FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6

Thread: Off-Topic...Truck Bed Tie Downs

Post Thanks / Like

Off-Topic...Truck Bed Tie Downs

Hopefully this is ok to post here and get some opinions? Seems that most people like us who build cars are people who "do stuff" and haul stuff.....so with that in mind...

I bought a 2018 F150 new 5 years ago. As some of you may know, Ford has what they call a "BoxLink" system build into the truck bed.....essentially 4 points in the side of the bed to bolt an assortment of brackets and such for platforms, truck bed dividers, tie down anchors, etc. From what I can gather, I think all of their trucks from 2015 on up use this same bolt pattern to accept the same brackets? Anyway, after owning the truck for 5 years and hauling stuff and constantly wishing I had more places to attach my ratchet straps to strap stuff down, I finally took the time to look into this and see what was available. What I found is that there are a ton of different companies offering a ton of different options for this.....most of them seem exceedingly over-complicated with a bracket that bolts to the bed and then separate "accessories" that snap into that bracket in order to use them for anything. Almost all of them seem very over-priced, over-complicated, bulky, ugly and they stick out into the bed where they're going to constantly be in the way and get snagged on stuff as you try to load and unload stuff.

All I wanted was a place to hook my ratchet strap hooks to. I'm not going to install a platform or bed divider or need some specialized accessory in order to use some other specialized accessory to use with it. All I need are places to hook a ratchet strap that don't stick out and constantly get in my way. This is what I came up with.....

20230120_141010.jpg

20230120_141110.jpg

20230120_141119.jpg

So......do any of you think there might be a market for something like this? Am I the only one who prefers simplicity over complicated?
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Great idea but it looks like aluminum. It also looks like it has deformed just by tightening the strap. If there was an accident the force might just rip that center section out. I think the design is great but I would do it out of steel. Also is there reinforcement behind the bolts? Don't want them to rip thru sheet metal.
    Scott Pregont
    Present build: 65 Daytona Coupe #393 - Forte 427 EFI crate w/TKX 2.87/ .81 - Ordered 11/16/21 - Delivered 6/23/2022
    Build Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...na-Coupe-build
    My Albums
    Special Tools, Custom Parts, misc supplies: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2045
    Garage Pics: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2041
    POR15 First Try: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2068
    Silicone application tips: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2063

3. Likes VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like the simple design, but would agree that steel would make them better.

On a side note, my new GMC has 14 simple tie down hooks in the bed.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

5. Likes VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Namrups View Post
    Great idea but it looks like aluminum. It also looks like it has deformed just by tightening the strap. If there was an accident the force might just rip that center section out. I think the design is great but I would do it out of steel. Also is there reinforcement behind the bolts? Don't want them to rip thru sheet metal.
    Good points. The aluminum is 1/8" thick and that center section is 1/2" wide. Honestly, I'd worry about the tension from the strap collapsing the box side before I'd worry about the aluminum breaking. Maybe we have an engineer here who could do a strength analysis on that center section?......1/8" 5052 aluminum, 1/2" width, 1.3" length (including the radiused part) with 0.2" radius at each end?

Yes, the center strip is deformed on purpose before installation to give more clearance for the hook to get in there....formed the thickness of the material.....so at the center of the strip, the back of the strip is flush with the front of the plate. The box side has an indentation in that location (clearance for the strap hook to get in there) behind the openings and the hole pattern is reinforced with inserts meant to attach these tie downs to. The entire bed/truck is made from aluminum.

Why make these from aluminum? Again.....simplicity. No need to paint or coat them. No chance of them ever rusting out.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a poor photo of the "BoxLink" mounting area of the bed. As you can see, there is an indentation there already in the box side as well as the reinforced 4-bolt pattern.

images.jpg

And here is a slightly better view of how the center strip is formed for extra hook clearance and make the geometry better for if the ratchet strap is going to be routed toward the front or rear of the bed as opposed to going across the bed or routing up overtop of whatever you're tying down.

20230123_100712.jpg
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    Since any etrack tiedown anchor will fit the factory mount just fine and is free, I would not buy. If needing the factory mounts, they are dirt cheap at the salvage yard.

Something else to consider is that the factory mount allows use of any etrack accessory, so one has many options other than just a tie down strap.
    boxlink.jpg
    Last edited by mikeinatlanta; 01-23-2023 at 03:01 PM.
    MKII "Little Boy". 432CI all aluminum Windsor. .699 solid roller, DA Koni shocks, aluminum IRS, Straight cut dog ring T-5, 13" four piston Brembos, Bogart wheels. BOOM!

9. Likes VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    There might be a market. But you would need to get under the price of a box link kit. Four tie downs and anchor plates only cost $37.00 on amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Boxlink-Compa...720681773&th=1

Post Thanks / Like
    No etrack or BoxLink mounts come with the truck......there is no etrack anchor there unless you buy and install one. I've never been a huge fan of the etrack stuff.....and now you have to carry both etrack anchors and ratchet straps and dig them all out every time you need them. The only people I've ever watched using the etrack stuff usually have a whole bag full of them and they sort thru the bag trying to find one that's not bent or broken and still works.....and then try to find an etrack slot that's not bent or damaged to install it in. Keeping ratchet straps in working order is enough for me.....not looking to add 4 more components to store and hope they work when I need them. Simplicity is key for me.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rthomas98 View Post
    There might be a market. But you would need to get under the price of a box link kit. Four tie downs and anchor plates only cost $37.00 on amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Boxlink-Compa...720681773&th=1
    Well that's certainly cheaper than what I was looking at. All of the Boxlink stuff I was finding was more like $32/corner or $36/pair for a few other options. No matter the price, I'm still not a fan of those and would never buy them. My son just bought a truck with something similar to those installed in the bed.......for me, they would be constantly in the way of what I'm trying to haul.....not to mention a huge eye-sore to look at.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC View Post
    No etrack or BoxLink mounts come with the truck......there is no etrack anchor there unless you buy and install one. I've never been a huge fan of the etrack stuff.....and now you have to carry both etrack anchors and ratchet straps and dig them all out every time you need them. The only people I've ever watched using the etrack stuff usually have a whole bag full of them and they sort thru the bag trying to find one that's not bent or broken and still works.....and then try to find an etrack slot that's not bent or damaged to install it in. Keeping ratchet straps in working order is enough for me.....not looking to add 4 more components to store and hope they work when I need them. Simplicity is key for me.
    My 2018 SCAB came with them. Tossed the boxlink anchors in the trash. Using etrack allows a few things that just a tie down plate wont. Can use any of my many etrack straps, soft anchors, loop anchors, and also 2X4 mounts to haul full plywood sheets with stuff still in the bed. Not sure why anyone would be concerned with new pricing though as they are in salvage yards by the thousands. The OE screws are a very high quality thread forming screw. I'd go to the salvage yard just for those as they are purpose built for thread forming in the aluminum. Mush better and stronger than a thread cutting screw.

BTW, cut one of the OE anchors in half. They look like plastic but have steel inside. Still tossed them though.
    MKII "Little Boy". 432CI all aluminum Windsor. .699 solid roller, DA Koni shocks, aluminum IRS, Straight cut dog ring T-5, 13" four piston Brembos, Bogart wheels. BOOM!

14. Likes VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Namrups View Post
    My Tundra has 10mm steel "U" loops attached in the four corners to post structure. They have served the purpose; your concept would not survive my abuse. Moreover they appear to be attached with self-tapping screws. The Tundra loops are fastened to weld-nuts. Consider the structure that is in your ratchet strap hooks. Are your mounts equivalent or stronger?
    jim

16. Likes VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I love E-Track and have it in my trailers. That said, the weight ratings on them are relatively low. I only use them for locating heavy objects, not really to hold them strong during a potential impact. In other words I use the E Track straps to hold things in position and keep from shifting while driving, but always consider how the items are packed up against the front of the trailer in order to deal with potential impacts.

I think Shane has his answers...make them out of steel, make them cheap, and you will sell these.

If it were me, I would probably cut a plate out of steel just like you have aluminum there, at least 3/8" thick, then weld a solid round bar behind the bridge for added strength. Basically make sure the truck fails before your part and you should stay out of trouble.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

18. Likes VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC liked this post