Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: IRS - Tires rubbing on shock springs

Post Thanks / Like

Question IRS - Tires rubbing on shock springs

Happy Thanksgiving Eve, everyone!

I finished mounting the IRS and Wilwood brake upgrade. I did the rough alignment according to the manual for both the upper control arms and toe arms of 11 1/2'' and 17 3/8'' respectively.

UCA Dimensions
    irs_uca_dimension.JPG

Toe Arm Dimensions
    irs_toe_dimensions.JPG

I then mounted the rear tire to continue to set the rough camber and toe alignment and I'm finding that the springs of from the coil-over shocks are rubbing on the tire.
    view_1.jpg
    view_2.jpg

I checked to see if perhaps I had too much negative camber but the level is coming out right smack in the middle.
    level.jpg

Here are my UCA and toe measurements for sanity check.

UCA measurement
    uca_measure.jpg

Toe arm measurement
    toe_measure.jpg

At this point, I see two options and wanted to check with the gurus: Do I flip the shocks (as it seems body up/spring down would fix the problem) or do I extend the UCA and toe distance by about 1/2''?

Thank you, and hope all your turkeys are defrosted already!
    Last edited by elspanishgeek; 11-23-2022 at 04:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Car has to be on the ground and with all the weight on it. You cant do an alignment with it up in the air, the numbers in the book are just to get you started/in the ballpark. The springs are very close or do rub when up on stands but it will be fine on the ground.

3. Thanks elspanishgeek thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Turn the shocks and springs over; sprung vrs. un-sprung weight. You will find a little extra space; not much

5. Thanks elspanishgeek thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    What size tires? Unlikely an issue, but part of the equation. Many others have reported this concern during the build and it always worked out once on the ground, at ride height, and the alignment dialed in. You can flip the shocks if you want. The red Konis can go either direction. But for the silver Konis (what I have on two IRS builds) they have to go body down (the way you have yours) and clearance while close wasn't a problem.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

7. Thanks elspanishgeek thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My concern is that the springs are really pressed against the tire, and I'm worried about setting it down and damaging the tire in the process.

The tires are the Halibrand 17'' supplied by FFR.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by elspanishgeek View Post
    My concern is that the springs are really pressed against the tire, and I'm worried about setting it down and damaging the tire in the process.

The tires are the Halibrand 17'' supplied by FFR.
    Then adjust the camber to move the top of the tire out when the chassis is lowered and the ride height set. The dimensions in the manual are just a starting place. With that much pressure guaranteed the dimension isn't close enough to matter. This will get sorted with the proper camber and toe adjustments. Whole bunch of builds with your combination of parts.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

10. Thanks elspanishgeek thanked for this post
    Likes elspanishgeek liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It wont damage the tire, but if youre concerned you can set it down slowly to be sure. Mine I cant move or mess with the spring when it is up in the air like that because the tire has it stuck in place, no big deal and its been up and down many times plus a few thousand miles on it. As soon as the tire hits the ground when putting the car down the tire starts moving away from the spring.

12. Thanks elspanishgeek thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for the quick answers, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Then adjust the camber to move the top of the tire out when the chassis is lowered and the ride height set. The dimensions in the manual are just a starting place. With that much pressure guaranteed the dimension isn't close enough to matter. This will get sorted with the proper camber and toe adjustments. Whole bunch of builds with your combination of parts.
    I pushed the UCAs out by 1/8'' and tucked in the toe arms also by 1/8'' (now 11 5/8'' and 17 1/4'' respectively) and cleared it enough. Following all the comments (and the slew of other posts and threads about this), I'll consider this good enough until it's set on the ground with the full weight of the engine and transmission.

Happy thanksgiving!

view_3.jpg

14. Likes Fman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have installed wheel spacers for my clearance, not using the FFR wheels.