Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Turbo charger piping

Post Thanks / Like

Turbo charger piping

I have a JDM 2.5 I am using for my build. I wondering how to plumb/run the coolant lines from the radiator to the coolant reservoir?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hronald395 View Post
    I have a JDM 2.5 I am using for my build. I wondering how to plumb/run the coolant lines from the radiator to the coolant reservoir?
    Are you talking about AWIC heat exchanger? I bent some 1" aluminum tubing and ran it next to the radiator pipes along each side of the car. I had to enlarge the hole in the sheetmetal at the forward firewall and slightly modify the dead pedal sheetmetal to cover.

Ed

Post Thanks / Like

No the coolant reservoir

Quote Originally Posted by Bicyclops View Post
    Are you talking about AWIC heat exchanger? I bent some 1" aluminum tubing and ran it next to the radiator pipes along each side of the car. I had to enlarge the hole in the sheetmetal at the forward firewall and slightly modify the dead pedal sheetmetal to cover.

Ed
    No, the coolant reservoir to the turbo. Thanks for responding.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's a rubber hose coming from the back bottom of the expansion tank. It goes onto a pipe rising near vertical then angling forward and to the right across the top of the turbo. The overflow of the tank goes to a cross pipe over the top of the block and back to the water pump inlet. The smaller overflow from the pressure cap drains to the recovery tank.

Ed

5. Thanks hronald395 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    See pics. First pic: hard line comes from turbo to black line. Second pic: continuation of black line (I'm pointing to it) to red line to overflow tank. Ignore the red-to-black thing, it's a single line. I just have a junction/change of lines because I didn't have enough cool red stuff to go all the way and didn't feel like ponying up for more just yet.

PXL_20230209_013611252.jpg PXL_20230209_013626182.jpg
    818C chassis #546. Ordered 8/14/18, picked up 10/6/18. First start 01/16/2021!
    Donor: 2006 WRX wagon, 108k miles.
    Options: Chassis powder coat, CF street splitter, rockers, diffuser, and spoiler, polished shift knob, adjustable rear lower lateral control arms, vinyl padded dash/door, complete carpet set, battery cut-off switch, wiper kit, aluminum shifter assembly, complete CV axles, harness bar mount, matte gunmetal wheels.

7. Thanks hronald395 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a diagram of coolant routing from the forum that I have added some notes to. I ran the pipe from the radiator to T into the #1 line and have had no problems thus far.

My mechanic (AndrewTech) insisted that I keep the stock placement of the caps, so I have followed their advice rather than swapping them as suggested here.

818 coolant diagram.jpg

10. Thanks hronald395 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Dave View Post
    Here is a diagram of coolant routing from the forum that I have added some notes to. I ran the pipe from the radiator to T into the #1 line and have had no problems thus far.

My mechanic (AndrewTech) insisted that I keep the stock placement of the caps, so I have followed their advice rather than swapping them as suggested here.

818 coolant diagram.jpg
    Hey Dave,
    Mine is the same as your sketch. Works great and is self bleeding.
    I used 5/16 hose from the top of the radiator to the degas tank. That hos is "t" together with the "Wayne's mod hose before going into the degas tank. I also added a 1/8" pill in the "wayne's mod" hose. This picture is of a mid-engine Pantera cooling system which is very similar except i did not use a swirl tank.

pantera.jpg
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

12. Thanks hronald395 thanked for this post