Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Starter solenoid going?

Post Thanks / Like

Starter solenoid going?

I was out doing some fun driving a few weeks back and just like other trips around the back roads, it draws a crowd and this time I stopped to chat. When I went to leave I hit the starter button and the starter just spun and didn’t engage the fly wheel. Tried again and same thing. I hopped out rocked the car a bit in gear to move the fly wheel then fired right up no problem. Ok, maybe just a fluke, until it happened 2-3 times this last weekend. This time around rocking the car didn’t immediately solve it and took a few tries before it would crank over.

I checked all the wiring connections at the starter and everything looks solid. Haven’t pulled the inspection cover off yet, but the part of the flywheel I see looks fine.

So what’s the chances the solenoid is going and I got lucky for it to actually engage and get me home?

Post Thanks / Like
    If possible try tapping the starter and solenoid with a hammer while cranking. Sometimes the tapping works without simultaneously cranking. Old tow truck driver trick.
    Last edited by icoulabeenav8; 11-01-2022 at 09:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't believe it's a solenoid issue as the solenoid only triggers the starter motor to turn which you say is occurring. The motor when it comes up to speed throws the pinon gear out by centrifigul force to engage with the flywheel. Several possible issues could be the pinon gear is sticking on the starter motor shaft or the possiblity that the motor is not spinning up to speed. If the pinion gear is sticicking, cleaning and a small amount of lubrication may solve the problem. I would pull the starter and try running it on the bench and see if the gear moves outward as it would to engage the flywheel. Worst case would be to have the starter motor tested. Could also be I suppose a bad cable with high resistance not providing sufficient voltage to the motor. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the feedback guys.

I'm headed out of town tomorrow and won't be back till late Sunday, so likely pull this starter the following weekend and see what I'm dealing with.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like the starter bendix, which is pretty much what cob427sc is also saying (related to the pinion gear).

I haven't heard of a need to smack the starter since the 80s.

Not saying it won't work now, especially if it actually is a "starter bendix/pinion gear" issue.
    Rob Windsor

Post Thanks / Like
    Most starters these days with a solenoid mounted on it have a dual purpose. They will engage the starter drive (Bendex) and connect power to the field coils in the housing causing the armature to turn. 99% of the time if the motor turns the starter drive (Bendex) one way clutch is slipping. Replace the Bendex.
    33 Hot Rod Stage 1, Gen.2 ordered 11/11/2021 started June 12, 2022, LS3 E-Rod crate engine, Tremec TKX, 8.8 WITH 3.55 Ratio and limited slip with 31 spline axles.17X8 and18x10 Race Star wheels wrapped in Conti Extreme contact DWS tires, Mustang Cobra brakes all around. Electric PS and AC. Hard top, electric windows and bike fenders. First Start 5/31/2023. Go-Kart 6/2/2023.

7. Likes J R Jones liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ditto on what Mastertech said. The starter won't turn until the solenoid has pulled in and closed the contacts internally, which is just a copper disc making contact with the battery contact and the starter motor contact, So, if it's spinning that is all working. The Bendix gear is probably the culprit. If you have had any engine kick back, from excess advanced timing, this is very hard on the Bendix . The Bendix is just an overrunning clutch, or one way clutch, that has three ball bearing in a wedge cut into the Bendix housing. On normal rotation of the starter the bearings are forced down into the wedge and let all the power of the starter be transformed to turning the flywheel. As the wedge portion of the Bendix wears the ball bearings won't lock themselves into the wedge area and the starter just spins. If you cut one apart it's easy to see how they work.
    FFR 9883 MKIV ,427 Windsor engine
    TKX 5 speed, Three Link 3.55 gears
    Power Steering, Leather Seats
    18" Wheels and Tires, Drop Trunk
    Fun Package

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome guys, thanks for the feedback.

After doing some more reading I’m wondering if I got my shimming of the starter incorrect causing this premature failure. I’ll try to check the clearance before I remove this starter to see where it’s at. When I first installed the starter and cranked the engine over to get oil pressure it let out a hellacious noise. I then discovered these starters get shimmed and now wondering if I got it wrong. We’ll see soon enough.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    Awesome guys, thanks for the feedback.

After doing some more reading I’m wondering if I got my shimming of the starter incorrect causing this premature failure. I’ll try to check the clearance before I remove this starter to see where it’s at. When I first installed the starter and cranked the engine over to get oil pressure it let out a hellacious noise. I then discovered these starters get shimmed and now wondering if I got it wrong. We’ll see soon enough.
    Many people have had interference issues with the pressure plate bolts against the bell housing. You may want to check for this also.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    I think he's running the Mendy.....
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Yup, running the Mendy Stage 2.

I do remember I needed shorter pressure plate bolts as the ones Mendy supplied were too long.

Post Thanks / Like
    I remember this was no easy task trying to get a paper clip in there to measure, but incase anyone was wondering, here’s what I found.

https://static.summitracing.com/glob...ter%20inst.pdf

14. Likes VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC liked this post