Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  5

Thread: Coil issue - need help

Post Thanks / Like

Coil issue - need help

Looking for help on my coil wiring. I haven't started my engine yet, but I am anticipating a problem as the coil loses power after I turn the key to start. Not only does it lose power, it doesn't come back after I stop the starter. I have to go to the "off" position to get power back to the coil. I am using the supplied harness from FFR (Ron Francis). I tested the switch alone, IGN stays hot while turning the switch to start. So, switch is good. I do have a relay for the IGN but it is wired perfectly and I am using 1965 Ford Mustang switch. My guess, it's the relay, but any insight is welcomed. Hoping to have my first start this weekend.

Thanks in advance.

Ted
    #10333 Complete Kit, Carbed 427w, TKX, IRS and many other upgrades

• Order Date: September 11, 2021 - 20th Anniversary of 9/11
    • Delivery Day: April 1, 2022 - April Fool's Day
    • First Start and Go-Kart: January 20th, 2023
    • Graduation Date: July 4th, 2023 - Independence Day!!
    • Legal Registration Date: October 4, 2023 - My Birthday!!

Visit my MKIV Build Thread (#10333)

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like it might be the relay but I would check the relay connections and crimps on the spade wires. A bad relay ground is also possible. Seems like something isn't carrying the load but there really shouldn't be much load. Try without the relay by jumping across power in and power out terminals.
    33 Hot Rod Stage 1, Gen.2 ordered 11/11/2021 started June 12, 2022, LS3 E-Rod crate engine, Tremec TKX, 8.8 WITH 3.55 Ratio and limited slip with 31 spline axles.17X8 and18x10 Race Star wheels wrapped in Conti Extreme contact DWS tires, Mustang Cobra brakes all around. Electric PS and AC. Hard top, electric windows and bike fenders. First Start 5/31/2023. Go-Kart 6/2/2023.

3. Likes Ted G liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why do you have a relay on the ignition ?
    Mrk III, 331 stroker, Borla stack injection, T5, 3:55 IRS, Power steering and brakes. Kleiner body & paint

5. Likes Ted G liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    What ignition controller are you using?
    ----------------------------------------------

Jeff
    Roadster delivered 8/27/23
    Chevrolet Performance LS3
    Build Thread

7. Likes Ted G liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mastertech 5: I don't think it is the relay, i jumped the relay and still a loss of voltage.

Rich grsc: I am running a relay because I am using the 1965 Mustang switch instead of the FFR switch. The thought was the wires/terminals on this switch may not handle the loads of the IGN and ACC.

BRRT: I am running Pertonics Igniter II and Pertonics coil.

Side note, I am using an ac to dc devise that has no cranking power but provides 12v. I think maybe when I do try to crank, it is taking all the voltage and tripping the relay back to off. I am thinking I need a jumper from start over to the positive side of coil.
    #10333 Complete Kit, Carbed 427w, TKX, IRS and many other upgrades

• Order Date: September 11, 2021 - 20th Anniversary of 9/11
    • Delivery Day: April 1, 2022 - April Fool's Day
    • First Start and Go-Kart: January 20th, 2023
    • Graduation Date: July 4th, 2023 - Independence Day!!
    • Legal Registration Date: October 4, 2023 - My Birthday!!

Visit my MKIV Build Thread (#10333)

Post Thanks / Like
    "Side note, I am using an ac to dc devise that has no cranking power but provides 12v. I think maybe when I do try to crank, it is taking all the voltage and tripping the relay back to off. I am thinking I need a jumper from start over to the positive side of coil. "

I would bet this is it. The starter motor draws a lot of power. When you twist the key to the start position your 12VDC power supply overloads and the voltage drops way down or completely off.
    Most DC power supplies have a protective circuit, called a "crowbar" circuit, that shuts off output when the current draw gets too high. It's likely shutting off, and that is why you aren't seeing the voltage come back when you turn the key away from the start position.

Measure the voltage at the output of the power supply and see what is going on there when you turn the key to start.
    ----------------------------------------------

Jeff
    Roadster delivered 8/27/23
    Chevrolet Performance LS3
    Build Thread

10. Thanks Ted G thanked for this post
    Likes Ted G liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've never heard of needing a relay on the ignition. I use the early Mustang switch, it is easily capable of the task, better than the FFR one.
    Mrk III, 331 stroker, Borla stack injection, T5, 3:55 IRS, Power steering and brakes. Kleiner body & paint

12. Likes Railroad liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    When I tried first start, my engine would turn over but not start. Quickly found out that the coil did not have any power. I ran a 12v wire from the ACC on the ignition to the plus side of the coil and it started right up. SBF with Sniper EFI.
    Scott Pregont
    Present build: 65 Daytona Coupe #393 - Forte 427 EFI crate w/TKX 2.87/ .81 - Ordered 11/16/21 - Delivered 6/23/2022
    Build Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...na-Coupe-build
    My Albums
    Special Tools, Custom Parts, misc supplies: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2045
    Garage Pics: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2041
    POR15 First Try: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2068
    Silicone application tips: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2063