Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Interfacing to CANbus on Coyote engine using Arduino - My winter project

Post Thanks / Like

Interfacing to CANbus on Coyote engine using Arduino - My winter project

G’day all,

Just wondering if there is anyone on the forum with CANbus / Arduino experience? I have a project for my Roadster where I would like to build a ‘watchdog’ for my Gen1 Coyote. Basically I would like to build an Arduino based device with a CANbus shield to interface to the Coyote CAN.

The ultimate plan is to be able to monitor oil pressure, coolant temp, battery volts to trigger a relay when thresholds are exceeded. This relay would bring up an indicator / alarm on the dash.
    In addition, there is no output on the Gen1 ECM to trigger a MIL indicator. At the moment I plug in a handheld reader to check for MIL / faults. Some research shows that there is a bit that is toggled for the MIL. On my reader is has a MIL indication LED.

Although competent in electrical / electronic control systems, I am not knowledgeable in Arduino programming. I have a couple of friends who are, albeit not in interfacing to CANbus. I sourced an Arduino and CAN shield. We did some basic experimentation, but were unable to successfully read the stream of data from the ECM. It just seemed to be gibberish.

I would be truly grateful if anyone on the forum could help me at least to get an Arduino to successfully read the CAN or point me in a solid direction. Will send Aussie care package of quality beers (Not Fosters)

Many thanks,

Nige
    Mk.4 FFR supplied Right hand drive
    Received 12/2012 completed 12/2019
    Gen1 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS
    Lots of mods to make compliant for Australian design rules

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting project. Here is a article I found that may or may not be useful.

https://www.autosportlabs.com/revers...-wheel-speeds/

Please keep posting as your effort continues. I am a retired electrical engineer, and if my car were running, I could get into the CANBus decoding as well.
    MK4 base kit, 2004 Mach 1 donor, 4.6L DOHC, TR-3650 5-speed, narrowed stock axle with 3.55 gears and TruTrac, PS, PB, ABS, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, started 12/2011, registered 9/2014, sold 3/1/2018.
    1970 Mustang Fastback Coyote powered Boss 302 tribute. Started 10/14/16.
    Gen 3 Coupe Base Kit non-donor build. Ordered 4/5/2024 to be received August 2024.