Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Fuel Tank Side Cover - Weather Stripping

Post Thanks / Like

Fuel Tank Side Cover - Weather Stripping

Hi Guys, I think I am missing some weather-stripping and have some fitment issues. Maybe you can help.

2022-10-17 07.56.03.jpg

For this panel pictures above, it seems like on V2 this panel does not fit as shown. (not sure why it is upside down - maybe that is my issue....) I am assuming I just need to cut out by the hinge
    to get it to work? I will have to put mine on after the body is on due to wire routing. I do not have a roll bar in the way and can slip it in.

Look how big mine is. I would have to take off a lot to make it fit. It is really hard to tell since I do not have the body on site.
    2022-10-17 07.52.31.jpg

2) Also, is this panel suppose to get the weather-stripping that has a horizontal clip compared to the stripping on the trunk area which has a vertical clip? If so, I am missing a piece. See pic. If not, what is this for? I only have one of these about 1.5ft. (maybe it is for both striker panels pictured below?) FFR suggested the vertical clipping version like I used on the trunk panels is what I should use. But they did not supply enough. What is it called to search for some more if that is what I need...FRR does not seem to want to be bothered.

2022-10-17 07.53.58.jpg
    2022-10-17 07.51.29.jpg
    3) I remember seeing a half moon type insulation strip that goes on the body of the car where the door closes in the manual somewhere (I can't seem to find that reference for some reason) . Is this the similar type of stripping used to go under the hard top? If not, I am not sure I have it.

Let me know and thanks!

SRJ
    33 Hot Rod V2 Coupe, Extra Clearance Hood, Bike Fenders, Rear Exhaust, LS Engine

Post Thanks / Like
    What’s your dimensions on that piece.
    Mine is 6.5 x 19.25 and fits well.
    You’ll need to install it after the body is put on for the last time.
    56EEC2FC-0C88-4FF9-AD26-81C78088718D.jpg
    Last edited by JimLev; 10-22-2022 at 06:20 PM.
    '33 Hotrod, #1047 Gen 1, delivered on 2/27/18, go cart on 9/24/18.
    LS3 w/Gearstar Level 3 4L65e Tranny, Yank converter, Lokar shifter, Electric PS, Vintage AC/Heat/Def, 8.8" 3.55
    TorqThrust II Wheels w/Toyo Proxy T1 Sport Tires, F 235/45ZR17 R 295/35ZR18
    Garage Built, Driveway Painted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    What’s your dimensions on that piece.
    Mine is 6.5 x 19.25 and fits well.
    You’ll need to install it after the body is put on for the last time.
    56EEC2FC-0C88-4FF9-AD26-81C78088718D.jpg
    Hi Jim. Mine is the same. Looks like yours is floating over the hinge? Is this a V2? Mine is. The original picture shows the top curved part flush with the top of the frame. Is this true or does it extend past?

Thanks,
    SRJ
    33 Hot Rod V2 Coupe, Extra Clearance Hood, Bike Fenders, Rear Exhaust, LS Engine

Post Thanks / Like
    Jim, I have the Gen 1 kit.
    See if this answered your questions.

40AC11B9-B0DC-4689-997F-9B399132B0E1.jpeg

Looks better this way.
    77412095-8A5A-44EB-A8EB-2943BDDF02EC.jpeg
    Last edited by JimLev; 10-23-2022 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Flipped your pic
    '33 Hotrod, #1047 Gen 1, delivered on 2/27/18, go cart on 9/24/18.
    LS3 w/Gearstar Level 3 4L65e Tranny, Yank converter, Lokar shifter, Electric PS, Vintage AC/Heat/Def, 8.8" 3.55
    TorqThrust II Wheels w/Toyo Proxy T1 Sport Tires, F 235/45ZR17 R 295/35ZR18
    Garage Built, Driveway Painted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    Jim, I have the Gen 1 kit.
    See if this answered your questions.

40AC11B9-B0DC-4689-997F-9B399132B0E1.jpeg

Looks better this way.
    77412095-8A5A-44EB-A8EB-2943BDDF02EC.jpeg
    Not sure why it was upside down. It is correct in my computer.

The weather-stripping came with the car.

If you look at my picture closely, the panel is 3 inches too long and runs into the hinge area. Or I can align it above the hinge and it would stick up 3 " past the top of the frame. I guess I will have to wait until I get the body back. But at least this conversation has given me some boundaries. Hopefully a V2 user will have more info on the other questions. Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Street Rod Jim View Post
    Not sure why it was upside down. It is correct in my computer.

The weather-stripping came with the car.

If you look at my picture closely, the panel is 3 inches too long and runs into the hinge area. Or I can align it above the hinge and it would stick up 3 " past the top of the frame. I guess I will have to wait until I get the body back. But at least this conversation has given me some boundaries. Hopefully a V2 user will have more info on the other questions. Thanks again.
    On my Gen 2, I aligned mine just above the hinge and then let it stick up the 3" or so above the top of the frame. There is plenty of room above the top of the frame with the body on. The insulation you put around that aluminum panel is meant to seal the panel against the body once the body is installed but to set the right expectations for you, it's not an exact fit against the body.

Also, once the waterfall is installed you or anyone else for that matter will never see that panel.

Jim
    33 Hot Rod w/ 302 & Tremec T5; paint color is 68 Ford Mustang GT LimeGold
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...s-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    [/COLOR][/FONT]2022-10-17 07.51.29.jpg
    [/COLOR][/FONT]
    Yes, this triangular shaped panel is the striker plate panel, however, how your holding it in the picture is upside down and the slot in the panel goes over the lower bump in the bracket. It covers that triangular cavity in the footwell. See the edited pic I included. This is another panel you attach after the body is on prior to doing interior finishing.

fullsizeoutput_8d.jpeg

Jim
    Last edited by 33fromSD; 10-24-2022 at 05:29 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 33fromSD View Post
    The insulation you put around that aluminum panel is meant to seal the panel against the body once the body

Jim
    So is this the same vertical clip insulation like the trunk, or the right angle one I showed in the picture?

Post Thanks / Like
    your holding it in the picture is upside down and the slot in the panel goes over the lower bump in the bracket. It covers that triangular cavity in the footwell.

fullsizeoutput_8d.jpeg

Jim
    Hmmm, I already have that area covered with another panel which was installed after my original picture was taken. Even though the manual does not show the correct picture (it shows V1) it seems this is suppose to bridge the gap between the interior and the body just like the one by the gas tank. Otherwise you would have a big gapping hole....

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmm, I already have that area covered with another panel which was installed after my original picture was taken. Even though the manual does not show the correct picture (it shows V1) it seems this is suppose to bridge the gap between the interior and the body just like the one by the gas tank. Otherwise you would have a big gapping hole....
    Oops, sorry, I forgot about the aluminum panel that runs along the whole side into that triangular area you're talking about, it's been 2 years since I did mine.

The striker cover is easiest figured out once the body is back on. The one in your pic is either upside down or you have the front side facing in, but I know something is not right with it the way you have it shown.

Once you're body is reinstalled you'll be able to figure it out.

I'd take a picture of mine for you but it's already stored for the winter up on the lift with another car under it so getting to it would be challenging at best.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    So is this the same vertical clip insulation like the trunk, or the right angle one I showed in the picture?

I used the right angle stuff you showed i the picture

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    I used the right angle stuff you showed i the picture

Jim

And by the way, this panel gets installed after the body is back on too.

Jim