FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: AWIC Install Question, Coolant Hard Pipe

Post Thanks / Like

AWIC Install Question, Coolant Hard Pipe

When installing an AWIC, there is a coolant hard pipe in line with the turbo outlet, blocking the cross tube (unclocked). Do you guys cut this pipe down? Doesn't seem like you could bend it enough...

Thank you!
    Last edited by prematureapex; 11-26-2022 at 08:54 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by prematureapex View Post
    When installing an AWIC, there is a coolant hard pipe in line with the turbo outlet, blocking the cross tube (unlocked). Do you guys cut this pipe down? Doesn't seem like you could bend it enough...

Thank you!
    Please attach a picture so we can understand the problem.
    This is my AWIC setup. I clocked the turbo so it's outlet points straight up.
    Bob

awic.jpg
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Bob, mine is unclocked, so the coolant pipe illustrated below resides squarely in the path of the pipe crossing under the core. I imagine people cut it shorter. The only rub is you lose the barb/flare on the end of the pipe, so the hose will be more prone to come off afterwards.

WRX hardpipe.jpeg

Had it out at NJMP a couple weeks ago...can't wait to get rid of the heat soak.

NJMP818.jpg
    Last edited by prematureapex; 11-26-2022 at 09:02 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by prematureapex View Post
    My heater hard tubes are very different (04 FXT 2.5L). They come out on the side of the transmission. heat.jpg
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    @prematureapex what engine are you using?

Here is a picture of the top of my EJ207 you can see I don’t have those heater lines what looks like where your throttle body would be. I have an unclocked turbo and I ran the charge pipe out of the turbo under the TB. It was very tight with all of the AOS lines. You can see my coolant cross over lines to the left and in the very bottom left you can see the “U” hose connecting my heater lines. Like Bob mentioned the exit just left of the trans. So I didn’t have to trim any tubes.
    EB31E6A1-00B7-4449-B8A7-8453F09A0425.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by blomb11 View Post
    @prematureapex what engine are you using?

Here is a picture of the top of my EJ207 you can see I don’t have those heater lines what looks like where your throttle body would be. I have an unclocked turbo and I ran the charge pipe out of the turbo under the TB. It was very tight with all of the AOS lines. You can see my coolant cross over lines to the left and in the very bottom left you can see the “U” hose connecting my heater lines. Like Bob mentioned the exit just left of the trans. So I didn’t have to trim any tubes.
    EB31E6A1-00B7-4449-B8A7-8453F09A0425.jpg
    Very nice.

It's an EJ205 out of an 02 or an 03 with a VF34. It's in now after cutting the hardline. I'll let you know if the hose holds on without the barb...lol.

Are you guys doing anything like a throttle switch to control the pump, or just running it full on or full off with something on the dash? I used a throttle switch to control an MBC back in the day, thinking something like that would be a good idea for pump longevity, etc.

AWIC.jpg
    Last edited by prematureapex; 11-28-2022 at 08:06 AM.

7. Likes blomb11 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have the pump wired "on" upon key ACC so it is on 100% all the time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by blomb11 View Post
    I have the pump wired "on" upon key ACC so it is on 100% all the time.
    I did the same, but added a dash switch so I can turn off if desired.

Post Thanks / Like
    My R has a dash switch for the pump with an indicator light. Also, one of the radiator fans has a switch. That way, in the pit, I can circulate AWIC water with the fan on to help with heat soak after a session. I can also run the second radiator fan in pit lane while we are staging, to keep the AWIC cool.

Post Thanks / Like
    I run my AWIC Pump off the fuel pump relay.