Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Additional Tuning?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Additional Tuning?

So I've got about 2,500 miles on my Gen II Coyote in my Coupe. I had some original issues with it running too rich, but after a few tunes with Bama, for the most part I can't complain— the engine seems pretty happy, and no engine codes.

My only complaint is that after driving it for any amount of time, I come home smelling like I just took a shower under the exhaust pipe of a 1970's Cadillac. I don't mind it too much, but my wife definitely doesn't enjoy it.

Quick question: is this just par for the course for having straight pipes and no cat on a Coyote? Or do you think it may still be running a bit too rich? Is it worth more tuning time, or is this a case of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"?
    Cheers,

--jim

Build 1: Gen III Type 65 Coupe, Gen II Coyote

Post Thanks / Like
    A good tuner can do wonders for that engine. Seek out the top Mustang tuners near you and see of they can help.
    99/2000 NASA PSO Champion-2005 west coast FFR challenge series Champions
    Sponsor Tony B's 2007 ST2 National Championship
    2009 NASA TTC runner up-2010 NASA TTB runner up

3. Likes Alan_C liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nope. Not normal. One of the advantages of the Coyote setup, whichever version, is how clean it runs with basically zero exhaust smell. Definitely need to get the tune adjusted. My experience with the Gen 2 Coyote in my 20th Anniversary Roadster was I ran it about 1,000 miles with the stock Ford tune and it ran decently. No smell. Based on other's experiences, had a custom tune done and it ran even better. Especially at low RPM's. And still no smell. Mine was tuned by Lund Racing, which I've used several times and recommend. However, they've gotten quite expensive. If you have a local tuner you can probably get it done for less. But important that they have experience with the crate motor as there are some differences over the standard Mustang.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.