Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Starter Solenoid

Post Thanks / Like

Starter Solenoid

Need some assistance with the start wire connection please? I connected the solenoid start wire to the Y/B wire from the main engine harness and was able to start the engine but the starter continues to run when the key is off. I'm obviously connecting to the wrong circuit. Any advice on how top locate the correct wire to splice into? The Subaru wire diagram identifies a Y wire but that circuit does not work.

Thanks.

Mike Hemstreet
    818s in Northern VA

Post Thanks / Like
    The wire color varies by year, but it’s the one from the starter interlock switch, which activates when the clutch is depressed all the way. It should go to 12v when the ignition switch is turned to start and the clutch depressed, and to ground when the switch or clutch is released. If so, the starter relay may be bad. If not, the wrong wire may be connected to the starter.

Below are the colors for 3 different years. What year is your harness?
    2004: Yellow (Y) wire from the starter interlock switch for all the manual models.
    2006 and 07: Yellow blue (YL) wire from the starter interlock switch for the manual turbo models, yellow (Y) wire from the starter interlock switch for the manual non-turbo models.

Hope this helps,
    RPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Very helpful, thanks! I have a 2006 WRX MT so the YL (yellow blue wire), I mistakenly mentioned it as YB, sorry. I spliced it in the main engine harness and am assuming that YL is exclusive to that circuit but maybe not? So I either have the correct circuit and my interlock and/or solenoid are bad or I have the wrong circuit?

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Mike,

Here's the 2006 schematic for your WRX starter.
    06 turbo starter wiring.jpg

Note that there are other Yellow/Blue (YL) wires with different functions. I suggest identifying your starter interlock relay by the 4 wires attached to it: White/Red, Yellow/Blue, another White/Red, and Green/Yellow. Then follow that Yellow/Blue wire to your splice. You can also disconnect the YL wire from the relay and measure the resistance from that connector to your splice. It should read 0 ohms. If not, the splice may be in the wrong YL wire. If it does read 0, the ignition switch may be sticking in "start" or the starter relay may be sticking "ON". I don't think a starter interlock failure would produce your symptoms.

If you don't have the schematics for 2006, PM me with an email address and I'll send you a copy.

Hope this is a simple fix for you.
    RPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Problem resolved thanks to your help. Replaced the relay, ignition switch and adjusted the clutch pedal switch. Cranks, starts and turns off. Now on to harness trimming!

Thanks!