FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: 818C Body Fitment advice or tips

Post Thanks / Like

818C Body Fitment advice or tips

I'm getting ready to start messing with body fitment, 818C, and welcome any advice. Possibly the most important relationship is the doors to top and sides? At least in build threads I have read people talk about how difficult the door fitment is. I am planning to use fasteners for easy removal and adjustment, probably rivnuts.

Thanks,

Mark
    MK4 #9130 , complete kit, arrived 8/10/2017, Street Legal 2/14/2020.
    DART SHP 347, EFI, TKO600, IRS
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...n-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    My advice... Assume the part fits as designed be it a door, panel, wherever. If it isn't fitting, be very hesitant to start trimming something or cussing out FFR for making a ****ty kit and assume there is a possibility that you just need to fiddle with it a bit longer.

Yes, the doors. The instructions in the build book to hang the door is basically one page. It took me 3 days of trying and retrying and extreme discipline to not start trimming and grinding away "FFR's mistakes". In the end, everything fit as FFR intended except... I did cut a V in the door and pulled the top of the V together to eliminate scrapping when opening / closing the door.door V cut.jpg
    Last edited by Dave 53; 03-12-2023 at 02:30 PM.

3. Thanks Mark Eaton thanked for this post
    Likes jbs72697 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Buy several cheap decks of playing cards to use a temporary shims. That way you can set a perfect gap all the way around a body panel (example the door may like 7 cards or 15 cards stacked together, with 5-10 stacks all the way around) and it will stay in place while you bolt things down.

5. Thanks Mark Eaton thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajzride View Post
    Buy several cheap decks of playing cards to use a temporary shims. That way you can set a perfect gap all the way around a body panel (example the door may like 7 cards or 15 cards stacked together, with 5-10 stacks all the way around) and it will stay in place while you bolt things down.
    My cheat for this is to work for a company that wants you to have business cards, and also wants to change their name and/or merge a few times over the years. I have so many old business cards.

Post Thanks / Like
    Make sure that the roof b-pillar lines up with the door opening in the side sail.
    Kit #361, arrived 10/2015, still in progress
    818C highly modified, corvette suspension
    Estimated completion summer 2023!
    1989 turbo Supra 5 sp
    2017 Tundra

8. Thanks Mark Eaton thanked for this post

Yes, I love Technology
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was using popsicle sticks to shim the doors and son-of-a-gun I sank one into a soft spot in the gel-coat just about the width of a stick along the sail's transition from outside surface to between the door. It had been missed during paint prep a couple months earlier: Ooops - a paint spot to fix, etc. Stack of cards much better idea from now on.