Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: STAINLESS-STEEL BRAIDED BRAKE HOSES tips and tricks?

Post Thanks / Like

STAINLESS-STEEL BRAIDED BRAKE HOSES tips and tricks?

GTM Gen 2.

Next sub-system I want to verify is the braking system (I bought the car "80%" completed).

It currently has rubber lines, unknown history, so I am thinking of updating the brake lines to braided lines.

The car will be 95+% street driven, (live just west of Denver so twisty mountain road are a given), with 1 or 2 open track days (Thanks Ignite Performance https://www.igniteperformanceusa.com/) a year.

What are the tips / tricks when looking for braided brake lines?
    Do stock C5 Corvette lines work or do I need different lengths?

Post Thanks / Like
    Which calipers are you going to run?....the stock C5 calipers? For most aftermarket calipers, the C5 brake lines will not work. Getting the correct length and getting them installed and angled correctly is critical. Too short and of course, they'll be stretched tight when turned full lock. Too long and they'll be hitting the inside of the wheels when turned full lock or even with the wheels straight. Angled too far out and they will hit the wheels. Angled too far in and they will hit the coil-over. Best to install them in an S shape.....headed downward off the chassis and downward again at the caliper. The rears can be tricky too trying to keep them away from the coil-over and also away from the wheel.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

Post Thanks / Like
    I have not done the fronts yet on the FFR PDG GTM race car, but I have rerouted the rears. I feel where the brake lines are "stock" exposes them to the hazards of a blown tire as well as what Shane mentions. I have chosen to run them down the upright, along the lower control arm and to a hardline mount that is moved to the lower frame rail, inside the "engine compartment". Instead of making my own lines, I measured what I needed and then order them premade from www.anplumbing.com. Their products are not always the cheapest, but compared to searching on Summit or Jegs their website is incredibly better to use. I am willing to pay them to save me time and aggravation... and many times their stuff is on par, price wise, to the others. I'll try and get some pics of what I have done next time I am at the shop.

EDIT:
    I did find a picture on my phone of the right rear area.

You can see in the circle where it meets the hard line and then it runs down the top of the front of the lower control arm just above the blue line. It doesn't look like braided line because I put Flame Guard sheathing on it, and you can also see where I further protected the line with a split rubber hose tie wrapped into place where the line goes over the lower control arm front pivot point. The last thing I want to have happen is to lose the brakes.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by crash; 02-06-2023 at 12:00 PM.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the Info.
    Now I need to inspect the rubber lines for both condition and make sure they are not rubbing on anything.

As for the calipers I have the stock base C5 setup.
    I have on order the C6 Z51 setup (bigger diameter rotors and mounting hardware for the C5 calipers).
    I know this won't help on the first stop, but from what I read it will help on the fifth stop.

I do admit that from a visual standpoint, and a performance standpoint, kicking up to Cadillac ATS Brembo calipers and C6 Z06 rotors look interesting.
    http://www.shredjesse.com/1999-c5-co...es-and-testing
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hM5oDQ2OLhU

If I remember my research correctly, Crash, you found a way to mount front rotors on the rear?
    Can you share any info on that?
    Last edited by doug_porsche; 02-06-2023 at 09:14 PM.

5. Thanks rolfer thanked for this post
    Likes rolfer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The suspension uprights are identical front and rear.....so all of the brake stuff is interchangeable. The only issue there is that you will lose your e-brake by installing front rotors/calipers on the rear. Hopefully Crash can expand on that part?
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Dang I appreciate you two.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes front bits can be used on the rear and vice-versa. The e-brake may be an issue. We do not use an e-brake on the race car. I know Brembo makes a stand alone e-brake caliper that is cable actuated.

I believe this is a picture of the Brembo cable e-brake unit...

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/a/im...238/Y4WN4O.jpg

Here is another image of how I mounted the brake line at the caliper...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by crash; 02-07-2023 at 10:54 AM.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts