Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: LED lighting - for FastGuyEddie

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb LED lighting - for FastGuyEddie

I know FastGuyEddie is a lighting expert around here, and I've benefitted from a lot of advice and suggestions he has given me in that area over the years. I stumbled across this article over the weekend and thought it was pretty well written and might be of interest to FGE and perhaps others as well.

https://nymag.com/strategist/article...stigation.html

Cheers, John
    FFR10004105RD: Twin-turbo BMW V12 powered FFR Roadster
    Currently garaging 2,600hp spread across 78 cylinders and 4 turbochargers

Post Thanks / Like
    Fantastic article, I read the whole thing.

It's important to understand that there is a huge difference between specification-grade products and consumer-grade products. I design specification-grade products, these can usually only be bought through an established lighting firm and/or through an architectural firm.

The biggest problems with consumer-grade LEDs for the home are:

1. Cheap stuff from China - the specs are never what they say, and they often don't last very long. By the time you try for a warranty claim, that bulb is no longer made.

2. Dimming - it's often poor even when using an "approved dimmer" on the box. Flicker, "popcorn startup" (bulbs go on in different intervals). Plus, they do NOT dim-to-warm like incandescents do.

3. Color shift over time - some of your 3000K bulbs may shift to 3500K or even 4000K after only half a year.

The best part of consumer-grade LEDs are:

1. The "Lighting Facts" label - this label is not regulated or audited in any way, it's voluntary on the manufacturer's side but it does help with CCT & CRI

2. In a room such as a kid's playroom, it saves loads of money if for example you had 8 x 100W incandescent bulbs on 12 hours a day.

3. Most of them will last long, for example landscape lighting and recessed ceiling lights.
    Last edited by NiceGuyEddie; 04-18-2023 at 11:37 AM.