Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Front Lisence plate

Post Thanks / Like

Front Lisence plate

have not started yet but am looking for some ideas on mounting a front lisence plate my state (requires one) , anyone got some pics or ideas.

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think If I had to I would mount it under a headlamp OEM style.
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Trick Tool Maker, Super Moderator Hankl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I think if you fab up a bracket that puts it where the bottom of the nose curves upwards going to the outside, it could look like it's just floating there, and not detract from the over all look of the Coupe.

Hank
    “If you didn’t have enough time to do it right the first time. How come you always have time to go back and do it again?” FFR1000186CP

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.

Post Thanks / Like
    My thought's..... How about as the right sun visor.?
    Chaz...

Post Thanks / Like
    Someone had mentioned a spring loaded bracket in the front opening, at speed it would drop back to allow airflow, slow down and it stands up.
    Not sure of the legality but it would keep the look clean.
    Currently not running front plate myself and it is required here, knock wood, so the above is what I am thinking.
    Good luck.
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Take a look a swiftmotorsports.com.

Post Thanks / Like
    That swiftmotorsports device is really slick. But thankfully we don't need them in Florida.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ah the only problem I see is that it's at slow speeds is when you realy need the unobstructed airflow.
    Chaz...

Post Thanks / Like
    This is a requirement in Texas as well, but people that have cars like this never permanently mount them. To get the car inspected, the simply place it on the dash or some other temporary mount in the front. Then they just remove it. The 18 year old kid doing the inspection doesn't care anyway. He will be too focused on how kick a$$ the car is.

Besides, if a police officer pulled you over and decides to ticket you for that, well lets just say you can't ever fix stupid! I would leave it off until I got busted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Technically it's required here in CA as well. I've only been stopped for it once and he just used that as an excuse to check out the car. He didn't write me up and didn't seem to really care. Initially I told him I was having a hard time developing a bracket that would still allow the tilt front end to open. He asked me to show him and then we talked about the car for 15 minutes.
    It's never too early to start beefing up your obituary.

Post Thanks / Like
    Also in California, when I took my car to the CHP (Police) for it's part in the inspection I asked him what he thought I should do about the front plate.

He said "On a car like this I wouldn't bother, I doubt anybody will bother you -- they would have to be a total a$$ to give you a ticket."

And here, if you do get a ticket you have 30 days to fix it and show proof, then there's no fine. Seemed like no risk to me, so I've skipped it and so far so good.

Yes, I built this replica South Dakobra's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Required in South Dakota also, but a number of us seem to get by.
    I guess they are not going to get us mixed up.
    If I need to put one on. I'd use this one. Pass inspection, then it would unexplainably fall off.
    http://www.replicaparts.com/
    FFR5109 purchased in 2004, on the road since 2007.

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    It's my understanding here in Calif. that if the car didn't originally have one then it's not required.

Also when I ordered my personalized plates they asked me if I wanted one or two so take that for what it's worth. :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been thinking about dragging my front license plate bend my car for a week or so then throwing it the back. Then if I get stopped by a cop I just pull out the plate and tell him it fell off.
    Chris
    If it's too LOUD....you're too OLD!!

Build Site >> http://www.flickr.com/photos/51103049@N00/collections/

FFR#0441CP Complete Coupe kit, IRS, T-5, 392ci 351W, Webers, Delivered 4/29/09

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's my understanding here in Calif. that if the car didn't originally have one then it's not required.

Also when I ordered my personalized plates they asked me if I wanted one or two so take that for what it's worth. :-)
    Actually, front and rear license plates have been required in CA since back in the '50's. I don't have one on our Roadster and I figure its just a matter of time before I get stopped for not having one. When that happens, I guess I'll have to deal with it.

Ray

"5200. (a) When two license plates are issued by the department for use upon a vehicle, they shall be attached to the vehicle for which they were issued, one in the front and the other in the rear.
    (b) When only one license plate is issued for use upon a vehicle, it shall be attached to the rear thereof, unless the license plate is issued for use upon a truck tractor, in which case the license plate shall be displayed in accordance with Section 4850.5.

5201. License plates shall at all times be securely fastened to the vehicle for which they are issued so as to prevent the plates from swinging, shall be mounted in a position so as to be clearly visible, and so that the characters are upright and display from left to right, and shall be maintained in a condition so as to be clearly
    legible."
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    check out the pictures in reply 10 off this thread.
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...t-rear-spoiler
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

Trick Tool Maker, Super Moderator Hankl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    This is from post 10, look just inside the nose intake.

Hank
    “If you didn’t have enough time to do it right the first time. How come you always have time to go back and do it again?” FFR1000186CP

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Another completed car:

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes looked at that but is there a problem with air restriction?

Post Thanks / Like
    Only one way to find out.......
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

Post Thanks / Like
    Check with your local DMV ask them are you required to run a front license plate if the vehicle doesnt have a plate bracket. Here in Texas its required to have a plate in the front and rear but if theres no bracket on the front to mount the plate you dont have to have a front plate. Since the coupes are based off a vehicle that never had a bracket for the front and theres been alot of cars built commercially by the auto industry that didnt have front brackets, you should be able to run just rear license plates with no issues.

As far as the comment about inspectors overlooking it, state inspection (as far as Texas goes) is not required to check a car for front and rear license plates. We see if the car has plates on it or not if theres not one plate on it we tell the state through the computer the vehicle has no plates. If it has one plate we list the type of plate and the number, we save alot of time by just scanning the bar code on the registration sticker. When you scan the registration sticker it puts the vin number into the computer as well as the license number, not to mention the plate number is printed on the sticker as well so theres no real reason why you should be hassled for not having a front license plate during inspection or while driving.
    -Owned
    '56 Ford Fairlane Town Sedan, '63 Chevrolet Belair, '78 Mercury Cougar XR-7, '82 F150 Flareside

-Wish List
    FFR Type 65 Coupe

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    One of the vendors on FFCars has this front plate bracket for the Roadster (http://www.replicaparts.com/front%20plate%20page.htm) It might be possible to modify this for the Coupe.

Ray

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a perforated vinyl copy made of my plate and stuck as low as possible on the radiator. Only 3 inches or so is on the rad the rest just hangs their. I have been stopped twice for a front plate and was okayed. First of all they don't reach in to find out it is vinyl because they will get their knees dirty and after that it gives them a out because it does have a front plate. One state officer said " That is not a very good place for a plate" and I said " I agree but thats where they put them". Like he has seen another 5 coupes to prove me wrong.
    Half the battle is to have something to let them off the hook but 99% of them won't even stop you, it is just that 1%.
    Roy
    Coupe # 181, Spectra blue/Cosmic silver stripes with meatball, 347/425, TKO 600, IRS, PSE 17" pin drives with 275F/335R. a driver, 24,000 miles in 4 summers.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    You might want to read through this thread on FFCars (http://www.ffcars.com/forums/21-ffr-...ytona-fan.html) Jack got tagged for no front plate, altered plate and too loud.

Ray

Post Thanks / Like
    i forget the maker but theres a company that makes kits that when you hit the switch they fold up to be hiden

Post Thanks / Like
    swiftmotorsports.com they make one