FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6

Thread: Insurance

Post Thanks / Like

Insurance

Getting quotes for insurance to continue the registration process here in Illinois. My usual carrier won’t do it; they recommended American Collectors. After much back and forth I did get a quote from them. Also got a (better) quote from NCM. Hagerty no-quoted. I reached out to Midwest and didn’t hear back.

The last insurance discussion I found here in the forum was several years ago. Just wondering what experience folks have had with these players.

Post Thanks / Like
    My 818 is insured by American Collectors. They have been good to deal with, but no claims so can't comment on that aspect. Hagerty will not cover the 818 because it is not a replica.

3. Likes driveslikejehu liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I use AMIG. Had one claim on my mustang and it was a breeze.

5. Likes driveslikejehu liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have American Collectors on a '42 Chevy pickup and my FFR Roadster. No claims yet but they were easy to work with and offered competitive pricing on agreed value.
    FFR MKIV ordered 12 July 2019. IRS, Wilwood Brakes, 18" Wheels w/MT tires, power steering, EFI, Heat. 347 Dart w/TKO-600 by Mike Forte, Holley FI, MSD coil and CD box. All new, no donor build.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have used American Collectors from the start. When I upped the agreed on value after start up they just want pics. Will bump it again after paint and body is done.
    FFR Roadster Delivered 9/16/21
    Forte 427 Fuel Injected with TKX Transmission
    Forte's Axle

Post Thanks / Like
    My agent with American Family Insurance assured me that an agreed value policy is available through him after an appraisal from a reputable appraiser is done. In addition, it allows another person, not related to me, coverage also since we both have our policies with him. Am Fam has all my insurance, truck, renters, and my shop insurance.
    I wouldn’t bother with Hagerty since they previously insulted me by saying they weren’t interested in jap cars when I inquired about insuring my Toyota Supra turbo, now 34 yrs old.
    Kit #361, arrived 10/2015, still in progress
    818C highly modified, corvette suspension
    Estimated completion summer 2023!
    1989 turbo Supra 5 sp
    2017 Tundra

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the input...
    Looks like I'm going with American Modern, through NCM.
    We'll see how it goes

Post Thanks / Like
    If it's okay to piggyback on this, wondering what people have used to cover things during the build. I dropped insurance on the donor years ago, but I've got a lot of dollars of pretty much irreplaceable stuff in the garage now. I know someone had suggested AMIG covered them during the build, but I'm not sure they do business in NH. My insurance agent doesn't have anyone that would cover it during the build either. I haven't reached out to AMIG yet to see if I can get it despite no local agents.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have AMIG for my in-build project. They have some form of partnership with Geico, so they should be available everywhere.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had Hagerty for one month and canceled it. I also went with American Modern through NCM. So far it’s been ok. It was cheaper then Hagerty for better coverage.
    Last edited by brewha; 06-16-2023 at 04:19 PM.
    Mark4 - 331 Stroker - Fitech 600 -TKO600 - Moser 3.55

13. Likes driveslikejehu liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I actually went through my normal vehicle insurance Agency (State Farm) and got the same coverage I have on my pick up truck for the 818c. It is roughly $450 every six months with an agreed apon value of $20,000. I plan on driving mine on a more regular basis so I wanted full coverage in all situations.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven225 View Post
    I actually went through my normal vehicle insurance Agency (State Farm) and got the same coverage I have on my pick up truck for the 818c. It is roughly $450 every six months with an agreed apon value of $20,000. I plan on driving mine on a more regular basis so I wanted full coverage in all situations.
    Not trying to be that guy that wants to "up" people...
    But you might want to check around. I think the smaller, more custom focused companies are better for these vehicles. What I just got thru NCM is about half your cost, with a bit higher value. And I got identical coll/comp and liability as my daily drivers that are with a typical auto/home company.
    Just another data point

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, this is somewhat off topic, but I have to vent a bit. I'm in Ontario, Canada and NO insurance company will insure my 818C. Nobody will insure a kit car these days. Hagerty is the only one left doing kit cars, but it has to be a replica of a "classic car" that they accept. Every company told me the only option is "facility" insurance, which I'm trying to get but even those companies don't seem keen to help.

So you guys in the US have it pretty good with different choices available.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFRWRX View Post
    So you guys in the US have it pretty good with different choices available.
    Is too early for a "cups up" after work thought?
    I have traveled to and worked at a few Canadian sites; this is the first negative thing I've heard of you folks. I enjoyed many things about Canada- except the cold... People and supporting structure seemed great.
    Hope you get it worked out.

18. Likes FFRWRX liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by driveslikejehu View Post
    I enjoyed many things about Canada- except the cold...
    Yes, but it's a dry cold.

20. Likes driveslikejehu, Jetfuel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by driveslikejehu View Post
    Not trying to be that guy that wants to "up" people...
    But you might want to check around. I think the smaller, more custom focused companies are better for these vehicles. What I just got thru NCM is about half your cost, with a bit higher value. And I got identical coll/comp and liability as my daily drivers that are with a typical auto/home company.
    Just another data point
    No worries. The reason I went with my normal insurer was due to the restrictions placed on coverage with other insurers. Such as they only cover you for trips to the shop/shows. I was pretty happy for the rate i received as I am still a young wild male in the eyes of insurers.

Post Thanks / Like
    No worries. The reason I went with my normal insurer was due to the restrictions placed on coverage with other insurers. Such as they only cover you for trips to the shop/shows. I was pretty happy for the rate i received as I am still a young wild male in the eyes of insurers.
    Ah, makes sense... I didn't even think of all the other stuff insurers look at

Post Thanks / Like
    I just insured my Type 65 Daytona with Hagerty. It was not to bad. I have a nitrous system in the car just for display, They made me send them pictures of the carburetor from different angles, showing that it was not hooked up, then sign a liability letter stating it is not a working unit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nickamto, This is what I didn’t like about Hagerty. It’s like they forgot who the customer was and decided to just cover the as##s. They kept wanting more information to cover their risks. They forced me to reduce medical coverage for auto injury because they couldn’t under write it ….. The insurance policy is about you first and then the car, not about the risk to them. In Connecticut, $100k medical is like 2 days in the hospital for intensive care , god forbid…. I carried 250k coverage on all my other cars. It’s like a $17.00 more per car and they would not write it. I recommend looking at other companies.

Sorry if I sound angry.
    Last edited by brewha; 06-21-2023 at 05:05 AM.
    Mark4 - 331 Stroker - Fitech 600 -TKO600 - Moser 3.55

Post Thanks / Like
    I signed with Hagerty for about 2 years but switched to Grundy and saved about 400. Same coverage and guaranteed price.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I just got mine titled and registered in Oregon. For insurance I found American National to be a good deal. During construction phase I had a comprehensive policy. Once finished I switch to a full coverage policy. The Insurer ask for a vehicle appraisal so I had to gather all my receipts and total everything up using a spreadsheet along with pictures and a vehicle description like a for sale add. It came back at $68K once I submitted that to the insurer I got my quote but it has a limit of 2500 miles/year. Full coverage with roadside assistance and towing was $109 every six months. Only $5 more than what I was paying for comp. The coverage was 100/300 with 500 deductible on collision 100 for glass. DMV registration was $232 registered as 1965 antique/special interest vehicle with no semi-annual registration fees and no vehicle inspection. Zero registration fees! In the end it was quite happy with the outcome. I was expecting the costs to be much higher.

American National insurance - Classic/collected policy
    Auto Value Pros appraisal service