FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  15

Thread: Airline Ticket Prices Have Gone Insane!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Airline Ticket Prices Have Gone Insane!!!

My wife and I are going on a vacation that we've been planning for over a year. I purchased our airline tickets several months ago. Today I checked to see what the prices for those flights looked like now to see if I got a good deal or if I should try to get the airline to refund any of the difference since my tickets are fully refundable. Well, when I purchased our tickets, they cost $4,534.02 for two first class tickets. The price for those same seats today is $10,688.00.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like you are headed out for a great vacation. We are seeing the effect of fuel futures (or lack thereof) and travel demand. I recently flew from Portland to Virginia with my daughter. On the way to the airport in DC there was a 13 car pileup and the freeway closed. We had to rebook our seats for the next day and they were more than what I initially paid. Regardless, enjoy your vacation!

Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed - airfare is ridiculous. One thing I've discovered is that, for the same itinerary, prices are always higher when booking on the weekends. Note - I'm not talking about what days to travel. I'm talking about what days you book your airfare. I'll never book airfare on a Fri-Sun. Tuesday and Wednesday prices for the same itinerary are almost always lower until inventory runs low.
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shannon4570 View Post
    Sounds like you are headed out for a great vacation. We are seeing the effect of fuel futures (or lack thereof) and travel demand. I recently flew from Portland to Virginia with my daughter. On the way to the airport in DC there was a 13 car pileup and the freeway closed. We had to rebook our seats for the next day and they were more than what I initially paid. Regardless, enjoy your vacation!
    It should be a great vacation. We're flying to Kauai and have a condo rented for a few days. We are going to do a Zodiak raft tour of the Na Pali coast. We're then hopping over to Oahu and doing a seven-day cruise around the islands on Norwegian Cruise Line's Pride of America.

This will be our fourth time doing this cruise. The cruise will leave Oahu and take us to Maui for two days with an excursion to Lanai, a day in Hilo and a day in Kona on the big island, back to Kauai for two days, then back to Oahu where we'll spend another four days before heading back.
    Last edited by Papa; 02-26-2023 at 11:47 AM.

Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

5. Likes JohnK, RoadRacer, FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jealous!!! We been to Maui three times and always piggy back another island! Have fun!
    MK4 #11012 picked up 04/16/24
    351W, 3 link, single roll bar
    MK4 #10616 picked up 4/10/23
    302w, 4 link, 17's, dual roll bar SOLD
    MK4 #9759 picked up on 4/3/19
    351C, 3 link, 17's, dual roll bars SOLD

7. Thanks Papa thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Higgybulin View Post
    Jealous!!! We been to Maui three times and always piggy back another island! Have fun!
    Maui is fantastic, especially in the winter when the whales are there. I know a lot of people that prefer to spend their entire vacation on Maui. The cruise offers a great way to really see Hawaii for all of its diversity. The ship sails at night, so the days are free to let you explore the island you're on for that day and with two overnights (Maui and Kaui), you can venture off without the fear of missing the ship. We've found that the cost of the cruise is very comparable to the cost of just lodging at a resort and you get all the food you can possibly want included in that cost. I always recommend this cruise to people making their first trip to Hawaii. It's amazing how different all the islands are from each other.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Dave. My wife and I love the islands. Been going since 78. I actually went there in 68 when I graduated HS to pick pineapples for Libby's. Was on Molokai for 10 weeks during the summer. Now when we go, we only go to the Big Island. Can't stand how overcrowded and busy the other islands have become.

Regarding air fares, we got a miles credit card years ago. We charge everything that we can and pay it off at the end of the month. Did that with our business for years. You can really rack up the miles. We're planning on going to Italy in the fall, and my wife got us first class air fare. It will cost us less than $20 each, round trip. Very few restrictions. Check them out, they really come in handy if you like to travel for vacations.
    Rick

Mk4 with Mr. Bruce FIA body, 331 w/ Speedmaster Stack Injection, Full Width Roll Bar with high brake lights by i.e.427, IRS, ABS, PS, PB, FAST FI, First start 3/30/20, First go-kart 7/5/20, paint by Ken Pike

10. Likes Papa liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like a great trip! We did this same cruise a few years ago. I got to play golf on both Maui and Kauai. If I remember correctly, we spent two days in Maui and two in Kauai. I thought Kauai was nicer. In any event, I'd be very happy to go again! One of my favorite excursions was to Volcano National Park. I don't know if you can still go there now, but it was fascinating!
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

12. Likes Papa liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    We have done Hawaiian Islands, but always low-key loose schedule and off the beaten path camping, snorkeling and B & Bs. Inevitably we lived and ate off the tourist grid with locals. We have stayed on the side of Haleakala, A surf/stilt house in Hanna Lea, an old Maui plantation surgeon's quarters. and a 27,000 acre ranch on the Mauna Kae volcano. One night after the 32 mile Hana Highway endurance run on Maui, we found the Campground on top of a bluff, overlooking the ocean surf. Pitched the tent, drank wine and retired. Next morning at sunrise I found we took the wrong driveway and were camped in an ancient graveyard. We have seen the whales, avoided the sharks, but did encounter Portuguese Man O Wars on the north east shore of Oahu.
    jim

14. Likes Papa liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EZ$ View Post
    Hey Dave. My wife and I love the islands. Been going since 78. I actually went there in 68 when I graduated HS to pick pineapples for Libby's. Was on Molokai for 10 weeks during the summer. Now when we go, we only go to the Big Island. Can't stand how overcrowded and busy the other islands have become.

Regarding air fares, we got a miles credit card years ago. We charge everything that we can and pay it off at the end of the month. Did that with our business for years. You can really rack up the miles. We're planning on going to Italy in the fall, and my wife got us first class air fare. It will cost us less than $20 each, round trip. Very few restrictions. Check them out, they really come in handy if you like to travel for vacations.
    I have a United Mileage Plus card and make most major purchases on that card when we can, including paying for these vacations. I have almost half a million miles in the bank and we're saving those to do a trip to Australia and New Zealand in a couple of years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Al_C View Post
    Sounds like a great trip! We did this same cruise a few years ago. I got to play golf on both Maui and Kauai. If I remember correctly, we spent two days in Maui and two in Kauai. I thought Kauai was nicer. In any event, I'd be very happy to go again! One of my favorite excursions was to Volcano National Park. I don't know if you can still go there now, but it was fascinating!
    We've been there while the volcano was active and couldn't see too much due to the vog. The first time we did the cruise, there was a lot of lava flowing and the ship sailed around to the side of the island where we could see it flowing into the ocean at night. Quite a beautiful sight.

Post Thanks / Like
    My wife used to be a bartender on that ship in a former life

18. Likes Papa liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    I have a United Mileage Plus card and make most major purchases on that card when we can, including paying for these vacations. I have almost half a million miles in the bank and we're saving those to do a trip to Australia and New Zealand in a couple of years.
    We did our own B & B thing in New Zealand a couple of years ago. Rented a car for a week on the North Island, turned it in, and ferried to the South Island to rent another car.
    Don't wait to go there. It is nothing like Hawaii, much more diverse with flora / fauna you will see nowhere else on earth. You can stand in the jungle and see a glacier in the distance. Ferns as big as trees. Thermal ponds and geysers abound. Geothermal heat everywhere.
    The Mauri are also Polynesian and extremely interesting. The country is entirely spotless because that is how they think. Nature is sacred. None of the exploitation common to Hawaii.
    Fly Quantis if possible.
    jim

20. Likes Papa liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by J R Jones View Post
    We did our own B & B thing in New Zealand a couple of years ago. Rented a car for a week on the North Island, turned it in, and ferried to the South Island to rent another car.
    Don't wait to go there. It is nothing like Hawaii, much more diverse with flora / fauna you will see nowhere else on earth. You can stand in the jungle and see a glacier in the distance. Ferns as big as trees. Thermal ponds and geysers abound. Geothermal heat everywhere.
    The Mauri are also Polynesian and extremely interesting. The country is entirely spotless because that is how they think. Nature is sacred. None of the exploitation common to Hawaii.
    Fly Quantis if possible.
    jim
    We're looking at a 34-day cruise that starts in Sydney and heads counter clockwise around Australia until it visits Tasmania and then across to New Zealand from Fjord Lands to Auckland and then back to Sydney.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the United card but don’t really use it anymore (keep it open for the credit score impact) I have switched to the capital one venture card, double miles any airline or other travel expense. 1,000 miles is $1 credit. I use it all every few years and have over 650,000 miles right now which gives me $6,500 credit to spend. We went to Maui for our honeymoon staying at the Sheraton, loved it have not made it back yet.

23. Thanks Papa thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did that cruise last year, loved it. It was my first trip back to Hawaii since the mid 80's in the Navy. Have a short cruise planned this December with some grand kids to Cozumel, short cruise and I am sure I would rather be visiting Hawaii!

Post Thanks / Like
    We're looking at a 34-day cruise that starts in Sydney and heads counter clockwise around Australia until it visits Tasmania and then across to New Zealand from Fjord Lands to Auckland and then back to Sydney.
    34 days is quite a commitment.
    I am fascinated by Australia but intimidated by the size of it. We decided New Zealand is more manageable. My perception is the vastness of Australia could be tedious in areas. My experience is that the diversity of New Zealand is constantly entertaining.
    Aukland is the most metropolitan part of NZ. Most of the other cities have their own charm. Most roads are two lane, most bridges are one lane.
    The seas between Wellington and Waikawa (So Island) can be as violent as anywhere in the world. The Ferry is huge. The south end of the south island has some influence from Antarctica.
    The isolation from the rest of the world is unsettling, but that passes.
    BTW the whales near Kaikura are Sperm Whales not Hump Back or Blues. They sound on 20 minute intervals.
    jim

Post Thanks / Like
    " My perception is the vastness of Australia could be tedious in areas."

Sometimes the vastness of nothing, makes it really something.

r191_127_2309_1533_w2500_h1660_fmax.jpg

australien-die-wenigsten-strassen-im-australischen-outback-sind-gepflastert-fucc88r-die-meisten-.jpg

Whitehaven-Beach-Whitsunday-Islands-4.jpg

9ff322bfdc902c89b50e75a7ff0d89ca.jpg

Wandjinas-Window-min_adobespark.jpeg

outback-wild-spots-banner.jpg

If you visit South Australia, it comes with the free offer of a ride in a Mk4. You even get to sit in the left hand seat!

Cheers,

Nige
    Mk.4 FFR supplied Right hand drive
    Received 12/2012 completed 12/2019
    Gen1 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS
    Lots of mods to make compliant for Australian design rules

27. Thanks Papa thanked for this post
    Likes weendoggy, Papa, FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Most awesome. Recently holidayed in Tasmania, very beautiful and also at Circular quay in Sydney, right adjacent to where the cruise ships dock. Maybe you should consider turning 34 days into 34 weeks...

Cheers,

Nige
    Mk.4 FFR supplied Right hand drive
    Received 12/2012 completed 12/2019
    Gen1 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS
    Lots of mods to make compliant for Australian design rules

29. Likes Papa liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Allen View Post
    " My perception is the vastness of Australia could be tedious in areas."

Sometimes the vastness of nothing, makes it really something.

r191_127_2309_1533_w2500_h1660_fmax.jpg

australien-die-wenigsten-strassen-im-australischen-outback-sind-gepflastert-fucc88r-die-meisten-.jpg

Whitehaven-Beach-Whitsunday-Islands-4.jpg

9ff322bfdc902c89b50e75a7ff0d89ca.jpg

Wandjinas-Window-min_adobespark.jpeg

outback-wild-spots-banner.jpg

If you visit South Australia, it comes with the free offer of a ride in a Mk4. You even get to sit in the left hand seat!

Cheers,

Nige
    Awesome photos! I think I have added Australia to my bucket list. Don't know about Dave, but I would certainly love to take you up on your offer!
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

31. Likes Papa liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have noticed that when travelling from Canada, to almost anywhere, the taxes and fees are about half as much again as to what the actual vacation/travel cost is. I suspect that may not even include the additional fee charged for luggage, being that amount is usually based on weight.
    Most of the advertised vacation costs aren't allowing for first class air travel. That is a whole other ball game.
    FFR6803RD, MK 3.1, 302 EFI, fr/rr disc brakes, WC-T5, c/w Hurst Competition Plus shifter, 3 link rear, Koni adjustable coil over shocks, dual roll bars, BBK 4-4 headers, 3.55 rear gears, BBK rear lower control arms c/w poly bushings. Ivy Green Metallic Arrived-02/08, On road 09/2010

33. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Having ridden a bike on most of the coast of Australia and many time in Western Australia, I'd reconsider. While there are a few great things to see, it will get boring. You may hit a wildlife bonanza around Ningaloo Reef, but not real likely. The southern coast gets real old even at 100mph. East Australia, Taz, New Zealand without WA more better.
    MKII "Little Boy". 432CI all aluminum Windsor. .699 solid roller, DA Koni shocks, aluminum IRS, Straight cut dog ring T-5, 13" four piston Brembos, Bogart wheels. BOOM!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeinatlanta View Post
    Having ridden a bike on most of the coast of Australia and many time in Western Australia, I'd reconsider. While there are a few great things to see, it will get boring. You may hit a wildlife bonanza around Ningaloo Reef, but not real likely. The southern coast gets real old even at 100mph. East Australia, Taz, New Zealand without WA more better.
    Here is an example itinerary I found:

Seems that the southern ports are limited. Unfortunately, this itinerary doesn't hit the northern island of New Zealand, but it gives you an idea of what I'm looking for.

36. Likes Nigel Allen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    If I had to pick one of those I'd go the northern route. Southern ports are limited because there is nothing there. Starving sailors used to come ashore there, clime up and die in the desert. That place is so remote they sell souvenir t-shirts for having driven across. Here is a photo of me crossing on a bike. The GPS was on auto zoom. Zoom in and you'll see what I'm talking about. Yes, that's the entire southern coast, next turn a roundabout in 651K.
    GOPR0266.jpg
    MKII "Little Boy". 432CI all aluminum Windsor. .699 solid roller, DA Koni shocks, aluminum IRS, Straight cut dog ring T-5, 13" four piston Brembos, Bogart wheels. BOOM!

Post Thanks / Like
    Tried to delete the double post but it wont let me.
    Last edited by mikeinatlanta; 03-11-2023 at 06:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I ended up booking a 13-day cruise with Norwegian Cruise Lines for 2025. It doesn't hit all the places in Australia I wanted to see, but checks a lot of other boxes.