Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: One of the smallest Ford powered British sports cars

Post Thanks / Like

One of the smallest Ford powered British sports cars

My buddy Bill restores and builds exotic cars, eventually a GT40 MK IV that we ran in vintage.
    This was one of his earlier projects that I helped him with, replacing the lower frame tubes. The car was from Long Island NY and it had been pancaked on the sand.
    We cut the FRP bonding web from under the tubes; with repair we created body mounting pads for mechanical fastening.
    After a shake-down on MKE streets we took it to vintage events at Road America.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...-series-200-6/

The 85.5 inch wheelbase contributes to pucker factor at speed, and especially exiting corners, modulating the throttle.
    jim
    Last edited by J R Jones; 02-03-2023 at 01:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh wow an original Griffith. It was named after a US automotive reporter who put a ford V8 in to a TVR much like what Shelby did with the AC. There was a quote from a daytona motorcycle racer that he felt safer flat out on the banks of Daytona than he did sitting in the Griffith in the garage. These cars sparked the 90's TVR's that I remember from growing up including the 90's Griffith which was named in honor of this car. These things are totally bonkers

Post Thanks / Like
    Neighbor had a white one when I was a kid. I thought it was cool then and still do!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh weird, I never realized that this wasn't also a TVR Griffith. That's what I always called them.. learn something every day
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CABulldog View Post
    Oh wow an original Griffith. It was named after a US automotive reporter who put a ford V8 in to a TVR much like what Shelby did with the AC. There was a quote from a daytona motorcycle racer that he felt safer flat out on the banks of Daytona than he did sitting in the Griffith in the garage. These cars sparked the 90's TVR's that I remember from growing up including the 90's Griffith which was named in honor of this car. These things are totally bonkers
    Jack Griffith was a Ford/Cobra dealer from Long Island New York that borrowed a Cobra engine from Mark Donohue's race car for his Griffith proof of concept car in 1963. Ford bought into the project, supplying engines and transmissions.
    https://www.hemmings.com/stories/article/jack-griffith

I speculate that Jack's salesmanship (BS) was not equal to Carroll Shelby's.
    Also:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TVR_Gr...Griffith%20200.
    jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRacer View Post
    Oh weird, I never realized that this wasn't also a TVR Griffith. That's what I always called them.. learn something every day
    James,
    Wikipedia:
    Legacy
    The Griffith Series 200 was followed by the Griffith Series 400 and the Griffith Series 600 before the company ceased operations. In the early 1990s TVR paid homage to the original Griffith by introducing the TVR Griffith. This was the first true use of the name "TVR Griffith".
    jim

Post Thanks / Like
    The Griffith went for $100K, a low price in my opinion. My Shelby, Cobra, Ford buddy got into the bidding but fell off the pace.

This is interesting vintage racing from Great Britain, Cobra vs Griffith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N2NIm12tMs

These guys drive more aggressivly than what I see in vintage racing in this country. Lots of risk. The Griffith moves around constantly, a handful.
    jim

8. Likes Nigel Allen, JimLev liked this post