Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Is this Transmission workable?

Post Thanks / Like

Is this Transmission workable?

Hi, I am starting!!
    I currently have a 5.0 engine from a 1999 Bronco at an engine builder to be balanced, blueprinted, heads, cam and crank done
    Should be 350ish HP.
    I am told that a repopped Mustang tranny will work.
    I found this as an example .. anyone got an opinion? (retorical I know)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/28499756168...547309183ad2c8

Thanks guys,
    Fred

Post Thanks / Like
    not sure what the max torque is for a T5z. I have a T5z paired w/ my 289 HiPo and seems to work just fine. check out the new TKX trans. same size but stronger.

Post Thanks / Like
    The T5z is rated for 330ftlbs and up to 430hp. The TKX 600 ftlbs. Overkill, but I am good with overkill. Waiting to hear from the engine guy.
    Thanks for the help!

Post Thanks / Like
    I am running a T-5 out of an '89 Mustang with engine calculated 350+ HP at the flywheel. Remember, the roadster is about 2300 lbs., a lot lighter than the Mustang, thus the transmission will not experience as much stress. I built both the engine and transmission (also added the upgraded Billet cluster support plate) and both are running great at 3600 miles. I'm happy with the combination, however, replacing internal transmission parts cost me about $1000. I also had to source the parts from several different sellers.

George

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes.
    99/2000 NASA PSO Champion-2005 west coast FFR challenge series Champions
    Sponsor Tony B's 2007 ST2 National Championship
    2009 NASA TTC runner up-2010 NASA TTB runner up

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys!
    First of likely many questions. I also talked with a few Mustang guys local here. Likely going with the T5z.
    Cheers!!

Post Thanks / Like
    If you want to have a straight up shifter handle in the proper location for an FIA car, you'll need to do the S10 modification, changing the tailshaft and a couple other small parts. The location of the shifter on that transmission is fine for the 427, but not the FIA.
    Rick

Mk4 with Mr. Bruce FIA body, 331 w/ Speedmaster Stack Injection, Full Width Roll Bar with high brake lights by i.e.427, IRS, ABS, PS, PB, FAST FI, First start 3/30/20, First go-kart 7/5/20, paint by Ken Pike

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EZ$ View Post
    If you want to have a straight up shifter handle in the proper location for an FIA car, you'll need to do the S10 modification, changing the tailshaft and a couple other small parts. The location of the shifter on that transmission is fine for the 427, but not the FIA.
    Is that something one buys or makes? I did a bit of a search and not sure.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by egchewy79 View Post
    not sure what the max torque is for a T5z. I have a T5z paired w/ my 289 HiPo and seems to work just fine. check out the new TKX trans. same size but stronger.
    Reach out to Mike Forte, his TKXs are about the best price around.
    FFR Roadster Delivered 9/16/21
    Forte 427 Fuel Injected with TKX Transmission
    Forte's Axle

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, I ordered the TKX, the mid shift kit, bell housing and a Moser rear end from Mike. Might as well do it right.

He did bring up a potential issue .. I got an engine from a 99 Explorer, my builder said it had the GT40 heads and that he could work them instead of buying new ones as was planned however ... do the P heads from the explorer have issues with fitment with factory 5 j pipes or headers? Does anyone know?

Thanks for all the help guys .. I am soooo stoked!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FredG View Post
    OK, I ordered the TKX, the mid shift kit, bell housing and a Moser rear end from Mike. Might as well do it right.

He did bring up a potential issue .. I got an engine from a 99 Explorer, my builder said it had the GT40 heads and that he could work them instead of buying new ones as was planned however ... do the P heads from the explorer have issues with fitment with factory 5 j pipes or headers? Does anyone know?

Thanks for all the help guys .. I am soooo stoked!
    you will much happier with the TKX Looking at that ad fir that T5 it has 4cy turbo gear set. (4.03 first gear!!) THe 4 cy versions are not rated for the power of a 5.0 HO let alone 350HP