FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Vi-king coilovers

Post Thanks / Like

Vi-king coilovers

Question for the suspension gurus. I'm looking for someone to confirm that these coilovers would work or not for the Gtm before I buy them. They would be using a 2.25" spring. The specs are
    Ride Height Range: 13-3/8" to 14-1/2"
    Mounting: Eyelet-Bearing / Eyelet-Bearing
    Berserker Series
    Compressed Height 11.30" / Extended Height 16.55" / Stroke 5.25"
    Custom mount coil-over triple adjustable aluminum shock.
    Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like
    I just looked the specs on my factory yellow koni shocks.
    it turns out they are designed for dirt track racing.
    here are the specs:

Front: (koni) 30-5436
    Max length: 15.75"
    Min length: 10.75"
    Stroke: 5”
    Test velocity: 2.05
    Compression force: 45
    Rebound adjustment position//forces (lbs.):
    0-100
    1-110
    2-120
    3-145

Springs
    Front: 450lbs 2 1/2”
    Rear: 750lbs 2 1/2”
    Last edited by rolfer; 12-25-2022 at 06:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    frankenford

I've had brief discussions with Vi-King. They've indicated that they are working on a Quad Adjust in the Beserker series. Might want to ask if that would be of interest for your build.

My Challenge Car plan includes Beserkers.

Jim
    2016 Mk4 Challenge Car, IRS, 3.31 Torsen, RDI Aluminum 427w, AFR 225s, Vic Jr. ProSystems 780 HP, TKO-600 w/Liberty mods. Forward cage. Levy 6/4 piston Wilwoods. Not completed yet, will be a streetable track car.
    2004 Superformance MkIII #1855, 2007 Superformance MkIII #2584 purchased in 2012 both sold.

Master Builder
    Post Thanks / Like
    I dont know about use on this but we are using the Viking Coil overs on a 85 Montecarlo and the look like nice quality.

Post Thanks / Like
    It has been a while since I had any experience with the "stock" GTM shocks, but IIRC the rears were too long of a stroke and caused the CVs to go into bind. The cure for that before going to shorter throw shocks was limiting straps. It's been over 10 years since we moved away from the stock shocks so it could have been an issue with our first set of custom shocks, I can't remember for sure. Wish I had the stroke number and over all length here with me that we are currently using but I don't. Might be able to get that tonight. If you have the car all together I think I would look at the CVs at the droop length of the shock you are looking at and see if they go into bind. It is a small thing but adding limiting straps to an already busy rear end of this car just makes things more complex. Probably the best way to be sure is to take a steel square tube, drill holes in it at the shock specified distance and install this into the car as a fake/mock up shock.
    Last edited by crash; 12-27-2022 at 11:03 AM.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

6. Thanks frankenford thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crash View Post
    "the rears were too long of a stroke and caused the CVs to go into bind."
    Im really glad you brought this up because wouldn't have thought about this. If you can find your numbers for the rears as far as max and min length and travel that would be very helpful. from just looking at vi-kings website the do have a slightly shorter model. Specs are
    Shock Series: Berserker
    Tuning: triple Adjustable - Independent Compression (split into low and high speed adjustments) and Rebound
    Ride Height Range: 12-1/2" to 13-1/2"
    Compressed Height: 10.68"
    Extended Height: 15.33"
    Shock Stroke: 4.65"
    I don't have my mendiola yet so I wont be able to test for binding so if anyone can check that would also be great.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use Viking C207-D, bought these long time ago.

I can take pictures of front and post if needed.

Mostafa

9. Thanks frankenford thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did your use the c207-d on front and back? Was the length of the shock a good setup for your ride height? And last question… What’s you overall impression of the shocks from Viking?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, used for front and back, on the front the knobs are in the top but in the rear they are on the bottom, a bit harder to get too but still possible without removing the tire.
    As you see at least on front there is about 3 inch or so left at about typical height setting.

About the ride, they are fine, I just have not driven the car enough to really have a very objective view.

20230104_200125.jpgShock_Rear2.jpgShock_1.jpgShock_Front1.jpgShock_Rear1.jpgShock_Rear2.jpgShock_1.jpgShock_Front1.jpgShock_Rear1.jpg, add more pic
    Last edited by KGTM; 01-08-2023 at 02:50 PM. Reason: added more comments, added more pics from past

Post Thanks / Like
    The current rear shock length we are running is 16 3/8" eye center to eye center sitting on the bench. We have had no issues using these shocks as far as binding of axles, even when we were using the stock location mounts. Looks like you will have no issues with the selected Vi King shocks as far as length and over extending the LCA thus producing axle bind.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks crash and KGTM for the info. Going to put my order in tomorrow. I need to put a order in with myraceshop as well for those grinding stones.

Post Thanks / Like
    You may want to 0rder the Bump rubber also, you see it i pictures.
    I also order these rings that goes between the adjustments knots, help turning during adjustment. you can also see in pictures it is very thin spacer with bearing on it.