Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: How to Install Rear Quick Jack Bolts Once Tank and Trunk Floor are Installed

Post Thanks / Like

Question How to Install Rear Quick Jack Bolts Once Tank and Trunk Floor are Installed

Hi - What's the latest and best method to install the rear quick jack bolts once the tank and trunk floor are already installed? How does Factory Five do it when no one is looking?

I just mounted the body for the first time, getting ready to fit / gap the doors, hood, and trunk lid.

Thanks,

Post Thanks / Like
    Hate to tell you but you might need to drop the tank. While you’re at it, look up the “Kleiner mod” which uses a nut coupler to allow you to install quick jack bolts without dropping the tank in the future

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by egchewy79 View Post
    Hate to tell you but you might need to drop the tank. While you’re at it, look up the “Kleiner mod” which uses a nut coupler to allow you to install quick jack bolts without dropping the tank in the future
    Surely after hundreds / thousands of kits sold, Factory Five would have put a small detail like this in their latest instruction manual, yes? I've seen the Kleiner mod, but before I head that route I'm hoping to hear back from a tech at Factory Five to understand how they do it.

Thanks,

32J

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32J View Post
    Surely after hundreds / thousands of kits sold, Factory Five would have put a small detail like this in their latest instruction manual, yes? I've seen the Kleiner mod, but before I head that route I'm hoping to hear back from a tech at Factory Five to understand how they do it.

Thanks,

32J
    You can still do the kleiner mod after the fuel tank is installed. A 1/2" bolt will fit on the passenger side upper (the tightest point). Bit of a contortion act to do it but can be done (had to do it myself). I really do recommend the mod as it allows you an additional point to move the body in and out. Especially when mounting the trunk lid. As I had to trim less because I moved the body to the bottom lip. Just some food for thought.

5. Thanks 32J thanked for this post

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Ditto On The Kleiner Rear Bumper Mount Modification!

................It Simply Works & Works Well!

7. Thanks 32J thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rthomas98 View Post
    You can still do the kleiner mod after the fuel tank is installed. A 1/2" bolt will fit on the passenger side upper (the tightest point). Bit of a contortion act to do it but can be done (had to do it myself). I really do recommend the mod as it allows you an additional point to move the body in and out. Especially when mounting the trunk lid. As I had to trim less because I moved the body to the bottom lip. Just some food for thought.
    I'm leaning towards the mod. (Would still like to hear from FFR tech, though.) Question: for the 7/16 bolt, does a 1/2" shank length offer enough 'bite' for the coupler, after it passes through the mounting plate, sound mat (in my case), and some carpeting? I suppose I can buy 1" long bolts and then hack them shorter if I have trouble passing them through from the tank side. I'm not Andre the Giant, but I don't have baby hands, either.

Thanks,

32J

Post Thanks / Like
    I suppose you can put a length of all thread through and double nut on the back side as well, or tack weld the nut to the thread if you have a welder.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been wondering for several months now...does anyone use the quick jacks at the rear (or the front) for real lifting?

The size of the bolts makes me think this is purely cosmetic...

Craig C

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cc2Arider View Post
    I've been wondering for several months now...does anyone use the quick jacks at the rear (or the front) for real lifting?

The size of the bolts makes me think this is purely cosmetic...

Craig C
    They are cosmetic.
    MK3 Challenge Car, Boss 347, Sniper 2 EFI

Post Thanks / Like
    cosmetic, but besides the windshield and roll bar, are really the only thing holding the body to the frame.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cc2Arider View Post
    I've been wondering for several months now...does anyone use the quick jacks at the rear (or the front) for real lifting?Craig C
    As they come equipped from FFR..NO. Additional reinforcement to the frame is req'd, and will require welding. This may give you an idea of what is required at the front.
    m_DSC08602.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32J View Post
    I'm leaning towards the mod. (Would still like to hear from FFR tech, though.) Question: for the 7/16 bolt, does a 1/2" shank length offer enough 'bite' for the coupler, after it passes through the mounting plate, sound mat (in my case), and some carpeting? I suppose I can buy 1" long bolts and then hack them shorter if I have trouble passing them through from the tank side. I'm not Andre the Giant, but I don't have baby hands, either.

Thanks,

32J
    The coupler actually ends up against the frame when tight not the aluminum/carpet/sound deadener etc. It will fit through the hole already in panel. So more then enough room with a 1/2" length bolt.

Here is a link to the Kleiner Mod. Easier to see the pictures. He uses 1/2" long bolts as well.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...22-Kleiner-Mod
    Last edited by rthomas98; 10-11-2022 at 02:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a link to the Kleiner Mod. Easier to see the pictures.

Hey, thanks for posting that! Saved me from having to dig it up

Jeff

16. Likes rthomas98 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    So how many on this thread know the legend of Captain O-Ring.....
    FFR 5385 MKIII. 302, 3-Link. All legal in MA 1/7/2012.

Post Thanks / Like
    The bolts install from the outside of the body in....................... So what am I missing? We are talking about quick jacks and NOT bumpers, correct? You can get to every nut from the inside. The upper passenger side is accessible from the fuel pump access cover and the driver's side you can reach over the top of the tank from the side of the car. Bottom two are easily reached up from the bottom. I've built dozens of these cars and never had an issue getting quick jacks installed.

Now bumpers/over riders????? That's a horse of a different color

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott L View Post

Jeff/Captain O

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott L View Post
    I do not know this story. (sitting in front of a fire awaiting a grand tale of gallantry and magic)

Post Thanks / Like
    The coupler actually ends up against the frame when tight not the aluminum/carpet/sound deadener etc. It will fit through the hole already in panel. So more then enough room with a 1/2" length bolt.

Here is a link to the Kleiner Mod. Easier to see the pictures. He uses 1/2" long bolts as well.

I picked-up some some hardware and went with 1" long bolts to start. If they're too long for me to maneuver in through the back-side of the mounting plates, I can cut the length down as needed.

Thanks,

32J

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    I used a crowfoot wrench and a number of extensions on a ratchet.

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    I used the couplers per the Jeff mod. I installed bolts that ended approx half way through the coupling.
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by egchewy79 View Post
    I suppose you can put a length of all thread through and double nut on the back side as well, or tack weld the nut to the thread if you have a welder.
    This is what I did.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l=1#post315838
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

25. Thanks Derald Rice thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It is possible to get to them from underneath...

Did it for years.... but considering the rare need for access it is not a big deal

But when I did the drop floor, I added the fuel tank access plate on the pass side, and the pass nuts are easily available through that access hole.

On the driver side, I drilled one inch holes through the dropped rear wall for access and then covered the holes with cap plugs.
    MK2 #3319.... On the road since 2002 with a lot of upgrades