Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: STI donor, Boyd tank and no fuel level indication

Post Thanks / Like

STI donor, Boyd tank and no fuel level indication

If there's a thread about this I didn't find it. I've seen discussions about using one sensor (Subaru) and others about the Boyd system...
    I'm not sure what I have wrong.
    I'm using the Boyd supplied level sensor. It has about 95 ohms at empty and ~0 ohms at full, which I think is right.
    The gauge pod from the 2006 STI donor seems to show the needle coming off the peg, after the full sweep at start up, then its not moving. Tried with sensor out of the tank and no matter what position, the needle's not moving.
    I've seen threads saying the ECM is looking for 0-90 ohms, and others saying it should be about double that.
    According to the wiring diagram, the sensor output goes to the ECM, not the gauge pod; like the temp sensor for example.

Any suggestions would be apreciated

Post Thanks / Like
    I suggest checking the voltage across the fuel level sensor wires as you move the float up and down to verify that it changes from 0 to some positive value. If not, it’s not getting sensor current. If so, that varying voltage isn’t getting to the gauge.

My schematic for 2006 (below) shows the fuel level sensor connected directly to an interface inside the combination meter and then to the fuel gauge, at least for models with air conditioning. (I suspect that’s a copy/paste error, continued to 2007.) It’s also connected to the ECM.

06 fuel gauge wiring.jpg

My schematic for 2007 (below) shows the fuel level sensor connected directly to an interface inside the combination meter and then to a microcomputer and then to the fuel gauge, at least for models with air conditioning. It’s also connected to the ECM.

07 fuel gauge wiring.jpg

For either year, it appears that the fuel level sensor has to be connected to the combination meter A3 (Connector i12 Pin 3).

Hope that helps,
    RPG

3. Thanks driveslikejehu thanked for this post
    Likes driveslikejehu liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    You have the correct resistance values at full and empty. Verify the resistance values coming from your sender with a multi-meter are as expected. Try leaving the sender hooked up to the gauge cluster for a few minutes, it may take some time for the level to settle out. I'm also running the Boyd tank with 06 sti cluster and 02 wrx ECU.

5. Thanks driveslikejehu thanked for this post
    Likes driveslikejehu liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very helpful folks...
    Since the post I went back and dug in some more and found, as you noted, that the wire does also connect to the gauge cluster and that connection seemed good.
    I tried jacking up one side (alot!) to see if the gauge changed- it didn't. Following the suggestion, I tried it with the sender out of the tank and saw the voltage changing.
    Turned it off and back on, and level changed to what it should be. So, turning off causes it to re-read or something. Not sure what this means for an emptying tank, but in any case it does seem to be working.
    Thanks for your helpful response