FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Help for very tall guy who wants a gen 3 type 65 coupe

Post Thanks / Like

Help for very tall guy who wants a gen 3 type 65 coupe

Hi All, I am totally new to the forum. I am 6 ft 8 inches tall (38 inch inseam) with a slim build at 230 lb. I would love to hear from you all and especially those who are tall with a Gen 3 type 65 as to what you have done to make it comfortable to drive for someone my height. I really like how the FAQ section on the FFR website addresses this to some degree with suggestions on considering a different seat option then the standard coupe seat so that I can sit lower and further back. Also the Wildwood pedal box with the complete kit can be optimized for more room. They also recommend to consider using a small block engine over a 4.6L or 5.0L Coyote engine but I would still like the option of using a Coyote if possible. I previously had a 2004 Le Mans Z06 Corvette which I fit well into as a size comparison. Hoping that all of you can share your experience or have any additional ideas. I live in Agoura Hills CA so it would be great if there was someone close by that has a Gen 3 Type 65 that I can actually physically see and sit in! Thanks again for all your help. Cheers, Rhodes

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow 6 ft 8 in. Rhodes I don`t think you are going to fit in one. i am building a gen 3 and have the Kirkey seat with adjusters installed. Although I am 5 ft 9 In and have no problem I have family members who are 6Ft 3 in and I think they are at the limit with a head height at the roll bar level. Not sure if a helmet would fit with them in the car. I think 6ft 4in is about the limit. Just as curious as you to see what others say.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobra John View Post
    Wow 6 ft 8 in. Rhodes I don`t think you are going to fit in one. i am building a gen 3 and have the Kirkey seat with adjusters installed. Although I am 5 ft 9 In and have no problem I have family members who are 6Ft 3 in and I think they are at the limit with a head height at the roll bar level. Not sure if a helmet would fit with them in the car. I think 6ft 4in is about the limit. Just as curious as you to see what others say.
    Thanks for your response Cobra John! I would like to think that there is some way that we could make it happen but we shall see. Maybe they can come out with a Gen 4 for drivers over 6'4", LOL!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah man, 6'8" just isn't doable. I'm 6'2" and my eyes are pretty much right below the roll cage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow and Slightly Angry View Post
    Yeah man, 6'8" just isn't doable. I'm 6'2" and my eyes are pretty much right below the roll cage.
    Yup, same here.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm right at 6 feet tall, and I think I barely fit! I can't imagine 6'8"..... I have NO idea how you'd get in and out either. It's a challenge even with a removable steering wheel!
    there's several people in the LA area with coupes thought. I'm sure someone would let you take a look.

RR

Post Thanks / Like
    Gurney Bubble !
    No but with some seriousness. Just because it hasn't been done doesn't mean it can't be. World was built on people taking chances. Looking back on race history with Dan Gurney and the GT40 working with fabricators to enlarge the roof with the "Gurney Bubble" for his 6'4" frame. There are many problems that only money can resolve. Modifying a frame and maybe fiberglass chassis to add length. Footbox and peddle issues for larger feet. Steering Column or shifter positions. I think I remember a YouTube video of Dave Smith modifying one for his College Buddy who was tall. It may not be the norm but maybe they would consider it for the right $$$. Call them up ask them how much to custom build you a frame and chassis. Lastly maybe take a trip to the factory five site and see if they let you squeeze in their Type 65 coupe and see what your working with.

Post Thanks / Like
    You should see is you can sit in one in your local area. and while you are look at it see what can be expanded to fit your needs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PointmanUSMC View Post
    Gurney Bubble !
    No but with some seriousness. Just because it hasn't been done doesn't mean it can't be. World was built on people taking chances. Looking back on race history with Dan Gurney and the GT40 working with fabricators to enlarge the roof with the "Gurney Bubble" for his 6'4" frame. There are many problems that only money can resolve. Modifying a frame and maybe fiberglass chassis to add length. Footbox and peddle issues for larger feet. Steering Column or shifter positions. I think I remember a YouTube video of Dave Smith modifying one for his College Buddy who was tall. It may not be the norm but maybe they would consider it for the right $$$. Call them up ask them how much to custom build you a frame and chassis. Lastly maybe take a trip to the factory five site and see if they let you squeeze in their Type 65 coupe and see what you’re working with.
    . I greatly appreciate your response. I am sure there has to be a way to make it work without it looking like a freak vehicle. I will be considering all options. I will also be realistic and recognize that if untenable I will move onto a different project. I have a 69 bronco, which I really enjoy off Roading, which does fit me well! I have included a few pictures of this for fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chmhasy View Post
    You should see is you can sit in one in your local area. and while you are look at it see what can be expanded to fit your needs.
    Totally agree. Anyone live near me in the Los Angeles area that I can connect with? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Another option could be the drop seat mod that used to be done in the previous generations of coupe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by narkosys View Post
    Another option could be the drop seat mod that used to be done in the previous generations of coupe.
    Don't think that's practical. The cockpit floor sits directly on the main chassis frame that at ride height (at least on mine) is only a few inches off the ground.

To the OP, seats are where it's at. I'd be cautious about drawing much of a conclusion from other builds unless they have the same seats you would use. It makes a huge difference. The prototype, which I saw in person in Wareham when it was introduced, had Kirkey racing seats mounted directly on the floor and all the way back against the back wall. With no padding. Pretty sure that's the one they still have in the showroom and maybe it's still set up the same way. When I sat it in, I was directly looking through the steering wheel and barely over the dash. Granted, I'm only 5'9", but it has a lot of space. Don't know if your height is going to work, but not set up any differently than that. There's a little bit of wiggle room to adjust the Wilwood pedal box and lower the pedals. And I've heard of some who have raised the steering column at the dash. At the very least you'd want a quick release steering wheel. Which I have and even at my height helps. Gurney bubble? Now there's an interesting thought.
    Last edited by edwardb; 04-07-2023 at 04:05 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Don't think that's practical. The cockpit floor sits directly on the main chassis frame that at ride height (at least on mine) is only a few inches off the ground.

To the OP, seats are where it's at. I'd be cautious about drawing much of a conclusion from other builds unless they have the same seats you would use. It makes a huge difference. The prototype, which I saw in person in Wareham when it was introduced, had Kirkey racing seats mounted directly on the floor and all the way back against the back wall. With no padding. Pretty sure that's the one they still have in the showroom and maybe it's still set up the same way. When I sat it in, I was directly looking through the steering wheel and barely over the dash. Granted, I'm only 5'9", but it has a lot of space. Don't know if your height is going to work, but not set up any differently than that. There's a little bit of wiggle room to adjust the Wilwood pedal box and lower the pedals. And I've heard of some who have raised the steering column at the dash. At the very least you'd want a quick release steering wheel. Which I have and even at my height helps. Gurney bubble? Now there's and interesting thought.
    Thanks for the great information! Sounds like I will eventually need to make a trip to see it in the showroom if still present and to start working out a compound solution.

Post Thanks / Like
    Once your in is only half of the issue. Getting in and out is the other half. I'm 5'-8". Once I'm in I have plenty of room but at 70 it is a challenge getting in and out.
    Scott Pregont
    Present build: 65 Daytona Coupe #393 - Forte 427 EFI crate w/TKX 2.87/ .81 - Ordered 11/16/21 - Delivered 6/23/2022
    Build Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...na-Coupe-build
    My Albums
    Special Tools, Custom Parts, misc supplies: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2045
    Garage Pics: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2041
    POR15 First Try: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2068
    Silicone application tips: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2063

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Namrups View Post
    Once your in is only half of the issue. Getting in and out is the other half. I'm 5'-8". Once I'm in I have plenty of room but at 70 it is a challenge getting in and out.
    Good point! All the more reason for me to continue yoga!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I would guess your best bet is the optional Kirkey High Back Race seats, bolted straight to the floor. There is very little padding on the bottom of the seat, so you are pretty much sitting on the floor.. I'm ~6'3", i am using these seats bolted to the floor with no brackets and i fit fine even with a helmet.

FFR has Type 65 R in their showroom with these seats, so i would suggest trying it out yourself. With your height getting in the Type 65 is another issue altogether

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by nick729 View Post
    I would guess your best bet is the optional Kirkey High Back Race seats, bolted straight to the floor. There is very little padding on the bottom of the seat, so you are pretty much sitting on the floor.. I'm ~6'3", i am using these seats bolted to the floor with no brackets and i fit fine even with a helmet.

FFR has Type 65 R in their showroom with these seats, so i would suggest trying it out yourself. With your height getting in the Type 65 is another issue altogether
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Just measured, i have ~4" clearance to the roof, so unless all of the extra 5-6" is in your upper body you should probably be ok heightwise

Post Thanks / Like
    The Kirkey high backs just exacerbate the entry and exit difficulty. Kirkey low backs are the best bet for tall guys without complicating entry and exit.

Jeff

20. Thanks David Hodgkins thanked for this post
    Likes Erik W. Treves liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks! I am pretty evenly portioned so that is encouraging news!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    The Kirkey high backs just exacerbate the entry and exit difficulty. Kirkey low backs are the best bet for tall guys without complicating entry and exit.

Jeff
    Thanks Jeff!

Post Thanks / Like
    I am just over 6'3" tall @ 210 pounds with a 36" inseam. In the default seats shipped with the kit I have about 3" of headroom and plenty of legroom. Foot space is a bit tight, side to side, with my size 12 shoes.
    My Type 65 Coupe: Ordered May 27, 2021. Arrived November 19, 2021.
    I would like to treat my gas pedal as a binary operator. It would be nice to get the cooperation of everyone in front of me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Skuzzy View Post
    I am just over 6'3" tall @ 210 pounds with a 36" inseam. In the default seats shipped with the kit I have about 3" of headroom and plenty of legroom. Foot space is a bit tight, side to side, with my size 12 shoes.
    Thanks Skuzzy! Your information is very helpful! The fact that you are able to fit in using the default seats shipped with the kit and still have 3" of headroom and plenty of legroom is really encouraging. I am making a list of the numerous modifications and tweaks that I can do to give me that extra room. Also, for a 6 ft 8 guy I have relatively small feet wearing 13" shoes. Necessity is definitely the mother of invention and I think I will eventually find the right combination to make this a reality. If I am able to make it work then I do not have to worry about someone stealing it because no one else will be able to drive it LOL! My wife has been hoping that I would not find a solution and would settle for a more “practical” sports car. Eventually I will need to break the “bad news” to her!

Post Thanks / Like
    My 6 ft 3 son fits in mine easily with room to spare. I find most people have a hard time getting in and out of the car, you need to be flexible and there is a technique that you will develop.
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004
    Gen 3 coupe #16 registered 2018 painted 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Thinking outside the box have you thought about the Spyder. I'm 6-1" and 270. Getting in and out is a breeze and my legs are stretched out straight.Spyder grant 2.jpg
    " The journey is the reward" Chinese Proverb
    FFR Roadster #5380
    FFR Spyder GT #030

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 7tvette View Post
    Thinking outside the box have you thought about the Spyder. I'm 6-1" and 270. Getting in and out is a breeze and my legs are stretched out straight.Spyder grant 2.jpg
    The only problem with that is they have been out of production for almost 20 years

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't see any way you're going to get in and out of it. At 5-9 its s struggle for me.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    In reviewing old posts on FFR I came upon a series of posts from 2021 which were really informative regarding this very same topic. One of the members named Gringo had the following post below which is very encouraging to me since I am just an inch taller, have the same 13 in feet and I weigh less. I have sent Gringo a personal message so hopefully he will respond to discuss his build.

04-05-2021, 02:01 PM#37
    Gringo
    Post Thanks / Like
    I"m 6'7" 235.
    At 78 years young I fit in my gen 3 Coupe very well.
    I would recommend the removable steering wheel.
    My biggest (no pun?) issue is my size 13 feet. I have to drive with shoes removed.

I reviewed some of the old posts in FFR going back several years. Below is a summary of the ideas that have been discussed in all of the posts regarding this topic of the Type 65 accommodating a tall driver. Please feel free to add any additional ideas that you have or comments on the below list:
    -Use narrow racing shoes. (I already have narrow racing shoes that I used when I would took my Le Mans corvette to the track.
    -Seat selection: Kirkey bolted straight to the floor. I will definitely need to physically try out the specific seats. Possibly get a Kirkey that is adjustable and slightly decrease the leg room to allow adjustment of the back to lower my height. I want to do significant track time so I need to make sure there is at least some comfort to the seat to avoid excess fatigue. Projoe mentioned using “the Kirkey 55 series drag racing seat despite having no desire to drag race (the complete opposite actually, HPDE/track/drift).it's perfect. it's large enough to be very comfortable, allows me to put the seat completely on the floor to preserve headroom for noggin and helmet clearance, and didn't break the bank.” Shows me that I will need to really dial in the perfect seat selection for my intended use of the vehicle (80% road, 20% track) and my body. I need room for a helmet and safety.
    -Quick release steering wheel.
    -Optimize the Wildwood pedal box with the complete kit to maximize room.
    - Consider raising the steering column at the dash.
    -Definitely practice getting in and out of the car. I am actually very flexible with weekly yoga and I am planning on dropping my weight down to my previous 220 lbs. At 6’8” I am actually very slim!
    -Edwardb noted that for the Gen 3 coupe, the sheet metal is the same regardless of engine choice and that it already has decent foot space, better than the roadster which is a result of not having those big 4” chassis tubes. I am hoping that this means that I can still consider the option of the Coyote engine over a small block.
    -PointmanUSMC commented that he thinks he remembers seeing a YouTube video of Dave Smith modifying one for his college buddy who was tall. Does anyone have the link for that YouTube video for me to review?
    -I will definitely be reaching out specifically to FFR to discuss my issue and tentative plan. I am sure they have been down this road many a time with other tall clients. Will broach the subject of whether they would consider a custom build of a frame and chassis and if so (and if necessary) what would the cost be? Also consider traveling directly to the factory to review all of the details and physically sit in their prototypes and engage in “out of the box” thinking.
    -Is there anyone in the Los Angeles area with a Type 65 who would be willing to have me come over to see it? I am planning on researching local car gatherings that will have FFRs and possibly Type 65’s present.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rhodesbennett View Post
    -Edwardb noted that for the Gen 3 coupe, the sheet metal is the same regardless of engine choice and that it already has decent foot space, better than the roadster which is a result of not having those big 4” chassis tubes. I am hoping that this means that I can still consider the option of the Coyote engine over a small block.
    Just to confirm, no difference in interior space based on the engine you choose. A Coyote, if that's what you want, is completely doable with no space penalty.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Just to confirm, no difference in interior space based on the engine you choose. A Coyote, if that's what you want, is completely doable with no space penalty.
    Thanks Edwardb!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Skuzzy. I am 6'4" and just received the build a month ago. Do you mind sending a photo of how the seats are bolted directly to the floor. Glad im not the only tall guy driving a 65 Coupe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jrsweet View Post
    Hello Skuzzy. I am 6'4" and just received the build a month ago. Do you mind sending a photo of how the seats are bolted directly to the floor. Glad im not the only tall guy driving a 65 Coupe.
    I did not bolt them directly to the floor. I was just testing my fit to see how much room I had for a slider. I went with the low profile slider brackets from Breeze. Still have plenty of headroom. Enough that I am making a hard headliner for mounting the overhead console, and cover the defroster ducts I routed through the roof from the A/C unit behind the seats.

It is all apart, at the moment, so I can make some other modifications.
    Last edited by Skuzzy; 03-17-2024 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Typos, of course.
    My Type 65 Coupe: Ordered May 27, 2021. Arrived November 19, 2021.
    I would like to treat my gas pedal as a binary operator. It would be nice to get the cooperation of everyone in front of me.