FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Pro-shock failure

Post Thanks / Like

Pro-shock failure

I purchased a Mark II from a fellow that pretty much finished the build but never titled it and put it on the street. It is my second FFR Mark II (first one was totaled but that is another story). I went through the entire car fixing some minor issues and putting my own touches on it. It is now titled and registered.

I took it out this weekend and on a straight smooth road, the front passenger shock gives out dropping the frame to the street. If you want to see what that is like, here is my dash cam video: https://youtu.be/GAj4dboFIQY

Turns out the heim joint unscrewed from the end of the Pro-shock shaft. The spring hat fell off and the spring dropped. The frame skidded along the road and the tire rubbed the upper fiberglass fender. I found the spring and the spring hat with the clip (looks like a big safety pin) and the street.

There was no lock washer on the shock shaft. I can not say there was ever one there. But I can say there is a lock nut on the shock on the driver's side. However, it was not tight.

I did not install these shocks and have not been able to find any installation instructions in the paperwork he gave me (or the Pro-shock website).

I was wondering if any of you can tell me the proper way to install these shocks. Maybe some of you have a picture.

I am wondering if:
    The shocks were installed upside down?
    There should be a lock nut there, correct?
    Is the purpose of that safety pin clip to some how keep a lock nut from turning?
    How is that clip supposed to be installed? Looking at the clip on the driver's side, the lock nut can still turn with the clip in place.
    Here are two ways to use that clip.

IMG_3046.jpgIMG_3048.jpg
    2003-2021 FFR MK2, 302 with Holley Sniper built from a donor, totaled in 2021
    2022 FFR MK2 from another builder (but never completed) Engine Factory 302, IRS, Tremec TR3550 5 Speed
    2023 back on the road with the Austin Cobra club

East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I ran my Pro-shocks upside down for years - yes there is supposed be a lock nut on there and I typically put some red lock tight on the threads. The clip is on there to keep the hat in place and is not a locking mechanism for the nut. I would remove all the shocks and give them a good inspection to make sure the ends are tight and the lock nuts are tight against the rod ends. The pic on the left without/missing jam nut is the correct method to install the clip.

Glad you're ok and that could have been a lot worse!

I would say that this might be a good time to up grade to some koni's - those pro shocks were not awesome in my opinion after now having Koni Reds on every car since.
    FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad you’re ok. You seemed to handle the situation very calmly. I can never show this video to my wife. She’ll never want to ride in my homemade car!

Post Thanks / Like
    When installing the rod end I make sure that both the lock nut and rod end will spin on the threads very easily by hand. Spin the nut all the way on. Now spin the rodend all the way on. Now grab the nut w/ a wrench and turn the rod end to tighten it against the nut. You could use some blue loctite if you want but I never do. I want to be able to take it apart if I need to and since you can grap the shaft only w/ a vice grip and something to protect the shaft, I don't want to risk that the loctite will make it unremovable.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks all for your replies.

My conclusion is the passenger shock was installed without a lock nut, and the driver side shock is not locked with the locknut. Nothing wrong with the shocks, it was just an installation oversight.

Regardless, I ordered Koni shocks and will offer up the Pro-shocks in the for anyone looking for a set.

BTW, CraigS.... are you involved with Virginia Tech, I graduated from VaTech in '77
    2022 FFR MK2 from another builder (but never completed) Engine Factory 302, IRS, Tremec TR3550 5 Speed

Post Thanks / Like
    Did it do any damage inside your fender when the tire hit it? When I assembled the Koni shocks that came with my car, I was amazed at the tiny thin snap ring that supports threaded sleeve that also supports all the weight. I haven't heard of any failures of this ring, but man is it thin.
    FFR 9883 MKIV ,427 Windsor engine
    TKX 5 speed, Three Link 3.55 gears
    Power Steering, Leather Seats
    18" Wheels and Tires, Drop Trunk
    Fun Package

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice job keeping your cool under pressure.
    MKIV complete kit w/powder coating and cut outs, serial #9189 delivered 10/10/17, first start - 10/5/18, legal - 10/08/20. Blueprint 306 w/Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 600, power steering, Breeze fan shroud, trunk cubby, & engine compartment battery kit, CNC brake reservoirs, RT turn signal & gas pedal, mechanical throttle linkage, METCO safety loop, GASN side pipes, drop trunk, dual chrome roll bars, vintage gauges, glove box, custom center console, cup holders, and speakers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bassemir View Post
    Thanks all for your replies.

My conclusion is the passenger shock was installed without a lock nut, and the driver side shock is not locked with the locknut. Nothing wrong with the shocks, it was just an installation oversight.

Regardless, I ordered Koni shocks and will offer up the Pro-shocks in the for anyone looking for a set.

BTW, CraigS.... are you involved with Virginia Tech, I graduated from VaTech in '77
    No I am not. Daughter went there and never came back home which was Md at the time. My wife did work there though in the HR dept for 2 years. We knew we would eventually move here and my wife found the VT job. Nice thing was she talked them into a signing bonus which almost covered our moving expences. Our SIL is a K9 officer on the VT Police force.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a thin layer of rubber left on the inner fender well. I was blessed no damage to the fiberglass. I was only doing about 40 when it happed and got off the road quickly. Whew.