Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: The Search for a gtm chassis🫣

Post Thanks / Like

The Search for a gtm chassis🫣

Hello everyone
    It’s been a long while since I’ve posted on the forums, but I still have my gtm I finished back in 2009 and loving it! As well as working on other cool stuff. I didn’t think the classified section would get the needed parties attention, so I’m posting in the group.
    I’ve acquired a different mid engine project about a year ago. Based off some rough measurements from my current gtm. I’ve determined in my 47 yrs, I’m now older and maybe a bit wiser 😂 😂
    I can save myself a ton of work by modifying a gtm chassis. It’s a long shot (and I’m not in a rush) but wanted to get a inquiry out for any thing possibly floating around.

Anything slightly damaged or more “realistically” an abandoned project that was never started. I’m Really only looking for the chassis, or the chassis and bodywork as that seems more obtainable. I already have everything else needed relating to c5 suspension, I’m using an Audi engine and transaxle.

Thank you all and look forward to catching back up on the forum again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you looked at a generic mid engine chassis?

https://stricklandracinginc.com/chassis

3. Thanks RoadRacer thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Like the Strickland chassis, the RCR chassis is designed to fit multiple platforms. I don't know if it is offered outside a kit, but may be another option. Certainly both of these are more universal than the GTM chassis that is designed and built specifically for the GTM.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    I do not think the RCR is available outside of a kit, in face the RCR forum is where I first learned of the Strickland option.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajzride View Post
    I do not think the RCR is available outside of a kit, in face the RCR forum is where I first learned of the Strickland option.
    The RCR owner is very independent and not flexible. I know of two RCR customers that have a difficult time getting cooperation or parts from him.
    The RCR chassis designs are not replicas but a generic based on aluminum plate and steel tubing. The origins go to the GT40 configuration and my buddy with an RCR P4 Ferrari had to cut the body into segments similar to the original Ferrari because he could not remove (GT40) access panels from the chassis tub.
    Strickland does not look inexpensive.
    jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe give a little different point of view...with only 534 of the GTM chassis' out there in the world and no more being built, it would be a shame if you cut one up to use on another project. I think the FFR GTM parts are going to be getting much more valuable from here on out.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Kindigit design did a full restomod customization of a Pantera this last season. They used a chassis from the Roadster Shop. The had the RS make up the chassis to length as they stretched the Pantera. Since the RS makes chassis and not full blown kits customization should not be an issue.
    https://roadstershop.com/galleries/kindig-pantera/
    MK4 base kit, 2004 Mach 1 donor, 4.6L DOHC, TR-3650 5-speed, narrowed stock axle with 3.55 gears and TruTrac, PS, PB, ABS, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, started 12/2011, registered 9/2014, sold 3/1/2018.
    1970 Mustang Fastback Coyote powered Boss 302 tribute. Started 10/14/16.
    Gen 3 Coupe Base Kit non-donor build. Ordered 4/5/2024 to be received August 2024.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, Kindigit has used RS chassis on a few of their projects. They also did a Mercedes 300SL gullwing replica with an RS chassis. I'm actually looking at an RS chassis for a future project. It's definitely quality stuff.
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

Post Thanks / Like
    What's your wheelbase? I know the C5 chassis has been converted to mid engine. The first couple of Falcon f7 prototypes were done on a modified c5 chassis. This guy bought one of them :
    https://www.gt40s.com/threads/mid-engine-c5-t70.54311/
    MK3.1 2004 Mach 1 donor. ABS, PS, TC.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3
    2000 C5 Lingenfelter LS1@489hp
    1999 Corvette FRC/Z06 track car

Post Thanks / Like
    Gt40s.com is a great resource for any mid-engine tech and discussion btw...
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    I don’t disagree, but think there are still several kits that haven’t progressed or builders who have lost interest. Out of the 500 plus kits, do we know roughly how many have been completed? The cost to build one now is not the same as when the gtm made it’s debut. I think the more time that passes, the tougher it maybe to sell unfinished kits given the lack of support. Some may decide to part out the kits,(as you say the parts will be more desirable/valuable than the complete kits.) On the plus side, if I take one chassis off the list,it will just increase the value of mine, yours and everyone else’s 😂 🫣

Post Thanks / Like
    I have all the corvette suspension, brakes etc. so ideally want to keep this platform. I have also looked into these cradle kits that can be built off of. This will be the route I take if nothing becomes available.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan_C View Post
    Kindigit design did a full restomod customization of a Pantera this last season. They used a chassis from the Roadster Shop. The had the RS make up the chassis to length as they stretched the Pantera. Since the RS makes chassis and not full blown kits customization should not be an issue.
    https://roadstershop.com/galleries/kindig-pantera/
    I saw the episodes, such a beautiful car! However, I could probably buy a complete unfinished gtm kit with goodies for what RS would want for their custom chassis.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by beeman View Post
    What's your wheelbase? I know the C5 chassis has been converted to mid engine. The first couple of Falcon f7 prototypes were done on a modified c5 chassis. This guy bought one of them :
    https://www.gt40s.com/threads/mid-engine-c5-t70.54311/
    What you linked to there is a Lola T-70 Mark IIIB build. It appears to be a home build as RCR does offer this in a kit, but on their universal chassis...which is what the Falcon F7 was built on...that is the universal RCR chassis. I do not ever remember seeing an F7 that did not use the RCR chassis, but would be interested if you have pictures.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is my discussion with him in the above link. I feel like the F7 designer visited one of these forums back in the day when he was developing the prototype chassis.

2023-02-28 13_26_08-(1) Mid-engine C5 T70 _ GT40s.jpg
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    Here you go!
    The Michigan-based company was founded in 2009 by American automotive designer and engineer Jeff Lemke.
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/this-...t-idea.260464/
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    Lemke’s original plan was to build a midengine version of the Corvette, on a hydroformed steel frame, he says.
    https://falconf7.com/rise-of-the-fal...ican-supercar/
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    I do see where the guy talks about it, but, and I may be missing something, I do not see any pictures where the F7 body is on that vette frame. And not anything that is even a rolling setup. Yes he talks about the original concept, but I can not recall ever seeing the vette frame with that body. As far as I know, all F7s have an RCR frame. Could be they used the vette frame as a mock up to hold the original body, but every picture I recall seeing of the F7 was with the RCR frame. Not a big thing and not trying to be picky, just was surprised when it was stated that "The first couple of Falcon f7 prototypes were done on a modified c5 chassis." That was news to me.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike, I don't see any pictures of it either, other than the guy building the Lola on one he bought from Lemke
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

21. Likes Samurai41 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Samurai41 View Post
    I have all the corvette suspension, brakes etc. so ideally want to keep this platform. I have also looked into these cradle kits that can be built off of. This will be the route I take if nothing becomes available.
    is this one of those cradle kits that you mentioned?

https://rick486.wixsite.com/dobbertinperformance

Ron
    "May you be in heaven a full half hour before the Devil knows you're dead"

Post Thanks / Like
    I see a Mendeola SDR option on that site. Cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Presto51 View Post
    is this one of those cradle kits that you mentioned?

https://rick486.wixsite.com/dobbertinperformance

Ron
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crash View Post
    I see a Mendeola SDR option on that site. Cool!
    This looks (yes, fun! but...) a wee bit dangerous

GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes ��

Post Thanks / Like
    OK,, let me ask the question. What's a GTM chassis worth? I have one slightly modified,, and of course everything else.
    Last edited by gtpvette; 03-02-2023 at 11:12 PM.
    FFR GTM Chassis 22
    2016 Corvette M7 Z51
    2015 Scion FRS
    AKA FAB on other forum

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gtpvette View Post
    OK,, let me ask the question. What's a GTM chassis worth? I have one slightly modified,, and of course everything else.
    Sent you a pm