Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Emergency Door Opener IDEAS for shaved door handles

Post Thanks / Like

Emergency Door Opener IDEAS for shaved door handles

Hello, so I have door poppers on both doors and trunk and I have power windows. I also have a interior door handle to open door from inside the car. In case of an emergency that the battery dies or remote wont work, what are you guys doing to get into your cars in this situation? I did some research and came up with 2 things, one is installing a cable from inside the door to somewhere outside the car so I can just pull a cable and door opens, or two install hidden battery post and connect straight to the door popper to pop it open. The post will have to be under car or something. Any ideas? thank you

Post Thanks / Like
    On my 2008 C6 Corvette Chevy ran cables to the trunk area to pull/open the doors in the event of dead battery or other failure, you could do the same on your 33 HR. At least I assume you're trunk lid will be a mechanical latch verses electrical.

Jim
    33 Hot Rod w/ 302 & Tremec T5; paint color is 68 Ford Mustang GT LimeGold
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...s-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I run a wire directly from the popper to one of the bolts holding the outside mirror on. Assuming its on the door. Then if the battery fails just use jumper cables to the mirror and any metal on the car to pop the door. Do this on both sides in case one of the poppers fails. Cheap and easy and only you will know its there.
    Mike

4. Likes narly1, TxMike64, MSumners liked this post
    PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I install a hidden remote momentary push button switch for the drivers door. I can always jump the battery from the alt if needed. It has worked for me on 5 builds. Mike's idea is a great one IMO!
    16+ FFR kits and counting!

Post Thanks / Like
    I've seen the mechanical trip wire to the rear fender well done a few times but I love Mike's idea.

Steve
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

Post Thanks / Like
    Michael Everson, I have Billet Specialties swan mirrors, do you think it would arc and mess up the chrome on the mirror? Love the idea. Thank you

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you guys for the replies

Post Thanks / Like
    Connect to the mirror first then power.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    What door popper kits have you guys used? And are happy with? I see Dakota Digital makes one and since I run their gauges and gps in my Camaro, I'm more apt to trust them than an e-bay or Amazon kit. What's y'all's opinions? https://www.summitracing.com/parts/d...gaAhADEALw_wcB

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Just 1 More View Post
    What door popper kits have you guys used? And are happy with? I see Dakota Digital makes one and since I run their gauges and gps in my Camaro, I'm more apt to trust them than an e-bay or Amazon kit. What's y'all's opinions? https://www.summitracing.com/parts/d...gaAhADEALw_wcB
    I have had great luck with Spal units from Speedway.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/SPAL-...Kit,42474.html
    16+ FFR kits and counting!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have used the AutoLoc solenoids for door poppers now on three cars and they work. I am just starting to install them in my Hot Rod. For the emergency exit, I am just leaving stock little pins at the front of the door. I am also taking the exterior door handles off. I was worried about what would happen in a accident, so I attended the local Fire Department picnic. I asked multiple people about this and they all sort of laughed and said getting into a door is no issue. The idea is that most modern cars will automatically lock the doors and when there is an accident, they are not unlocked. So they train to get into a door as fast as possible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brastic View Post
    I have used the AutoLoc solenoids for door poppers now on three cars and they work. I am just starting to install them in my Hot Rod. For the emergency exit, I am just leaving stock little pins at the front of the door. I am also taking the exterior door handles off. I was worried about what would happen in a accident, so I attended the local Fire Department picnic. I asked multiple people about this and they all sort of laughed and said getting into a door is no issue. The idea is that most modern cars will automatically lock the doors and when there is an accident, they are not unlocked. So they train to get into a door as fast as possible.
    You may not like the way they get the door open though.
    33 Hot Rod Stage 1, Gen.2 ordered 11/11/2021 started June 12, 2022, LS3 E-Rod crate engine, Tremec TKX, 8.8 WITH 3.55 Ratio and limited slip with 31 spline axles.17X8 and18x10 Race Star wheels wrapped in Conti Extreme contact DWS tires, Mustang Cobra brakes all around. Electric PS and AC. Hard top, electric windows and bike fenders. First Start 5/31/2023. Go-Kart 6/2/2023.