Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  22

Thread: So who is actively building a GTM currently?

Post Thanks / Like

So who is actively building a GTM currently?

There haven't been many build posts here lately, other than Sean and Shane.
    If you are currently building a GTM, please post an update! Let us know where you are on your builds!
    MK3.1 2004 Mach 1 donor. ABS, PS, TC.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3
    2000 C5 Lingenfelter LS1@489hp
    1999 Corvette FRC/Z06 track car

Post Thanks / Like
    LOL....I'm always building a GTM. Where am I on this build? How about a continuation of the OBDII post? Got the new fuel pump in, figured out what I needed to do to modify the sender float so that it had clearance to move inside the tank, installed the new pump, hooked up all of the fuel lines, filled with gas and attempted first start (after also getting HP Tuners to connect and turned off the steering column lock and modified a bunch of other misc stuff like when the cooling fans...low and hi speed....kick on and off and turned off a bunch of the un-needed DTC codes). Turned the key and heard the pump run.....watched the fuel pressure gauge and a bit of pressure builds. Turn key off and back on and pressure goes up more. Off and back on and finally we reach 60psi on the gauge and it holds. Crank engine and it fires right up....but only on 5 cyls. I run it for about 10 seconds and shut it off. Walk around to the pass side of the car and the floor is soaked with gas. There is a geyser of fuel pouring out of the fuel line that connects to the pump. I look up at the engine and see fuel pouring out of 2 different connections there also. Autopsy reveals that one of the hoses is apparently not meant to handle gas as it's all soft and spongy and feels like Jello. The other line shows where the donor hard plastic line was cut off and the cut went too deep and cut a groove in the plastic hose barb of the donor hose end. Off to the parts store to try to find some replacement ends and fuel injector hose. Made new fuel lines and installed them and then went to work on the reason it's only running on 5 cylinders. This is something I see on almost every car I work on anymore......stuck fuel injectors. Solution? Drag out the car battery and the jumper wires, disconnect the injector, hook up one jumper to one side of the injector and pretend I'm desperately trying to send an urgent message via Morse Code with the pin on the other side of the injector. Normally, it seems like about 10-30 seconds of this will free up the injector. Came to the last injector and after 3 minutes of playing Secret Morse Code operator, still nothing. So....loosen up all of the fuel rail bolts and pull up the driver's side rail far enough to get the non-cooperative injector out for Phase 2. Phase 2 is pretty simple. Take the injector in my hand and gently smack the side of the injector down onto a wood block a couple times. Turn injector over in my hand and repeat for the other side. Check with my jumper wires and it's free!!!! Reinstall injector. Turn key on....pressure builds. key off and back on until I get 60psi. Go around to pass side and check all of the fuel lines. Everything is dry! Start car. Firing on all cylinders now! Yay! Run car up to temp and low speed fans kick on......shortly after, high speed fans kick on....Yay!!....so far so good.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

3. Thanks rolfer thanked for this post
    Likes beeman, RoadRacer, Shoeless, rolfer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Shane, Like I said...I hope they are paying you well. You ARE solving their problems.

Oh, and I am also endlessly building a GTM...over and over again! It's the nature of a race car. I figure the FFR PDG GTM is probably the car that has had the most $$ spent on it of any GTM out there. Probably close to a million dollars by now. You might think I am joking, but just the 25 hour race costs better than $50k to run each year. Then the rest of the season also costs about that much. Over 13 years of racing this GTM could easily have had $1,000,000.00 spent on it. I find many people do not realize just how much racing costs...even at an "amateur" level. The building ($) continues...
    Last edited by crash; 11-08-2022 at 04:22 PM.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

5. Likes beeman, Shoeless, RR46, rolfer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Currently refurbishing mine due to original owner shenanigans. Going thru the wiring complete. Proper connectors, proper routing, proper access, proper sizing, proper identification, etc. Adding aluminum gas tanks, chopping up one tank (more than once to correct welder's mistakes the first time), redoing fuel lines, pump, and filters. Changing battery location. Cleaning up newly discovered surprises left by original "builder." Adding some of Shane's goodies. All with body in place because - no room. My daughter says if I die first, she is pushing it out into the street for finders keepers. She will post here if that's the case. Stay tuned.

7. Likes beeman, RoadRacer, Shoeless, RR46, rolfer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Finishing a GTM.

Like said above, due to original owner shenanigans, a car that was 80% done just needed the other 80% of the work done to it.

Found too many items that would have made the car very dangerous. Things like the proper torque spec for the front lower ball joints isn't "finger tight". The plastic fuel tanks, let the honor system and gravity keep them in place. And, well you get the idea.

9. Likes beeman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've taken delivery of my GTM earlier this February. Got some parts from Shane. Been working on it on and off. Currently getting ready to drop the engine in.

11. Likes beeman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ohmygosuness View Post
    I've taken delivery of my GTM earlier this February. Got some parts from Shane. Been working on it on and off. Currently getting ready to drop the engine in.
    If you get an opportunity, share some pics and plans for your build. We love seeing each others work.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just started helping a friend build one in my garage... 4BF42109-1B19-4223-A61B-5280419666AE.jpegIMG_0521.jpg

Engine is installed, Transmission is in. This weekend did the engine harness wiring (needs to be cleaned up). The braking system, the emergency brake, added all new fluid to the engine, and retorqued all the suspension bolts.
    Last edited by Smackey; 11-13-2022 at 09:33 PM.

14. Likes beeman, Shoeless liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    PXL_20221108_165023553.jpg
    PXL_20220928_014344015.jpg
    I'm about a year in on building #37. Still waiting for the transmission before I get the body set exactly where is needs to be, but it's not killing me as there is plenty of small odds and ends to wrap up. I am worried about the body fitment because of the car sitting for so many years without a buck and that it's also an early production number gen 1. Currently making some carbon fiber parts, laminating some others, and getting ready to mount the roof scoop. Here is one of the C5 mirrors I've laminated before sanding and polishing. I should have a finished looking mirror by the end of the weekend.

16. Likes beeman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is a GTM that auctioned on BaT this week:
    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...ry-five-gtm-4/

This video is of another GTM that may have been crashed and sold to young entrepreneurs:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4qR8lRwm8Gk

The price was right.
    jim

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

PXL_20221123_035600489~2.jpg
    Here is the finished product of mirrors and gauge panel. Far from perfect but I think I did alright for my first time working with carbon fiber.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frankenford View Post
    PXL_20221123_035600489~2.jpg
    Here is the finished product of mirrors and gauge panel. Far from perfect but I think I did alright for my first time working with carbon fiber.
    The dash looks really good. Looks like a bit difficult of a weave to work with on complex curves. Still looks pretty good though and definitely unique.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    I’ve never worked with the normal 2x2 twill weave so I have nothing to compare against but it wasn’t terrible to form. The thickness varies because of the pattern, so to make it smooth a couple added layers of resin has to be used and sanded. I’m guessing that it wouldn’t be useful for anything more than just laminating and esthetics. I was missing the center dash on my kit and luckily Shane had one but with no upholstery. I getting ready to laminate it with this same carbon fiber. Hopefully it wont create a glare when driving it or ill have to try to use a piece of fabric.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just had the opportunity to help out a fellow GTM owner with a track day on a newly restored GTM and another owner just PMed me about the possibility of using 19" rims. I think they actually really look more fitting to the GTM than the 18s. Here is a picture of the car I helped with at the track day on 19s.

IMG_20221125_141825041.jpg
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

22. Thanks rolfer thanked for this post
    Likes rolfer, Edgeman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Currently rebuilding mine.
    About to pull the trigger and buy a new front clip, and getting the Kirkey seats redone.
    Installing door poppers, fixing the passenger window alignment, and reworking the radio area.
    Installing different tail lights, installing Hella LED headlights with built in DRL, and adding a switch panel.
    Building a turbo 416 LSx motor and trying to find a G96 at a reasonable price.

24. Likes beeman, rolfer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mine is actively collecting dust.

gtm-5.jpg
    Last edited by gtpvette; 02-28-2023 at 04:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Does this one count??? LOL

gtm-model.jpg