Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Gtm gas smell

Post Thanks / Like

Question Gtm gas smell

I have a gen . ! GTM I've noticed a gas smell while driving. I have checked every fitting , fuel line, fuel rail etc. etc. Has anyone had the same problem ? I just ordered a charcoal evap canister in hopes it will help.. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Another thing to check is if your GTM is using the corvette plastic gas tanks. The fittings for the cross over tube had a tendency to leak around the hole in the tank that was drilled into it.

Just a thought

Ron
    "May you be in heaven a full half hour before the Devil knows you're dead"

3. Thanks Old Racer thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Solid fuel lines or braided stainless? If braided, rubber or PTFE?

5. Thanks Old Racer thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by egchewy79 View Post
    Solid fuel lines or braided stainless? If braided, rubber or PTFE?
    This right here. I'm glad someone pointed out to me when I installed a braided line that it should be PTFE. Simple fix at the time and not the only costly mistake I've made along the way

7. Thanks Old Racer thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Where are the fuel tanks vented to? Yes, the #1 priority is going to be to see if you have raw fuel leaking out somewhere and fix that. But the other main issue here is that you can smell gas while driving....which means that your cockpit is not properly sealed up.....which means that you're probably also breathing exhaust fumes also. If the tanks are vented near the vents in the tanks, you've probably got a huge opening in the fit with the tank covers to cockpit sidewall close-outs or the area around the halo where the body meets the window/cockpit aluminum panel. All of that needs to be sealed up tight. The area behind the outboard seat belt mounts should be sealed up tight so that you don't have fumes being pulled in around the seat belt retractors. Those close-out panels are a very poor fit and need a ton of work in order to get sealed up properly from top to bottom as they extend all the way from the door striker to the bottom of the chassis.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

9. Thanks Old Racer thanked for this post
    Likes Shoeless liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Unless you are running E85 I do not believe the PTFE is needed. I have run pump gas, and race gas through the rubber lines with braided outer shielding for decades and not had an issue. Do I replace the lines roughly every 5 years? Yes. A far bigger issue for safety is the adapter that is used on the LS fuel rail. MAKE SURE it is a positively captured fitting and not one that just snaps on with a plastic retainer. The FFR GTM race car burned because of this.

My suggestion...fill the tanks full, let the car sit on something where you can see any fuel leaks, (maybe just put a fresh, clean piece of cardboard under the entire rear of the car) and if you observe no leakage after a week, then concentrate on the vents and firewall sealing. Not that the vents and firewall are not needed to be addressed no matter what, but leaking fuel would be my first priority. As mentioned, crossover tube is highly suspect for leaks.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

11. Thanks Old Racer thanked for this post
    Likes Shoeless liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks