Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Route 66 trip suggestions ?

split time between South Florida and Western North Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Route 66 trip suggestions ?

I知 doing the entire Route 66 with two other guys next year, April 2024. Hoping to take the FFR Roadster, but older Z4 Roadster is my backup. I知 trying to get an idea of car guy stuff to see or do on the trip, including any cool car museums, race shops, or fun driving roads that are twisty and uncrowded. No ideas yet on food or lodging. We値l be starting in Chicago. Any ideas, experiences, or advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. John P

Post Thanks / Like
    Pops is not really a "car place" but always draws cool cars. They've got decent food and an endless selection of sodas.

https://pops66.com/

The Arcadia Round Barn is nearby and makes a cool photo-op, as well.

https://arcadiaroundbarn.com/

Kyle

Post Thanks / Like
    The Wigwam Motel Located On Old Route 66 In Holbrook, Arizona. https://sleepinawigwam.com/ It is very close to Petrified forest National Park, and not far from the Grand Canyon. There is almost too much to see in Arizona.

Post Thanks / Like
    My suggestion is to buy at least two different guide books. Second is don't get too wrapped up in trying to find the actual old route. It can consume considerable time just finding some of it.
    MKII "Little Boy". 432CI all aluminum Windsor. .699 solid roller, DA Koni shocks, aluminum IRS, Straight cut dog ring T-5, 13" four piston Brembos, Bogart wheels. BOOM!

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    You want the "feel" what it was like to travel the old Rt 66 stop in Tucumcari, NM at the Blue Swallow Motel where they leave the garage door open for you! The motel will remind you of what it was like to travel the old road in the vehicles they had back in the 30's!
    https://blueswallowmotel.com/
    Ralph Button
    FFR 1436 (PROUD Owner of an Original Mark I)
    400,013 miles as of 11/1/2009
    417,840 miles as of 8/12/2010
    435,021 miles as of 12/19/2011
    Now a well broken in 347 engine
    523,145 miles as of 7/29/2014
    601,165 miles as of 6/1/2018
    615,215 miles as of 4/23/2022

"It's not about the destination, it's the about the journey. And where is your journey taking you?"

"... Not all who wander are lost!... --J.R.R. Tolkien

6. Thanks John Phillips thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I enjoy the Oklahoma Stretch. Haven’t done the entire trip but have visited the strip between Oklahoma City and Tulsa a number of times. Between Oklahoma City and Tulsa there are already a few good mentions above. Personally, I wouldn’t get overwrought in the specific automobile only related attractions. There is a ton of stuff to enjoy. Did you know that Al Capone was influential in the decision to extend and expand the road? Prior to the route it was tough to drive trucks loaded with whiskey out west from Illinois because the off road ish conditions made it hard to transport anything glass. The original road was forged through in 1926, but in 1928 they came back and straightened it. That left sections of the road cut off by the straight highway. There are a number of these orphaned remnants that cut off of the current route and that join back after a piece. Many homes were along the original route and the old road serves as a service roads. I think I show some examples in this video. I’r recommend you review the movie, “The Grapes of Wrath” before finalizing your plans. Much of the movie was shot along route 66 and there are still some features from that movie available and they make great backdrops for pictures. In Oklahoma at least you will see many car clubs and groups traveling the route.

8. Thanks John Phillips thanked for this post
    Likes kgkeys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

10. Thanks John Phillips thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lucilles in Weatherford, OK

https://lucillesroadhouse.com/

It's not the original one but it is a pretty darn good stop.
    FFR Roadster Delivered 9/16/21
    Forte 427 Fuel Injected with TKX Transmission
    Forte's Axle

12. Thanks John Phillips thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    We did as much of the road as possible between 4 corners (AZ, UT, CO and NM) and Chicago. In many places the old road is marked; in others it parallels or is replaced by the interstate. Carhenge is fun in Texas (if it hasn't rusted away yet). There are so many great places to see - you may end up taking more time than you planned! There's a great museum in Pontiac, IL, and several old service stations (O'Dell, Springfield, etc.) I second the idea of getting a couple of guidebooks.
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

14. Thanks John Phillips thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey John close to Chicago in Volo Illinois is a decent car museum. Volo Auto Museum. If that's your jump off point. They also sell classics on the side. As you make your way south in my home town Springfield Illinois on route 66 you may stop in for a bite to eat at Motorheads off 55 south. Toronto Road Exit. Motorheads is a great place for brew and during the warmer months tons of locals car and bike clubs hit the place up. Sometimes live music etc. They have nice decor on the inside racing and classics. Bikes cars etc. Usual pub food items not sure I have come across anything special yet. There is always OBed and Isaac's micro brewery restaurant downtown Springfield near the Abraham Lincoln Home. Few more upscale places to eat if those don't interest you. Not a car museum but near Springfield is New Salem. On a warm day it's a nice short walk through a recreation of early settlers days. Log cabin homes blacksmith shops and stores. More Lincoln History stuff. Also downtown Springfield is the Abraham Lincoln Museum. If you make your way to Springfield on Sept 22 they have the Route 66 Mother road car show downtown Springfield. Weather permitting that is always a huge turnout.

https://66motorheads.com/

P.S.
    Almost forgot Cozy Dog. Little hole in the wall local place that was on the original route 66 on 5th-6th street on edge of town. Corn dogs fries burgers but like many places not the same as it once was. I remember the original building from younger days. I don't mind going there on occasion for nostalgia. I still see folks on occasion taking selfies near the sign. Met a nice couple from England there once having lunch when I showed up with a couple Ducati friends. Their goal was also to travel the mother road on motorcycles. We chatted up for a while about their bikes and travel plans.
    Last edited by PointmanUSMC; 03-17-2023 at 11:36 AM.

16. Thanks John Phillips thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes! Cozy Dog! Definitely go there. There was also Bill Shea's museum in an old Texaco station in Springfield. Don't know if that's still around. If it is, it's full of interesting old gas station stuff.
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

18. Thanks John Phillips thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Last week our NM car club drove out to the Route 66 Auto Museum in Santa Rosa, https://www.route66automuseum.net/ very close to the old Rt 66 Russell's truck stop museum in Glen Rio, NM that R. Button mentioned.
    http://www.russellsttc.com/

In Albuquerque there is the Unser Racing Museum.
    Lots of great driving mountainous roads here in NM.
    You said your backup was a Z4, as in a BMW Z4?

20230311_135948.jpg

20230311_135952.jpg

20230311_143333.jpg

20230311_140720.jpg

20230311_141155.jpg

Unser Museum
    DSCN1110.jpg

DSCN1111.jpg

DSCN1114.jpg

DSCN1128.jpg

DSCN1108.jpg
    Last edited by JimLev; 03-24-2023 at 02:45 PM. Reason: added pics and link
    '33 Hotrod, #1047 Gen 1, delivered on 2/27/18, go cart on 9/24/18.
    LS3 w/Gearstar Level 3 4L65e Tranny, Yank converter, Lokar shifter, Electric PS, Vintage AC/Heat/Def, 8.8" 3.55
    TorqThrust II Wheels w/Toyo Proxy T1 Sport Tires, F 235/45ZR17 R 295/35ZR18
    Garage Built, Driveway Painted.

20. Thanks John Phillips thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Jimlev, a few years ago a wounded 2007 Z4 convert followed me home really cheap. It runs nice, only about 85,000 miles now, so that’s my backup plan. Hoping to have my Mk4 FFR done & painted & road tested by next April for this trip.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    You guys are great! Thanks for all the info & suggestions. I’ll get on it, & forward this thread to my traveling companions to get them inspired too. I’m really not much of a planner, but this should be totally doable. Thanks again for sharing your ideas.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Ralph, I’ll take your travel advice any day!!! I just ran across the artwork we used for our Stooges Tour T-shirts in 2001. My shirt is long gone, but the memories of the trip are as vivid as ever! Thanks my friend. 3EFFBCEC-0A9B-463F-B1AF-4E5C2A86FCD5.jpegEFA1B1CB-B72A-4E4A-BE9C-42A5AFBD7F5C.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    There is a good car museum on the old 66 in Santa Rosa, New Mexico

25. Thanks John Phillips thanked for this post