
    -- Mike -- TxMike64 -- @TxMGarage
    Gen1.5 Hot Rod '33 #1094 (Stage 1) - 302/AOD '15 IRS - Quad Built - Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TxMike64 View Post
    My Gen1.5 kit doesn't have the pieces with the slots, but has the striker covers... Who knows. I've looked at 4 different versions of the manual and not one of them seems to have all the info needed for this kit...

The timing is great for this info as I'm preparing to install my firewall this weekend. Good points, thanks Jim!

Another question this brings up: those instructions show a "waterfall insulation" piece in the diagram, then the next picture shows it under the gas tank. Is this the proper location? I was going to put a rubber mat under the tank, but now can do this.

-Mike
    That piece goes on the back side of the waterfall on the fiberglass. It says to clean the fiberglass in the instructions. I used a stick on ice shield for roofing under my tank. I had to bang the tank in place with my palm. Roofing tar paper would be a little thinner. Similar to what OEMs use on metal gas tanks against the frame. The picture is a lighting glitch.

18. Thanks TxMike64 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Your absolutely right Jim! I did order the insulation kit. It came with my first batch of POL stuff. I knew someone would have a good answer. Thanks for the info! You helped 2 people today.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRacer View Post
    Street Rod Jim had trouble on the driver's side firewall to body gap. The hole he drilled at one spot on the body was only about 3/4 on the fiberglass and he had to add some to encircle the rivnut. I know it should be centered and level, I just wasn't sure about the height.

21. Likes RoadRacer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That piece goes on the back side of the waterfall on the fiberglass. It says to clean the fiberglass in the instructions. I used a stick on ice shield for roofing under my tank. I had to bang the tank in place with my palm. Roofing tar paper would be a little thinner. Similar to what OEMs use on metal gas tanks against the frame. The picture is a lighting glitch.
    I had enough for a piece under the tank (made sure all other locations were covered) and on the waterfall piece I stuck it to the aluminum, not the fiberglass, worked out well.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe one piece goes on the aluminum rear cockpit panel and one on the back of the waterfall, but whatever works. That's why they're custom builds!

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe one piece goes on the aluminum rear cockpit panel and one on the back of the waterfall, but whatever works. That's why they're custom builds!
    All good, I actually put DEI Boom Mat (thermal/accoustic mat) on the back side of the panel from underneath so same/same, just a different approach.

Jim