FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  30

Thread: Security while parked in public area

Post Thanks / Like

Security while parked in public area

What provision is available to lock up the 33 hot rod when parking in a public area, eg when going out to dinner with my wife? It will likely be either parked on the street or in a public parking lot for a couple of hours during this time. It looks like the windows need to be rolled down to open the doors and then the doors closed and door glass needs to be rolled up tight (remotely)and doors locked (again remotely or by key on door). Has anyone dealt with this issue yet? Has FFR done anything yet?

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Here is what I've got on The Redbone Roadster which has no top nor windows:

1. Standard Keyed Ignition Switch
    2. Removable Steering Wheel
    3. Hidden Keyed Battery Switch
    4. Hidden Secondary Keyed Starter Kill Switch.

Yes, I look stupid walking into a restaurant with my steering wheel but I don't care.

The Redbone Roadster:
    https://youtu.be/9WEe6-wdNtA

Good Luck From The Darkside!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 01-30-2023 at 09:33 PM.

3. Likes Fman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I keep my insurance paid and most times I remember to take the keys out. Usually.

Jeff

5. Thanks GoDadGo thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    I keep my insurance paid and most times I remember to take the keys out. Usually.

Jeff
    I forgot this most important safety feature.
    I've got that too.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you have a manual trans 99% of people won't be able to drive it
    Build #9818 completed 04/2021 - Dart SBF 427, PF4 EFI, TKO600 Build thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...utton-head-mod
    Build review video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6IAbo2sFt4&t=1111s My finished car: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/atta...7&d=1638415131

8. Thanks GoDadGo thanked for this post
    Likes GoDadGo, RoadRacer, Joel Hauser liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fman View Post
    If you have a manual trans 99% of people won't be able to drive it
    CBS News (2016 A.D.) Stated 18%
    https://www.cbsnews.com/minnesota/ne...-drive-manual/

I bet if this were broken down by decade age groups the percentage would decline the younger you go.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll just say this - I never worry about it. I have no windows, no locks, and a push-button start. No key. I leave my car wherever, whenever, for hours at a time. Even in public parking garages with "thief signs" all over. Done this for 2 years. You could say I'm lucky, but I don't think that's it. I think our cars are not common targets, to steal or steal from. They'll grab that honda..

Before my 33, I had a GT40 replica. No locks, no keys. I drove that 60,000 miles over a few years as my daily driver. Never had a worry, and nothing ever happened.

Having said all that, I do have a hidden apple AirTag hidden deep inside the car - so worst case I can find them
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

11. Likes theidlemind liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lot's of travelling, hotel parking lots, restaurants, etc. never had a problem although there were potential issues.

A 45 does alleviate some of the concern though.

Jim
    2016 Mk4 Challenge Car, IRS, 3.31 Torsen, RDI Aluminum 427w, AFR 225s, Vic Jr. ProSystems 780 HP, TKO-600 w/Liberty mods. Forward cage. Levy 6/4 piston Wilwoods. Not completed yet, will be a streetable track car.
    2004 Superformance MkIII #1855, 2007 Superformance MkIII #2584 purchased in 2012 both sold.

13. Likes RoadRacer, cc2Arider liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The doors can be open/closed with the windows up.
    I don’t have external door handles, the 2 way alarm system fob operates the door poppers to open the doors.
    Just make sure you have another method of powering the poppers if your remote or the car battery dies.
    '33 Hotrod, #1047 Gen 1, delivered on 2/27/18, go cart on 9/24/18.
    LS3 w/Gearstar Level 3 4L65e Tranny, Yank converter, Lokar shifter, Electric PS, Vintage AC/Heat/Def, 8.8" 3.55
    TorqThrust II Wheels w/Toyo Proxy T1 Sport Tires, F 235/45ZR17 R 295/35ZR18
    Garage Built, Driveway Painted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Park mine at shows only (when I go) or if I'm out cruising and we stop somewhere I make sure I'm close by (ice cream shops, restaurants, etc.). other than that I just don't leave it parked unattended.

Jim
    33 Hot Rod w/ 302 & Tremec T5; paint color is 68 Ford Mustang GT LimeGold
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...s-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Empty holster on the dash.
    MKII "Little Boy". 432CI all aluminum Windsor. .699 solid roller, DA Koni shocks, aluminum IRS, Straight cut dog ring T-5, 13" four piston Brembos, Bogart wheels. BOOM!

Post Thanks / Like
    Putting a hidden kill switch to the fuel pump is easy, they can crank the car all day but will not start. I also used a 3 way switch so instead of powering the fuel pump it powers a piezo alarm if they energize the ignition.
    I also wrapped the wiring behind the keyed switch with multiple layers of tessa tape which will make it a pain in the *** to get to.
    Putting in a battery kill switch is good but discovered you cannot depower the stereo without problems and i also heard its not a good idea to depower the computer to the engine a lot, i have a coyote, so the battery kill switch in the trunk next to the battery is only for emergencys.
    Ive also thought about adding a apple tag or android has similar but its only good if someone on the service walks by car within 60 ft or so, might still be better than nothing but curious how effective it is?
    I looked up the #1 security device for cars and the good ol' "club" is still rated the best, lol. it locks steering wheel to brake pedal and is inexpensive.
    My concern is not the local idiot trying to steal car but a pro who would probably just pull up with a flat bed and drag your car onto it and leave, takes about 5 minutes.
    I agree with Roadracer, they want the Honda, not a hotrod.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you all for the helpful info.....

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm with Jeff on this one!

I laughed pretty hard when he said that most of the time he remembers to take the key out. There have been a few times I came out from a restaurant or store to find I left the key in the ignition...

My thought is that these cars are hard to hide. They garner so much attention that stealing it is risky business. Everybody, even non car aficionados, will remember seeing the car and where they saw it.
    Mk4 Roadster with BluePrint 347 with Holley EFI and solid axle rear end.
    Build thread
    Body work and paint thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dan's33 View Post
    Ive also thought about adding a apple tag or android has similar but its only good if someone on the service walks by car within 60 ft or so, might still be better than nothing but curious how effective it is?
    Yes, it's interesting, because AirTags work for you and against you in a car. It's not foolproof by any means.

Apple added "anti-tracking" behavior to the tags to stop stalkers or car thieves tagging you or your high value car without your knowledge, and then following you home. So, if you have an iPhone and someone tags you, your iPhone will tell you "AirTag Found Moving With You" - so the thief will get warned that you're tracking him, and I think can even disable it. Not sure if they can disable it if it's in lost mode.

You could argue that knowing they're being tracked might spook a thief too ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

A proper car GPS tracker is far better - if I cared I'd look at lojack for example.
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't even lock my vehicles, and drive nice stuff. That being said, I plan to put in the "digital guard dog" push button start. Anyone use the gps feature they have? I agree with others that it's likely not a target.

22. Likes theidlemind liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lots of great ideas here! I think my favorite is the empty holster on the dash... To Dan's33 point - I wired my main disconnect so everything is disabled except the HAAT connection to the coyote pcm. So far, so good!
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gablerent View Post
    What provision is available to lock up the 33 hot rod when parking in a public area, eg when going out to dinner with my wife? It will likely be either parked on the street or in a public parking lot for a couple of hours during this time. It looks like the windows need to be rolled down to open the doors and then the doors closed and door glass needs to be rolled up tight (remotely)and doors locked (again remotely or by key on door). Has anyone dealt with this issue yet? Has FFR done anything yet?
    I usually don't drive my expensive hot rod where I can't keep an eye on it, but when I do, I'm glad I've got a good security system in place:

Thanks

Ron
    "May you be in heaven a full half hour before the Devil knows you're dead"

25. Likes MPTech, JimLev, Mastertech5, J R Jones, beeman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I have a out of sight circuit breaker mounted that interrupts the coil power.
    Last edited by Dieter123; 01-31-2023 at 04:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    When I built my MK4, I inserted a switch into the clutch safety switch circuit. The small toggle switch was well hidden such that a person not knowing where it was would have a hard time locating it.
    For overnight runs, I had a car cover with a cable lock to cover the vehicle overnight. Like the Apple AirTag, I had a TrackR in the car, at least until TrackR stopped piggy backing off any BlueTooth enabled cell phone that came by.
    MK4 base kit, 2004 Mach 1 donor, 4.6L DOHC, TR-3650 5-speed, narrowed stock axle with 3.55 gears and TruTrac, PS, PB, ABS, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, started 12/2011, registered 9/2014, sold 3/1/2018.
    1970 Mustang Fastback Coyote powered Boss 302 tribute. Started 10/14/16.
    Gen 3 Coupe Base Kit non-donor build. Ordered 4/5/2024 to be received August 2024.

Post Thanks / Like
    Much of this discussion is missing a couple points. Pretty likely if your car's going to get stolen (and that's a big if) all the immobilizers in the world or whatever scheme you have isn't going to mean much when they're winching it up on a flatbed or rollback. But having said that, most car thieves are looking for specific cars with specific content they can chop and resell. Our cars are wildcards and really don't fit into that. Not saying don't be careful, cover at night when unattended, etc. I do that too. And I have an AirTag in the glovebox just for grins. But in 12+ years of driving all over, parked at multiple hotels, restaurants, work, etc. I've never had any issues. Plus it's insured if the worst happens. My experience is mainly that people respect it and leave it alone. For me anyway, this subject is pretty overplayed. Relax about it.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

29. Likes 33fromSD, TxMike64 liked this post