BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  18
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Coyote Gen3 rough idle at start then smooth

25th Anniversary #9772 toadster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    got a PO356 code back from Lund, I somehow missed this but it's an ignition coil circuit code for cylinder number 6. Of which is on bank 2

A vehicle’s PCM could log a P0356 code for a handful of reasons:

The (COP) could simply be faulty
    Coil #6 could have a loose connection
    Coil #6’s connector locks could be broken
    The COP driver circuit is open
    The COP driver circuit has a short to voltage or is ground
    Todd
    25th Anniversary MkIV | #20 of 25 | Build #9772
    https://cobradreams.com/ <- my build!

Post Thanks / Like
    That plug insulator looks awfully carbonised. Swap your plugs to opposite banks and see if the fault follows.

Nige
    Last edited by Nigel Allen; 04-28-2023 at 05:30 PM.
    Mk.4 FFR supplied Right hand drive
    Received 12/2012 completed 12/2019
    Gen1 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS
    Lots of mods to make compliant for Australian design rules

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Allen View Post
    That plug insulator looks awfully carbonised. Swap your plugs to opposite banks and see if the fault follows.

Nige
    pulled Plug #1 from bank #1 looks dark like #6 but less oily for sure, we're checking the main grounds and swapping coil pack #6 and #1 to see if there's a bad coil

IMG_7812.jpg
    Todd

4. Likes Ted G liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Measuring resistance to look for bad grounds in vehicles is not easy and often leads to erroneous measurements which will take you down rabbit holes. A simpler and more solid way is to measure volt drop when a load is applied. Let's use the starter motor as the load.
    With your meter set to DC volts, manual range. Apply one meter probe to your negative battery terminal and the other to your engine block. Observe meter reading whilst cranking, it should be less than 1volt. Any higher than that, and you have excessive resistance in your ground path.
    Now repeat for positive path. Apply one meter probe to the positive battery terminal and other to starter positive terminal. Crank and measure volt drop on meter whilst cranking. Also should be less than a volt.
    Make sure you measure to the terminals, that way you are also including the final connections in your measurements.

Let me know if you need further explanation or interpretation of measurement.

Best of Aussie luck to you. The quality of the coyote engine makes me feel that you will get there sooner than later.

As an aside, I found Lund a little blunt to deal with. Maybe the guy I dealt with was jaded, but I paid over a $1,000 Australian for a support guy that told me I was a wimp for not wanting to take car full load to 6500rpm. We had an unseasonably wet and cold winter and I was having traction issues at 60mph. I got there in the end using a dyno. Also he struggled with our fuel ratings here and in the end put what seems a very doughy tune in. It runs great otherwise. My takeaway is that Lund feel that they are the top dog. My advice is to keep the pressure on if they don't support you well.

Next time, I will use my local dyno. Those guys were great and super keen to help. Like I said, maybe I got the wrong guy, so hopefully your experience and others will be better.

Cheers,

Nige

PS: that spark plug looks bad enough not to fire on a cold engine.

Post Thanks / Like
    swapped coils around, I cleaned the whole driver side bank of plugs - surprisingly serviceable (albeit no body on) - still getting the plug#6 misfire

Lund is suggesting maybe the harness is bad... I'd much rather replace a plug first, but I wouldn't think and engine running less than 15 minutes total would foul a plug - maybe just a bad plug out of the box?
    we did replaced the power wire to the driver side to ensure the wire is the correct size, we had ~14ga wire in line and swapped out to 16ga which looks to match the rest in the loom.

does anyone have the pinout/schematic of the UEGO sensor wires? thinking maybe we have a bad solder joint in our extensions but would like to understand what each wire is first to tackle
    Todd

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by toadster View Post
    swapped coils around, I cleaned the whole driver side bank of plugs - surprisingly serviceable (albeit no body on) - still getting the plug#6 misfire

Lund is suggesting maybe the harness is bad... I'd much rather replace a plug first, but I wouldn't think and engine running less than 15 minutes total would foul a plug - maybe just a bad plug out of the box?
    we did replaced the power wire to the driver side to ensure the wire is the correct size, we had ~14ga wire in line and swapped out to 16ga which looks to match the rest in the loom.

does anyone have the pinout/schematic of the UEGO sensor wires? thinking maybe we have a bad solder joint in our extensions but would like to understand what each wire is first to tackle
    https://performanceparts.ford.com/do...-6017-M50B.PDF

Scroll to bottom and it has pinout for those connectors.
    MK4 Complete Kit #10315 / Coyote G3 / TKX / 427 HardTop
    Build Thread Production Date: 2/26/22, Registered 5/19/22, Graduated 3/1/2023

Post Thanks / Like
    Change the plugs. A fouled plug on #6 might be causing the problem. The plugs look bad and may have been fouled excessively when running with exhaust sensing reversed.
    Although my coyote is gen1, I found myself with rough running after multiple cold starts when testing. This was before and after Lund tune.

Post Thanks / Like
    On the gen1 loom there is an inline fuse that feeds the exhaust sensors (heaters, maybe?) Not sure if that is case for yours... Might be worth following up.

Best of luck,

Nige

Post Thanks / Like
    Change the plugs. A fouled plug on #6 might be causing the problem. The plugs look bad and may have been fouled excessively when running with exhaust sensing reversed.
    Although my coyote is gen1, I found myself with rough running after multiple cold starts when testing. This was before and after Lund tune.
    I don't think he had his sensors reversed - I get to take credit for that one!

Post Thanks / Like
    On the gen1 loom there is an inline fuse that feeds the exhaust sensors (heaters, maybe?) Not sure if that is case for yours... Might be worth following up.

Best of luck,

Nige
    we checked all fuses, nothing was bad, but we did check - thank you

Quote Originally Posted by JeffP View Post
    https://performanceparts.ford.com/do...-6017-M50B.PDF

Scroll to bottom and it has pinout for those connectors.
    perfect - this will help with troubleshooting, the Bank2 (driver) O2 is pegged at 1.5, super rich, we're thinking it may be wire extensions so we'll redo these -
    we swapped o2 sensors side to side, and the problem stayed on the driver side, I cleaned all 4 plugs on the driver side, wire brush and WD-40 (believe it or not) but they may be too cruddy...

the numbers on the right (below) came from Ford for the pinout of the ECU connectors

UEGO-driver-bank2.png

I don't think he had his sensors reversed - I get to take credit for that one!
    yep! we even chatted with Ford Performance to verify the color of the wires per bank and we have the correct wires on the correct side as we had removed the labels marking the bank1 and bank2 sides - so we're good there

since the passenger side is so short, we shortened that run to not have the wires loop 1/2 way across the engine and come back - so it's a short extension to the O2 connector, the red wire was extended from the C146 plug over to the driver side, about 3.5-4 feet, and the other 4 lines were extended about 15 inches each.

we tested continuity and all 5 wires are fine, I'm wondering if the solder joints are creating resistance that is not reaching the ECU and thereby pegging the O2 sensor to flood the driver side with fuel
    Last edited by toadster; 05-02-2023 at 12:36 AM.
    Todd

Post Thanks / Like
    ...I'm wondering if the solder joints are creating resistance that is not reaching the ECU and thereby pegging the O2 sensor to flood the driver side with fuel
    The Ford Performance directions say to not modify the O2 sensor harnesses. But with the standard lengths delivered on both Gen 2 and Gen 2, you are left with either modifying them or adding purchased extensions. I've cut and soldered the O2 harness wires on both of my Coyote builds with no issues whatsoever. Note I said harness and not the wires in the pigtail between the sensor and the plug. That has special insulation and wire that isn't friendly to work with (ask me how I know) and should be left alone. As long as you have good connections on the splices you did there shouldn't be an issue. It's just standard hook-up wire and the small amount of solder shouldn't matter. It hasn't for me.

I agree with the post Jeff Kleiner made earlier. It's likely your O2 sensors are reacting to another problem. As opposed to them being the problem itself. Especially since you aren't getting specific O2 sensor DTC's. They could fail completely or even be removed and the engine should still run on all cylinders. Albeit poorly and maybe even go into limp mode. Same with fouled plugs. The Coyote (like all modern engines) has a hot ignition system that can fire through most plug situations. The maintenance cycle on them is 100K miles. Again, the fouled plug(s) IMO is a symptom of another issue but not the issue itself.

Something else is wrong IMO. Has Ford Performance suggested the possibility of re-flashing your PCM? More than one problem has been solved by that step. That used to be a pretty standard go-to when everything else seemed OK. Has happened to me once. It would wipe out your Lund tune. But just re-load it again.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Agree with Paul and Jeff on this one that the o2 is more of a symptom. Given I had mine reversed for 1000mi and (at least after initial startup) the car ran perfectly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    The Ford Performance directions say to not modify the O2 sensor harnesses. But with the standard lengths delivered on both Gen 2 and Gen 2, you are left with either modifying them or adding purchased extensions. I've cut and soldered the O2 harness wires on both of my Coyote builds with no issues whatsoever. Note I said harness and not the wires in the pigtail between the sensor and the plug. That has special insulation and wire that isn't friendly to work with (ask me how I know) and should be left alone. As long as you have good connections on the splices you did there shouldn't be an issue. It's just standard hook-up wire and the small amount of solder shouldn't matter. It hasn't for me.

I agree with the post Jeff Kleiner made earlier. It's likely your O2 sensors are reacting to another problem. As opposed to them being the problem itself. Especially since you aren't getting specific O2 sensor DTC's. They could fail completely or even be removed and the engine should still run on all cylinders. Albeit poorly and maybe even go into limp mode. Same with fouled plugs. The Coyote (like all modern engines) has a hot ignition system that can fire through most plug situations. The maintenance cycle on them is 100K miles. Again, the fouled plug(s) IMO is a symptom of another issue but not the issue itself.

Something else is wrong IMO. Has Ford Performance suggested the possibility of re-flashing your PCM? More than one problem has been solved by that step. That used to be a pretty standard go-to when everything else seemed OK. Has happened to me once. It would wipe out your Lund tune. But just re-load it again.
    Agree with Paul and Jeff on this one that the o2 is more of a symptom. Given I had mine reversed for 1000mi and (at least after initial startup) the car ran perfectly.

agreed, since we have continuity in wires and driver side is always pegged rich, I'm talking to Ford to get the PCM reflashed

ordered 8 new plugs as well, relatively cheap in the grand scheme of things... Ford was pretty stumped as to why Bank2 wouldn't fire properly

the only things I've found online in regard to this issue is a plugged catalytic converter, of which I have them in the headers, but we're feeling airflow, just not hot like the passenger side
    knowing my luck somehow JetHot melted or damaged the media when coating these headers (and/or) the rich fuel mixture could have done it as well...

pretty frustrating as we've never even run this engine hot enough to get the fans to kick in - we've only achieved about 126F on the coyote temp meter

thanks all for your inputs, what seemed to be a simple crate motor setup has become quite frustrating...
    Last edited by toadster; 05-02-2023 at 01:25 PM.
    Todd

Post Thanks / Like
    Would a noid light help in seeing what is doing what?
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Railroad View Post
    Would a noid light help in seeing what is doing what?
    I rented one yesterday, haven't had a chance to test it yet
    Todd

Post Thanks / Like
    What happens if you unplug the driver side sensor, then start the engine?
    Could it be that because the sensor is reading rich, that fuel is not being injected on that bank?

Apologies if you have already tried this.

Cheers, Nige

Post Thanks / Like
    What happens if you unplug the driver side sensor, then start the engine?
    Could it be that because the sensor is reading rich, that fuel is not being injected on that bank?

Apologies if you have already tried this.

Cheers, Nige
    just tried this - unplugged the O2 sensor on the driver side, same symptoms as with it plugged in
    even swapped the #6 and #1 plugs to see if it was a fouled plug, same issues...

I tried the noid lights but couldnt' get any of the adapters to fit the coyote plug wire feeds, may try rigging up some aligator clips and pins to try to hook them up but none were a direct fit
    Todd

Post Thanks / Like
    They make a hand held noid light. It looks like a screw driver with a paddle on the end. You can hold it near the wire or device you are checking. No connecting or disconnecting.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Railroad View Post
    They make a hand held noid light. It looks like a screw driver with a paddle on the end. You can hold it near the wire or device you are checking. No connecting or disconnecting.
    I'll have to check those out, found them in some searches too - not too pricey...
    something dawned on me last night

I removed my CMCVs from the back of the Coyote, and there are 3 connectors inline on the way to bank 2 behind the back of the engine
    I have a query out to Ford on this as well, but do these connections help to ground Bank 2?

cmcv-removal.png Screenshot 2023-05-04 072929.png

if I created a ground gap, then it would affect all spark on the driver side... of course, I think I tossed the whole setup so I'd need a new solenoid ~$25
    Todd

21. Likes Ted G liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    spent the better part of today testing continuity and resistance on about 40 ECU wires - the harness looks to be working, tested connectivity to each coil pack and ground, and each injector and ground

can't test the coil packs - the online stuff I've seen is for all older 4.6/5.4 engines

I have one of the flyswatter noid lights coming tomorrow to verify spark activity -most likely will ship the ECU in monday to ford
    Todd

Post Thanks / Like
    If you want to check a coil, just pull it out and put a spare spark plug in it. Start the engine and see if it is firing. Takes about 30 seconds. I found I had a dead coil this way. Ford sent me a replacement.
    John
    Gen 3 Coupe #334 received 11/4/21. Coyote, IRS, TKX, Wilwoods
    '02 GT donor, 4.6 sohc, Received #5488 on 5/29/06. 3-link, ps, pb. Hoosier Cobra member (Hoosiercobra.com)

Post Thanks / Like
    Todd,
    Noid light will only tell you that you’re sending an electrical signal to a coil but won’t tell you that it’s actually working. Do what John said above and you’ll have your answer.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Indy Shu View Post
    If you want to check a coil, just pull it out and put a spare spark plug in it. Start the engine and see if it is firing. Takes about 30 seconds. I found I had a dead coil this way. Ford sent me a replacement.
    yep going to do this today as well

i'm getting pretty good with this 8mm socket (haha)
    Todd

Post Thanks / Like
    tested the noid light, all COP firing, cylinder #4 seemed to be double speed firing
    also tested each coil with an arc test, all 8 are producing spark as well - shipped off the ECU, nothing else that we can possibly do
    Todd

Post Thanks / Like
    got the ECU back from Ford.. slightly different response

from LUND
    "It's still showing the same problem. Ignition coil F circuit, and AFR on bank 2 still max lean.
    What's really weird though is the fuel trim for that bank isn't reflecting the issue.
    The trim looks fine. If it was really that lean as AFR is showing I'd expect the fuel trim to be trending in a fashion to correct for it."

my confusion:

• we tested all 8 coils, moved them between cylinders, also move sparkplugs between cylinders - but Ignition coil F circuit is still not working properly (this is cylinder #6)
    • we also swapped O2 sensors side to side, and the problem is lambda is still pegged on bank2 which I believe may be a wiring issue? although we tested continuity and resistance

Here's the info from my log (HP Tuners OBD2), this is on the stock ECU code that was re-programmed, nothing else modified
    The P2008, P2017, P2022 are all expected as I removed the IMRC valves from the rear of the intake (the tuner can remove those issues)
    P0365 is the one that keeps showing up which is cylinder #6
    I don't remember seeing P0124 before, but is shown in this log this is a generic OBD-II code that indicates the TPS sensor circuit A output voltage goes below or above the sensor's expected range

Protocol Info: J1962: CAN, 500 kb/s

ECM: 7E8, CAN, ECM -EngineControl - TC-298, 2018+ Ford
    VIN: ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ
    User OS: FRPP9
    Calibration IDs: ÃÃÃÃÃÃÃÃÃÃÃÃÃÃÃÃ
    Calibration VNs: 79FD439B
    Basic PIDs: 44
    Trouble Codes:
    P2008 - Intake Manifold Runner Control Circuit/Open Bank 1 (Pending)
    P2017 - Intake Manifold Runner Position Sensor/Switch Circuit High Bank 1 (Pending)
    P2022 - Intake Manifold Runner Position Sensor/Switch Circuit High Bank 2 (Pending)
    P0356 - Ignition Coil F Primary/Secondary Circuit (Permanent)
    P0124 - Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor A Intermittent (Permanent)
    Controller Type ID By User OS: 12018

a bit stumped...

any ideas?

Ford is escalating to engineering...

Last edited by toadster; 05-19-2023 at 02:01 PM.
    Todd

Post Thanks / Like
    P0124 in my experience with a new engine is a false positive. Which could be the same in your case with a newly flashed ECU. Clear it and I bet it doesn't come back. After all you've been through and still the problem isn't isolated, my vote is something wrong with your harness. Another builder on here had issues he couldn't resolve with a Gen 2. After exhausting all the options, Ford Performance supplied a new harness and all good. Obviously a pain to tear out the old and replace, but that's my guess. Hopefully Ford is standing behind this because clearly it's not working as it's supposed to and seemingly there are no user errors. I feel for you. Took my Gen 3 powered Coupe for a 50 mile cruise today. Runs so perfect. Hang in there. Yours will be like that.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

29. Likes Nigel Allen, toadster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    P0124 in my experience with a new engine is a false positive. Which could be the same in your case with a newly flashed ECU. Clear it and I bet it doesn't come back. After all you've been through and still the problem isn't isolated, my vote is something wrong with your harness. Another builder on here had issues he couldn't resolve with a Gen 2. After exhausting all the options, Ford Performance supplied a new harness and all good. Obviously a pain to tear out the old and replace, but that's my guess. Hopefully Ford is standing behind this because clearly it's not working as it's supposed to and seemingly there are no user errors. I feel for you. Took my Gen 3 powered Coupe for a 50 mile cruise today. Runs so perfect. Hang in there. Yours will be like that.
    thanks Paul - this build has been a challenge for sure, but we thought the crate motor would have been 'plug-and-play' like many others, but this gremlin sure has tested our patience...
    when Ford says - I've never heard of this, that's not reassuring...

we keep pluggin away...
    Todd

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks Paul - this build has been a challenge for sure, but we thought the crate motor would have been 'plug-and-play' like many others, but this gremlin sure has tested our patience...
    when Ford says - I've never heard of this, that's not reassuring...

we keep pluggin away...
    Any update? Curious on the outcome of this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ford was out Friday and today for the holiday, will calll again tomorrow…
    Todd

Post Thanks / Like
    the main guy "Ken" at FP wasn't available today, the other tech I talked with said that extending the O2 harness would most likely screw up the O2 readings...

I did do a test over the weekend and moved the O2 harness from bank2 over to bank1 (obviously the bank1 leg is too short to extend to bank2 so I ran bank 2 open)
    Lund confirmed that the problem followed the harness, O2 shows pegged lean on bank1 when I move the harness over

not sure if we did something different, but we soldered in similar sized wire when we extended the harness - about 16 inches per wire, the red wire has a full run from the split in the harness all the way to the sensor.

I believe I may need another CM-14A006-MTRANS harness which is the O2 extension 90-pin plug, waiting to hear back from Ford

I can't find this by itself on Ford Performance's catalog, so may be a special order
    Attachment 185203

at this point I may get a new CM-14A006-MTRANS harness and buy some extenders instead of soldering, there's no way the stock harness can reach both ends of the O2 plugs in this setup
    if someone has been able to get the wires to reach without extending, I'm all ears...
    Todd

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Todd - so sorry to hear that this has been such a hassle for you. Just thought I'd share my experience in case it's helpful for you. On my first set of headers I was able to connect both O2 sensors without extending the harness (barely), but when I switched to the Gas-N headers the PS was just barely too short. Gas-N provide 12" extenders with the headers, so I used one on the PS side and it works perfectly. Hopefully using the extender vs. the soldered extension solves your problem.
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

Post Thanks / Like
    the main guy "Ken" at FP wasn't available today, the other tech I talked with said that extending the O2 harness would most likely screw up the O2 readings...

I did do a test over the weekend and moved the O2 harness from bank2 over to bank1 (obviously the bank1 leg is too short to extend to bank2 so I ran bank 2 open)
    Lund confirmed that the problem followed the harness, O2 shows pegged lean on bank1 when I move the harness over

not sure if we did something different, but we soldered in similar sized wire when we extended the harness - about 16 inches per wire, the red wire has a full run from the split in the harness all the way to the sensor.

I believe I may need another CM-14A006-MTRANS harness which is the O2 extension 90-pin plug, waiting to hear back from Ford

I can't find this by itself on Ford Performance's catalog, so may be a special order
    Attachment 185203

at this point I may get a new CM-14A006-MTRANS harness and buy some extenders instead of soldering, there's no way the stock harness can reach both ends of the O2 plugs in this setup
    if someone has been able to get the wires to reach without extending, I'm all ears...
    A bunch of us, me included, have shortened and lengthened the O2 harness wires with zero issues. I've done it on both the Gen 2 and Gen 3. I know the Ford instructions say not to. But it's plain old automotive hook-up wire up the the O2 sensor plugs. I have no idea why a properly spliced wire (several ways to do it) would be a problem. But apparently you found out. Factory made extensions are another option and some go that way. Casper's Electronics is a source I've seen mentioned. Based on a quick search, BBK is another with a number of choices. Looks like you'll have to start with a new harness leg though if testing confirms the one(s) you have can duplicate the problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ford got back to me and is talking with their electrical team to see if they can get me a new pigtail for the O2 sensors
    it's a waiting game at this point, the tech lead won't be back until at least 6/5
    Last edited by toadster; 06-02-2023 at 06:38 PM.
    Todd

37. Likes Ted G liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    well, I was travelling all week - Ford dropped a new O2 harness in the mail, should be here next Thursday... oh the waiting!

I also picked up a 24" O2 extension from Lethal Performance which may remove the need to solder any extensions
    Last edited by toadster; 06-09-2023 at 11:46 PM.
    Todd

Post Thanks / Like
    got the new o2 harness today from Ford, only peeled back the tape enough to get the o2 wires to reach, i added a 24" o2 extender which helped with the width - still will have to modify the red wires somehow to clean up the wiring it's just way too short side to side

same issue, pegged lean on the driver side

we even swapped cables side to side and the problem still exists on the driver side bank

literally driving me crazy at this point

1. ECU was reflashed by ford
    2. new o2 pigtail didn't resolve the issue

any coyote gurus with ideas?

taking the car to the painter tomorrow to get the rough in done, and I'll have some time to wait on paint but need to get this resolved!
    Todd

Post Thanks / Like
    Measure the O2 sensor heater wires to verify voltage at the heater elements.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good call. I had this happen on my build where a pin in one of the O2 extender connectors was not seated and pushed back to where contact for the heater circuit was not working. So one bank was not running properly and fortunately the shop I took the car to diagnosed the issue in about an hour. I had replaced that O2 sensor twice before figuring out the issue.
    MK4 base kit, 2004 Mach 1 donor, 4.6L DOHC, TR-3650 5-speed, narrowed stock axle with 3.55 gears and TruTrac, PS, PB, ABS, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, started 12/2011, registered 9/2014, sold 3/1/2018.
    1970 Mustang Fastback Coyote powered Boss 302 tribute. Started 10/14/16.
    Gen 3 Coupe Base Kit non-donor build. Ordered 4/5/2024 to be received August 2024.

Post Thanks / Like
    Flashing the ECU will not fix a hardware issue, if there is one within the ECU. Hopefully they operationally tested the ECU to prove all circuits operate correctly. It could be that the ECU has a pre existing hardware fault.

Is there anyone nearby that you can swap an ECU with to test?

Sorry to see you having so much pain with this issue.

Wishing you the best of luck,

Nige

Post Thanks / Like
    no clue if they tested functionality of the ECU, you'd think that would be standard procedure, but I'm assuming...

Lund is recommending trying a new o2 sensor, so $80 later and waiting for it to arrive- although the car is at the painter getting pre-fit prior to paint - so I have a week or so to wait...

no nearby ECUs that aren't already mounted - would be a PITA to pull one just for testing
    Todd

Post Thanks / Like
    just to give an update on this

I got a new O2 sensor, but doubtful that it will be useful - may just return it

the PO365 code it lends itself to a circuit issue, so Ford gave me some more testing to do; it's pretty rigorous but it's testing for voltage and resistance at the coil connector to the ECU pinout
    essentially finding a short either in the engine harness, the control pack harness, or the ECU - definitely not in the usual installation manual

hopefully i'll get up to Ken's and can do some testing to get parts shipped out when I get the chassis back...
    Last edited by toadster; 06-27-2023 at 09:15 AM.
    Todd

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast