FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: oil filter relocation

Post Thanks / Like

oil filter relocation

Hello everyone,
    I'm using shorty headers on my Ford Racing 302 (by Forte) and need to relocate my oil filter. I know there's been lots of chatter on this before, but I wanted to get the most up to date opinions.
    I've read comments on two approaches, a 90 degree adapter and a kit that relocates the filter. The 90 seems attractive, but I'm not sure it will fit my location as I seem to have something in the way (see picture). If I choose the relocation adapter, I'm looking for suggestions as to where to relocate it to. I'd prefer not to do it on the x pipe for cosmetic reasons, but would love to see some pictures of other options.
    THanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Picked up kit 9/6/22. Complete Roadster Kit, IRS, 18" wheels, Forte 302, T5. First build. No auto mechanical experience and beyond excited to learn. Loaded with "Empty Nester" time and energy. Link to my build videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgX...uCWGcelzGecm1Q

Post Thanks / Like
    That "something in the way" is the oil pressure sender extension tube. The 90 degree adapter will clear. It swivels and will allow you to orient the filter vertically, horizontally or in between. Most times with shorty headers it gets locked down so that the filter is pointing at about 7 o'clock.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I used the relocation kit that came with the kit and have regrets. It leaks because I cannot get it tight enough. If I get it tight enough to not leak the hoses do not line up in a way that makes it usable. I have ordered the Ford Performance 90 Degree adaptor and will install it this week. The only issue is I need to relocate my oil temp sender. This will go in my oil pan now. I should have done all this during the build.

Don't be me, use the adaptor the first time.
    MK4 #10008 - Ordered 10/06/20, Delivered 03/03/21, First Start 7/22/21, First Go Kart 7/24/21
    Paint by Metal Morphous 5/14/22, Legally registered 6/8/22, Graduated 7/20/22
    Build Thread https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...been-delivered
    Complete Kit, Ford 306, Sniper/Dual Sync, T5, Hydraulic clutch

Post Thanks / Like
    Good to know I'm making the right choice on not using the relocation kit-- yes it's nicer when you can get it right the first time. Believe me, I've gotten it wrong on the first, second and third time on this build so far.
    Picked up kit 9/6/22. Complete Roadster Kit, IRS, 18" wheels, Forte 302, T5. First build. No auto mechanical experience and beyond excited to learn. Loaded with "Empty Nester" time and energy. Link to my build videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgX...uCWGcelzGecm1Q

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are some pictures of the 90 degree adapter on my Boss 302 from Forte's.IMG_9463.jpgIMG_9462.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks! That looks great and solves my problem

7. Thanks MB750 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AA-ron View Post
    Thanks! That looks great and solves my problem
    Thanks for bringing this topic up. I'm gonna order that adapter now as well. It already matches my block too!