FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 2012 West Coast Schedule

Post Thanks / Like

2012 West Coast Schedule

As posted from the CMC web Site:

Similar to 2011, we did our best to listen to our racers, and make changes to the schedule to see more drivers racing with us. Additionally, California V8 Ponycar racing goes back to Wlliow Springs after a 4 year hiatus!

For 2012, we will still have a total of 8 events, evenly split between NorCal and SoCal. Like 2011, we will have two "Cross-Over" events - the May 26/27 Willow Springs event, and the November 10/11 Infineon event. The May WSIR event will count towards the NorCal championship, and the November SPIR event will count towards the SoCal championship.

As before, the committed racer has the availability to win 3 championships in a single year, 4 championships if you include the Nationals. Standard 20% drop rules will apply to each of the championships:

NorCal - 3 drops (based on a 5 event, 15 race schedule)
    SoCal - 3 drops (based on a 5 event, 15 race schedule)
    West Coast - 5 drops (based on an 8 event, 24 race schedule)

This still provides for the racer who prefers to race close to home, but has the ability to travel for one event. It also gives ample time between events, in addition to a 2 month break for those who wish to attend the 2012 NASA Nationals at Mid-Ohio.

Below is our 2012 AI/CMC/FFR schedule, as noted, it's TENATIVE until further notice. We don't expect it to change, but the possibility exists. If the schedule changes, we'll keep you all posted.

2012 West Coast AI/CMC/FFR schedule:

Feb 11/12 - SPIR
    Mar 10/11 - SPIR
    Apr 21/22 - BW
    May 26/27 - WSIR (X-over to NorCal)
    June 23/24 - BW
    Aug 18/19 - THill
    Oct 13/14 - BW
    Nov 10/11 - SPIR (X-over SoCal)

Post Thanks / Like
    I would propose a slightly different schedule starting in March to allow racers more time to perform the challenge upgrade since the engine parts are not ready yet. Also this schedule would incorporate the WERC schedule as much as possible. Same drop/crossover rules apply.

Mar. 10-11. Infineon
    Apr 21-22. BW WERC
    May. 19-20. Thunderhill crossover and WERC
    Jun. 23-24. BW WERC
    Jul. 28-29. Auto club speedway. Crossover
    Aug. 18-19. Thunderhill
    Sep. 6-9. National championships mid Ohio
    Oct. 13-14. BW
    Nov. 10-11 Infineon

Karen and I have been working on this schedule for a few weeks and it seems to incorporate the events most of us are trying to attend. Any comments would be appreciated.
    Coyote powered Daytona Coupe Competition Racecar #21
    Challenge series #21
    FFR 33 Hot Rod
    2009 3rd place NorCal series
    2010 3rd place West Coast series
    2011 2nd place NorCal, 2nd place West Coast Series, 3rd place WERC class E1

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for working on this Jeff.......I guess some of the discussion has to be based on the long hauls the CA Speedway and T-Hill events present to both of the groups. WSIR is certainly much easier for a Nor Cal person to reach than driving all the way to Fontana on a Friday afternoon (no one looks forward to crawling along the 210 in Pasadena). The downside is in taking the highbank oval off the schedule and not giving the racers the opportunity to drive that venue.

That said, WSIR certainly has its own history and flavor, and a competant FFR driver should be able to tackle that track as well......Not sure if you've surveyed the group, but from what I know, I believe all but one of the competitors this year will be hailing from Nor Cal....In light of 12 hour tows for either group, perhaps the group could weigh in on their preference to keep the towing miles down, vs. which tracks they'd like to drive. (Me thinks the towing miles and time factor will win....If so, and if the WERC events are of little significance in doubling up the opportunity, then WSIR might win on that one)

Tom has been working on changing his car over, and I know a number of other folks have declared they are working on it as well. We all know the reality that all of the parts are not available (troubles with the heads), and therefore, setting a start date in March might take some of the pressure off and allow each person to tackle the upgrades in a more reasonable timeframe. Just installing the swaybar takes a bit of cutting and welding, so it requires a little more than just bolting it all in place.

Have you surveyed the group about who is "really" going to compete in all of the events and who is "really" doing all the upgrades?

Karen
    Last edited by vnmsss; 01-16-2012 at 12:50 PM.
    #28 FFR Challenge Series
    #28 FFR Type-65 Coupe
    2011 Western Endurance Racing Championship
    2010 West Coast Champion
    Drive it.....Like you stole it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Well .....It looks like I'm commited to the full schedule this year. The Datsun track car has been moved to the back garage and put on hold.
    The Challenge car is now in the front garage with the front end mods being done. My plan was to complete all the changes(except engine)
    for the Feb. race and complete the engine changes for the March race. My personal preference is to run WSIR rather than Fontana......but I have no aversion to running
    Fontana.
    By the By....who is actually gong to be active this year on the West Coast?.....anyone from SOCal?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have completed the suspension upgrade and it is indeed a pretty big job! Nothing is in itself particularly difficult, but as always with these cars everything takes a little more tweaking and adjusting than one might imagine.

As far as west coast racers doing the upgrade, I include myself, Robert Walter, Mike Beeler, and I have heard from Sern Clementson that he is back in this year. It is rumored that Rich Norgrove, the original racer 5, is on track for the upgrade, and we are all keeping our fingers crossed that Jeff Awender will hang with us for another year! Now if we can just convince TC McNett to come out of retirement we will have a shot at a great season!
    Challenge series #21
    FFR 33 Hot Rod

Post Thanks / Like
    I was just posting what the CMC guys have already decided. Unfortunately we don't have a West Coast director yet so as a group we didn't have any input for that schedule. I would be fine with what Tom has posted as I was planning on making those events anyway. I'm not sure if I will be able to make Fontana or Willow Springs.

Big question is who is committed to this season and what races? This season we are a small group so we need to have a schedule that would get most of us together at the same time.

Tom - Full Season
    Robert - Full Season
    Me- May or may not make either Willow or AAA Speedway
    Mike - Socal and Infineon???
    Rich -?
    Sern- Norcal Only???
    Karen- 2 challenge cars, coupe going to riverside, new coupe not built... surprise us!!!
    Last edited by DrAwender; 01-17-2012 at 01:54 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have looked at this schedule from a number of viewpoints and feel we should stick with the schedule as I posted earlier. The CMC schedule has a number of disadvantages.
    1. Early start difficult this year due to all currently committed racers in the middle of upgrade, and parts are unavailable.
    2. Schedule calls for 2 early trips to Infineon (generally in the rain), followed by 3 trips in a row to So Cal (and there is only 1 So Cal driver). More fair for everyone to do alternating locations.
    3. If we switch in Willow Springs into the late start schedule, we still need to make the tow to Auto Club Speedway in August because there is no NorCal event in August and we need an even number of events.

Additionally, conbining our weekends with the WERC events helps to keep the FFR family together, with team support from Karen's awesome Team Thunder Valley Racing.

-T
    Challenge series #21
    FFR 33 Hot Rod

Post Thanks / Like
    After much behind the scenes debate and discussion with NASA officials, taking into account race groups and car counts at multiple venues it appears best for the group overall that FFR remains aligned with CMC for the schedule. This gives us the most high quality track time and preserves the current 24 race schedule. Accordingly the final schedule will be as posted by Jeff earlier in this thread:

Feb 11-12. Infineon
    Mar 10-11. Infineon
    Apr. 21-22. BW
    May. 26-27. Willow Springs. (crossover to NorCal)
    Jun. 23-24. BW
    Aug. 18-19. Thunderhill
    Sep. 6-9. National Championships Mid-Ohio
    Oct. 13-14. BW
    Nov. 10-11. Infineon. (crossover to SoCal)

Let the racing begin!

Tom
    Challenge series #21
    FFR 33 Hot Rod

Post Thanks / Like
    OOPS....bad timing...just sent my Hans in for recertification....hopefully I'll get it back in time for the feb 11th race.
    Robert

Post Thanks / Like
    They have to be re certified? I probably wont be racing then either. This will be a slow season for FFR.
    Challenge series #21
    FFR 33 Hot Rod

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    We just received this from Jerry Kunzman (NASA) regarding a new SFI mandate that took place on January 1, 2012:

Folks,

We had some more questions, so I am trying to clarify this. If someone is using a 38.1 device without and FIA tag (in addition), then it must be sent in to the manufacturer for rectification (at a nominal cost). Don’t ask me what it cost exactly but it’s likely to be in the $15-$40 range.

This new SFI mandate took effect Jan 1, 2012. However, there is now a grace period of enforcement until April 1, 2012. So, those that wait until April 1 and ask to slide until the next event shouldn’t get to slide. This is the period where they get to “fix it for next time.”

If a device has an FIA tag, with or without and SFI tag, then it does not need to be recertified to comply with our rules.

Please let all your tech people know, as well as your drivers, so there are no surpises.

Jerry Kunzman

Executive Director

Nor Cal Regional Director
    Last edited by vnmsss; 01-27-2012 at 10:22 AM.
    #28 FFR Challenge Series
    #28 FFR Type-65 Coupe
    2011 Western Endurance Racing Championship
    2010 West Coast Champion
    Drive it.....Like you stole it!