FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: 33 Hot Rod Speaker/Radio Idea

Post Thanks / Like

33 Hot Rod Speaker/Radio Idea

Trying to see what everyone did for radio and speaker placement in there 33. Really don't want to install speakers in front doors. Want to do JBL waterproof bluetooth amp with 4 speaker and small powered subwoofer behind driver seat. Was thinking of 2 in back waterfall but no idea on the front placements.

Post Thanks / Like
    I put the front two in the center console pointing into each footwell. Not ideal but does give some sound forward. The rear ones in the waterfall is pretty standard.

As for the sub, I used the Kenwood KSC-PSW8. It does a good job BUT when the engine is running you can't tell it is on and the sound profile of the stereo overall is not great. Turn the engine off and it's a decent system. This is just FYI as there really isn't anything you can do about it - the low rumble of the FFR standard exhaust/muffler system just totally drowns out the low end of the music.

Steve
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

Post Thanks / Like
    My plan is to go minimalist as I have concerns about the high ambient noise situation, especially when driving without the top on. Smartphone for music source and Bluetooth earbuds when driving. Then maybe one of those "cupholder-ish" sized marine tuner/amp combos that accept a Bluetooth input. Connection panel in the trunk that I can hook a pair of loose speakers to for times when we're just sitting around.

Earl
    1st Speedstar in Canada 31 March 2023.
    Built by me 302 engine, AOD trans, 3.55 IRS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by narly1 View Post
    My plan is to go minimalist as I have concerns about the high ambient noise situation, especially when driving without the top on. Smartphone for music source and Bluetooth earbuds when driving. Then maybe one of those "cupholder-ish" sized marine tuner/amp combos that accept a Bluetooth input. Connection panel in the trunk that I can hook a pair of loose speakers to for times when we're just sitting around.

Earl
    Yup, I went with the marine gauge style stereo too on mine (has blue tooth too), works great. Put one speaker in each door and then two speakers in the waterfall behind me. The sound is great. I ran a grounded wire-type antenna through the firewall and then it runs along the top edge of the engine cover on the inside.

20210520_162829.jpg 20210517_191822.jpg

Jim
    33 Hot Rod w/ 302 & Tremec T5; paint color is 68 Ford Mustang GT LimeGold
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...s-Build-Thread

5. Thanks narly1 thanked for this post
    Likes jwelch7818 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm further questioning my need for an AM/FM tuner. I can't see myself sitting in drive time stop and go traffic and needing to listen for updates (that I can get on my smartphone anyways) very often, if at all.

Weekends baby!

And by minimalist my thinking is like your set-up (nicely done BTW), no console panel between the dash and the trans tunnel, with the tuner + a couple of cup holders hidden beneath a center armrest.

Earl

7. Thanks 33fromSD thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I built a speaker box from particle board that is mounted under the dash in front of my shifter. Will have speakers in the waterfall, but those aren't installed yet. I also have subs mounted under the seats (Gen 1 build). Sorry no pics available now - I'm away on vacation. If you're interested, PM me an email address and I'll send you photos when I get back home.

I went with a Pioneer DMH-C2550NEX receiver - mainly because it has a separable body and display. I have them both mounted behind the dash (display pokes through), in front of the AC unit. The power amp is in an electronics bay under the trunk and above the IRS. Sheet metal fab and wiring are currently in progress.

Keith HR #894

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are a couple of related threads...

Tim Collins built some subwoofer boxes tucked away in a cool location https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Build-summary

Andreas tossed around some audio options https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Audio-Options

Steve
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

Post Thanks / Like
    How are the front speakers in the door panels...any crazy vibration while driving? Did you reinforce the backing were you mounted them in ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 33fromSD View Post
    Yup, I went with the marine gauge style stereo too on mine (has blue tooth too), works great. Put one speaker in each door and then two speakers in the waterfall behind me. The sound is great. I ran a grounded wire-type antenna through the firewall and then it runs along the top edge of the engine cover on the inside.

20210520_162829.jpg 20210517_191822.jpg

Jim
    How are the front speakers in the door panels...any crazy vibration while driving? Did you reinforce the backing were you mounted them in ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hooligan989 View Post
    In the Gen2 Kit the door panels has a very thick aluminum panel under the padded vinyl (almost 1/8" thick) so I just have mine bolted (screw / nut) right to the aluminum panel (no backing required) and then the door panel itself is secured with trim screws into the door shell so it very secure with no vibration or any movement.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry for the thread jack, but I have a question for 33fromSD - I see in the picture above you have your speaker wires routed thru the typical conduit arrangement sold by most of the hot rod shops. I am finishing up the power window install in my hot rod and that is the final step I need to complete. The thing is , I modified the door stops on my car to allow a wider open position for easier entry/exit. In looking at the various options it looks to me that there is no way that type of conduit is going to work for the angle needed on my car. Is that part working out to your satisfaction? I can't tell from the pics if your door is open wider than standard but I have read where others had less than optimum results when using that same type of conduit set up. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sread View Post
    Sorry for the thread jack, but I have a question for 33fromSD - I see in the picture above you have your speaker wires routed thru the typical conduit arrangement sold by most of the hot rod shops. I am finishing up the power window install in my hot rod and that is the final step I need to complete. The thing is , I modified the door stops on my car to allow a wider open position for easier entry/exit. In looking at the various options it looks to me that there is no way that type of conduit is going to work for the angle needed on my car. Is that part working out to your satisfaction? I can't tell from the pics if your door is open wider than standard but I have read where others had less than optimum results when using that same type of conduit set up. Thanks.
    Have you seen these?:

https://www.streetmusclemag.com/news...contact-brand/

Granted the speakers wouldn't work when the doors were open but they would work independent of how far the door swings out.

Earl

15. Thanks sread thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sread View Post
    sread:
    I too am not using the suggested door stops which allows me to open the doors wider. It's working out for me regarding the conduit kit but I had to s**t-can the braided conduit that came with the pass through conduit kit (too stiff) and go with a slightly smaller diameter plastic conduit which flexes more and slides easier in the aluminum housing. I also added a rubber grommet on the back of the door just slight smaller in diameter than the plastic conduit so it holds the coduit in the door in place so only the conduit in the door jam floats in and out of the aluminum housing into the body. So far so good. See the pics I attached

Also keep in mind I only have one speaker wire running in each conduit so I'm not passing a lot of wires through the system.

20220825_135437.jpg 20220825_135518.jpg

Jim

17. Thanks sread thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by narly1 View Post
    Have you seen these?:

https://www.streetmusclemag.com/news...contact-brand/

Granted the speakers wouldn't work when the doors were open but they would work independent of how far the door swings out.

Earl
    Yes sir - I considered using the magnum shooters and may still go that route. That is what I use for the electrical connections for the removable hard top. One issue is the gap where I need to place them is a little large even with the door closed but they could probably be made to work with a little effort.

19. Likes narly1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am in the process of installing a stereo in my hot rod. About have way in, I with that I just got a bluetooth amp and a couple of speakers. It just looks cleaner without a screen or deck. I then just stream from my cell phone.