BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: 289 pipes. LOUD! What can be done?

Post Thanks / Like

289 pipes. LOUD! What can be done?

Gentlemen.

First start yesterday. 347, AFR heads, comp thumpr cam. Likely your run-of-the-mill 400+- hp 347 that many run.

I know I'm getting a bit older but loud can be too loud. The thumpr probably doesn't help but I've crossed that bridge.

Have any of your tried to modify your 289 pipes with inserts? Mine are welded less than perfectly, a joke really as all joints offer a continuation of the pipe at a different angle. I have no fear of cutting the pipes and welding them back together better than they were originally manufactured AND I'm a terrible rookie welder.

I'm considering cutting them, putting in some inserts or a combination of inserts, and closing them up.

Any idea what is in the pipe now?
    10 years after my roadster build....
    289 FIA (pickup 28/08/20 if covid permits)
    currently building a 289 and accumulating parts needed to finish a Canadian Kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was just like you with my 331 with high compression heads. I used Car Chemistry 2 disk inserts in the end of the side pipes. They sell them at Summitt. The are pressed in (or hit in with a rubber mallet) and then held in with a single stainless steel rivet. I did not weld the optional end cap on. It helped a lot. At normal driving, the drone is gone and I can now have conversations in the car without yelling. I had bought steel wool packing to put between the inserts disk but wanted to hear it first without it. I wish I had placed the steel wool in now as now it will not be as easy to do it. I am very happy with the results. IMG_0398.jpg
    Last edited by brewha; 06-24-2023 at 08:47 AM.
    Mark4 - 331 Stroker - Fitech 600 -TKO600 - Moser 3.55

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by brewha View Post
    I was just like you with my 331 with high compression heads. I used Car Chemistry 2 disk inserts in the end of the side pipes. They sell them at Summitt. The are pressed in (or hit in with a rubber mallet) and then held in with a single stainless steel rivet. I did not weld the optional end cap on. It helped a lot. At normal driving, the drone is gone and I can now have conversations in the car without yelling. I had bought steel wool packing to put between the inserts disk but wanted to hear it first without it. I wish I had placed the steel wool in now as now it will not be as easy to do it. I am very happy with the results. IMG_0398.jpg
    Thanks brewha. I was just looking at these. They have an option to attach to the header flange which would give me another 1/4 inch of clearance. I was going to need a spacer anyway. I think I'll give them a try.

scratch that, the flange is 3 bolt. Will go with the pressed in option.
    Last edited by OttawaFFRer; 06-24-2023 at 10:35 AM.
    currently building a 289 and accumulating parts needed to finish a Canadian Kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good ear plugs for you and passenger. Advise to be considered no matter what you do with the exhaust. The wind noise will wear on you at any cruising speed, generally at cruising 2-2,500rpm the exhaust shouldn't be too bad... until you get on it.
    65k miles, most w/ ear plugs or good ear buds.
    Jim
    2016 Mk4 Challenge Car, IRS, 3.31 Torsen, RDI Aluminum 427w, AFR 225s, Vic Jr. ProSystems 780 HP, TKO-600 w/Liberty mods. Forward cage. Levy 6/4 piston Wilwoods. Not completed yet, will be a streetable track car.
    2004 Superformance MkIII #1855, 2007 Superformance MkIII #2584 purchased in 2012 both sold.

5. Likes Fman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim1855 View Post
    Good ear plugs for you and passenger. Advise to be considered no matter what you do with the exhaust. The wind noise will wear on you at any cruising speed, generally at cruising 2-2,500rpm the exhaust shouldn't be too bad... until you get on it.
    65k miles, most w/ ear plugs or good ear buds.
    Jim
    At this time I need to purchase them for anyone living within 100 yards of my driveway! The 289 pipes seem much louder than the 427s were.

I'm about to take the camera out for a look inside them.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 331, and when I got to first start, I couldn't believe how loud it was. Went with the Car Chemistry 3 plate and got some ceramic "wool" to stuff between the plates. I drove them into the bottom end of the J pipes and secured them with a stainless steel screw. It has made such a difference. If you get on it, they don't seem to lower the sound much, but at cruise it's great.
    Rick

Mk4 with Mr. Bruce FIA body, 331 w/ Speedmaster Stack Injection, Full Width Roll Bar with high brake lights by i.e.427, IRS, ABS, PS, PB, FAST FI, First start 3/30/20, First go-kart 7/5/20, paint by Ken Pike

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Brewha - What size inserts did you use? Thanks
    FFR 5385 MKIII. 302, 3-Link. All legal in MA 1/7/2012.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used the 3.5 dual plate inserts for my Mk4 side pipes. I just ran a file lighter over the outside edges as they were a little tight going in. As they got further into the ends I used a scrap 2x4 and a dead weight mallet to pound them in. ( I don’t mean pound, but more like persuade.)
    Mark4 - 331 Stroker - Fitech 600 -TKO600 - Moser 3.55

Post Thanks / Like
    I've order the car chemistry 3 plate inserts and some wool. I may get the cones also.
    Right now I'm considering turning down the tips, just a bit.

Will do a before and after test once they arrive.

Thanks all for input.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Boig quieter pipes.

[QUOTE=OttawaFFRer;529870]Gentlemen.

First start yesterday. 347, AFR heads, comp thumpr cam. Likely your run-of-the-mill 400+- hp 347 that many run.

I know I'm getting a bit older but loud can be too loud. The thumpr probably doesn't help but I've crossed that bridge.

Have any of your tried to modify your 289 pipes with inserts? Mine are welded less than perfectly, a joke really as all joints offer a continuation of the pipe at a different angle. I have no fear of cutting the pipes and welding them back together better than they were originally manufactured AND I'm a terrible rookie welder.

I'm considering cutting them, putting in some inserts or a combination of inserts, and closing them up.

Any idea what is in the pipe now?[/QUOTE

I and several other 289 builders have sent our pipes to Bob Boig. Sad to say Bob passed away a couple of years back.but I believe that the company still functions. The quiet pipes for the 289 are handled on an exchange basis. The turn around is pretty quick. The pipes have a nice rumble at low RPMs but still howl when you hit the fun pedal. That nasty rasp is gone. https://boigmotorsports.com/product/...-ffr-roadster/
    “Privateer”
    289 USRRC Chassis #9188 p/u 9/11/2017 Go kart 3/18/2018, road legal 6/16/2018
    Ford full roller 306 built by my son and me Holley Sniper EFI
    TKO600 2015 IRS 3:55. 17” FFR Hallibrand replicas, Power steering
    FFR Vintage instruments, Wipers and Heat/defrost
    Lots of parts and advice from Mike Forte & Mark Reynolds (Breeze Automotive)

12. Likes cnutting liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The company that was doing the work for Bob Boig is Tubular Automotive out of Rockland, MA. Great guys to work with, sent them my 289 pipes for the quieter option. Also got my upper and lower tubes from them as well.

https://www.tubularautomotive.com/

14. Likes cnutting liked this post