Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  12

Thread: Az 33 ev

Post Thanks / Like

Az 33 ev

2023-05-17 09.48.26.jpg

It's time, the kit is here. The parts inventory has been done. Now with the engineering and support from Brad , I too will be installing a Tesla Model 3 rear motor. We have a long weekend ahead to get a start on it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Likes RoadRacer, JimLev, FF33rod, theidlemind liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Have fun! Brad will be a great help to you. He's done all the engineering already.
    33 Hot Rod Stage 1, Gen.2 ordered 11/11/2021 started June 12, 2022, LS3 E-Rod crate engine, Tremec TKX, 8.8 WITH 3.55 Ratio and limited slip with 31 spline axles.17X8 and18x10 Race Star wheels wrapped in Conti Extreme contact DWS tires, Mustang Cobra brakes all around. Electric PS and AC. Hard top, electric windows and bike fenders. First Start 5/31/2023. Go-Kart 6/2/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank You, I am looking forward to it. Here is where I am as of Monday afternoon. I have the four link suspension brackets cut off and the welds ground down and cleaned up. It was a little bit of work cutting these off and being careful not to cut the parts that stayed on.2023-05-29 15.19.12.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    My apologizes, not sure why the pic is turned sideways.

Post Thanks / Like
    I started on layout of the Tesla motor mount components this weekend, started tack welding the parts and wouldn't you know it the argon regulator failed. I know it isn't the end of the world but it but it looks much better with it. I will get the rebuild kit in a few days for it and resume progress. With Brad's engineering, the parts layout is working out. The angles are working out per the drawings.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the regulator repaired, and back at it. Taking my time to make sure things are going per the plans. So far things are going well.[ATTACH=CONFIG]185695[/ATTACH[ATTACH=CONFIG]185696
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    You might want to start a build thread in that forum area.
    -- Mike -- TxMike64 -- @TxMGarage
    Gen1.5 Hot Rod '33 #1094 (Stage 1) - 302/AOD '15 IRS - Quad Built - Build Thread

9. Thanks Dan Cooper thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good progress Dan! That's pretty cool to see a twin coming together. Thanks again for the confidence to use my design in your build!!

11. Thanks Dan Cooper thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Looks like we will be starting about the same time. My '33 arrived in Minnesota on Memorial day. Things are moving along well, this last weekend I tried my luck with an engine-turned firewall. Quite happy with the results, and very easy to do. I look forward to watching your build.

Image - 2023-06-10T070042.486.jpegImage - 2023-06-11T095807.170.jpegImage - 2023-06-11T095811.472.jpegImage - 2023-06-11T095817.109.jpegImage - 2023-06-11T143152.607.jpeg

13. Likes JimLev, 33fromSD, Shades liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    As soon as I get the Tesla motor setup completed, I will be moving forward much like you. I will do my best to get the pictures correct.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DanQ View Post
    Looks like we will be starting about the same time. My '33 arrived in Minnesota on Memorial day. Things are moving along well, this last weekend I tried my luck with an engine-turned firewall. Quite happy with the results, and very easy to do. I look forward to watching your build.

Image - 2023-06-10T070042.486.jpegImage - 2023-06-11T095807.170.jpegImage - 2023-06-11T095811.472.jpegImage - 2023-06-11T095817.109.jpegImage - 2023-06-11T143152.607.jpeg
    Very cool! I thought about doing that but decided to polish them instead.
    33 Hot Rod Stage 1, Gen.2 ordered 11/11/2021 started June 12, 2022, LS3 E-Rod crate engine, Tremec TKX, 8.8 WITH 3.55 Ratio and limited slip with 31 spline axles.17X8 and18x10 Race Star wheels wrapped in Conti Extreme contact DWS tires, Mustang Cobra brakes all around. Electric PS and AC. Hard top, electric windows and bike fenders. First Start 5/31/2023. Go-Kart 6/2/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been working at it a little at a time, sorry I haven't posted any progress lately. Some of what I have been doing is working out with EV West the components needed to make it go and charge batteries. I was going back and forth about chargers. I have settled on the Elcon Generation 4- 6.6KW charger, with the Thunderstruck MCU to control things with an AEM CD7 Display to show the data. The Motor should be about ready to pick up from EV West any day now.IMG_3724.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DanQ View Post

Did you use nutsert inserts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes I did in a couple areas, but I have tig welded them to make sure they do not spin. These are parts that that can be removed for motor install and removal. Most part are tack welded at this point. After I test fit the motor successfully then I plan to take the chassis to a weld shop for final welding.

Post Thanks / Like
    The heat has been quite intense here in the Phoenix area lately, this shortens the time I work in the garage therefore taking more time to make progress. On a better note I picked up the Tesla Model 3 motor kit from EV West on Monday. I also picked up most of the components required to make it functional. The next step is to test fit the Tesla motor in the chassis.Also Working on layout of components and wiring locations.

Post Thanks / Like
    I work with people in Chandler and have been hearing about the heat. Doesn't play well with working out the shop for sure! Congrats on getting the new toys from EV West.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Brad

Post Thanks / Like
    I am making pretty good progress now, but I took the week off to pick up parts and work on the car so that is how I made progress. Something about a job getting in the way of things in life. I was able to test fit the Model 3 motor in the chassis, and as per Brad's engineering it bolted right in. Also finished tack welding brackets for the rest of the rear suspension components. Tested articulation up and down on both sides, it looks pretty good2023-07-20 08.12.22.jpg
    Last edited by Dan Cooper; 07-23-2023 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Rotate picture

23. Likes Mastertech5, Just 1 More liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I definitely know how to post pictures sideways. I actually have it worked out to do it correctly. I just wasn't paying attention when I did my last post. My apologizes, I will try harder next time. Lucky for the car is actually moving along better than the photos I post.

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't made a lot of progress lately, but about a week and a half ago I sent the axles to Dutchman Axles to get shorter ones made. I just received UPS tracking, they should arrive here on Thursday. Triple checking things, going to do a rough alignment also before I have it finish welded.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice! That was pretty quick. If the bearings stayed in place in shipping, reassembly should be pretty easy.

Post Thanks / Like
    A friend stopped by this weekend so I took advantage of another set of hands. We put the body on and set the fenders and running boards for visual motivation. Also checking how the wheel and tires align in the wheel opening. The pictures are difficult to determine this but after working with it for a while it appears everything is lining up well.2023-08-19 07.54.46.jpg2023-08-19 07.55.08.jpg

28. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am currently waiting on the weld shop to work me in to do the finish welding for the rear suspension and motor mounts. In the mean time i have been doing a little looking around for batteries that will fit the space I have to work with and have liquid cooling and also try to get around 150 mile range. I have found a few different batteries some better options than others. The one I have been researching is from Fellten Electrified systems. It seems to check all the boxes, fits under the hood, liquid cooled approximate range looks good. Here is a mock up of the battery box. It is pretty much plug and play. The box contains battery pack, charger, BMS, and liquid cooling. Sounds like a good option.IMG_3898.jpg

30. Likes Mastertech5 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have had the chassis back from the welder for a while, however I had a little issue I wasn't expecting. The lower control arm mount at the rear of the car had moved a little during welding. A little more than I was comfortable with. I have corrected the issue and re-welded it. Time to proceed with the actual kit assembly.
    IMG_4082.jpg

32. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Glad you got it all straightened out!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes thank you, I am excited to move forward.

Post Thanks / Like
    As you know the Holiday season can be busy, but I did make a little progress. Working with a friend to see if we can get the Model 3 batteries to fit in my chassis. Waiting on the local salvage yard, they are getting the special tools to open the battery pack.33EV1.jpg33EV.jpg Here is what I have so far, just a little tease. This is actually the RC car from Factory Five with a cellphone charger that looks like a supercharger.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking forward to following what you find with those different Tesla packs.

Cool shots of that RC car! You fooled me at first texting those the other day - looked real. But I was a few drinks in already for New Year's Eve so...

Post Thanks / Like
    I got a blue one from my wife for Christmas. Very fast!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes they are, more than fast enough for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's been a while but here are some pictures of where I am with things now. I purchased the Model 3 Standard Range Plus Battery pack but when I started to open the battery box it turned out to be the long range battery. The problem with that is the actual battery packs are about 25" longer than the Standard Range Plus. With this chassis I don't have much room to work with.Where I bought the Tesla battery they are getting me the correct battery pack any day now. What I am doing is modifying the battery box to fit three battery packs side by side. This will fit under the car much like what Tesla does. I am building a box for the fourth battery pack. This will install from the engine area part way into the trans tunnel. This battery is a (50KW) pack. Also I finally got the new wheels and tires.IMG_4269.jpgIMG_4325.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Bummer about getting the wrong packs but at least they're taking care of it. There's always something like that huh...

Nice wheels! They look kind of familiar

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cooper View Post
    It's been a while but here are some pictures of where I am with things now. I purchased the Model 3 Standard Range Plus Battery pack but when I started to open the battery box it turned out to be the long range battery. The problem with that is the actual battery packs are about 25" longer than the Standard Range Plus. With this chassis I don't have much room to work with.Where I bought the Tesla battery they are getting me the correct battery pack any day now. What I am doing is modifying the battery box to fit three battery packs side by side. This will fit under the car much like what Tesla does. I am building a box for the fourth battery pack. This will install from the engine area part way into the trans tunnel. This battery is a (50KW) pack. Also I finally got the new wheels and tires.IMG_4269.jpgIMG_4325.jpg
    Nice wheels Dan, are they US Mag Rambler U121s? They look like the same ones I put on my 1955 F100 that I finished up last year.

Jim

20230619_085053.jpg
    33 Hot Rod w/ 302 & Tremec T5; paint color is 68 Ford Mustang GT LimeGold
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...s-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Jim
    They are American Racing wheels VN510. I bought them from Summit Racing. I really Like the F100. I actually have another project in progress, I have a 53' F100 with a twin turbo-charged small block with Holley HP fuel injection. It is setup with a wireless network so I can open the doors or start the truck, put the windows down turn on the A/C. Operate A few other things as well. From my cell phone or tablet. I have been driving it some but need to get more of it finished and license plates to make it legal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cooper View Post
    Thanks Jim
    They are American Racing wheels VN510. I bought them from Summit Racing. I really Like the F100. I actually have another project in progress, I have a 53' F100 with a twin turbo-charged small block with Holley HP fuel injection. It is setup with a wireless network so I can open the doors or start the truck, put the windows down turn on the A/C. Operate A few other things as well. From my cell phone or tablet. I have been driving it some but need to get more of it finished and license plates to make it legal.
    Amazing likeness is wheels. Great looking either way, they look awesome on your 33.

Your 53 F100 sounds like a fun project. I have always loved these old trucks.

Jim
    33 Hot Rod w/ 302 & Tremec T5; paint color is 68 Ford Mustang GT LimeGold
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...s-Build-Thread