Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Coyote coolant routing option???

Post Thanks / Like

Coyote coolant routing option???

Does any one see an issue with me tapping a barb nipple into the radiator filler (pressure side of the cap) and running a coolant hose from it to the nipple on top of the engine? Refer to the pic below and the YELLOW line being the new hose connection.

I don't see any issue, as both should be the same psi and it also helps solve any trapped air in the coolant system.

I'd like to hear any thoughts on this.

Thanks Mark
    Mark
    '35 Truck
    Build Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...35-Truck-Build
    Brevard, NC

25th Anniversary #9772 toadster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    seems feasible, but unsure if you may want to have a one way check valve hose there like the stock setup to remove the possibility of backflow

I ditched the mid-pipe thermostat setup and used the moroso coolant tank
    https://cobradreams.com/2023/04/02/i...xpansion-tank/
    Todd
    25th Anniversary MkIV | #20 of 25 | Build #9772
    https://cobradreams.com/ <- my build!

Post Thanks / Like
    Instead of doing that, pull the barb out and tap the hole to install your water temp sender. Ron Everitt taught me that trick.
    Mike

4. Likes toadster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by toadster View Post
    seems feasible, but unsure if you may want to have a one way check valve hose there like the stock setup to remove the possibility of backflow

I ditched the mid-pipe thermostat setup and used the moroso coolant tank
    https://cobradreams.com/2023/04/02/i...xpansion-tank/
    Toadster... Thanks... check valve a good idea.

Mark
    Mark
    '35 Truck
    Brevard, NC

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by michael everson View Post
    Instead of doing that, pull the barb out and tap the hole to install your water temp sender. Ron Everitt taught me that trick.
    Mike
    Hey Mike... thanks for the suggestion, but, I already have a coolant temp sensor installed in the eng block by the oil inlet and outlet. And, I wouldn't want to drill and tap and run the risk of metal filings getting into the coolant/engine block.

Mark
    Mark
    '35 Truck
    Brevard, NC

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by toadster View Post
    Hey Todd, just curious - where did you see a check valve in that line? I know there's a check valve in the line going from the front of the Moroso tank to the radiator, but AFAIK the line form top rear of the Moroso tank to the barb on the engine that mkassab shows doesn't have a check valve in it. I never did see the OEM line for that connection as it's been out of stock forever but have never heard of a check valve in that line.
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    Hey Todd, just curious - where did you see a check valve in that line? I know there's a check valve in the line going from the front of the Moroso tank to the radiator, but AFAIK the line form top rear of the Moroso tank to the barb on the engine that mkassab shows doesn't have a check valve in it. I never did see the OEM line for that connection as it's been out of stock forever but have never heard of a check valve in that line.
    Was about to ask the same. I didn't have a check valve in my line either.
    Mk4 Roadster: Gen 3 Coyote, IRS, T56 Magnum. Build thread here.

25th Anniversary #9772 toadster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by facultyofmusic View Post
    Was about to ask the same. I didn't have a check valve in my line either.
    ah you guys are right, I am thinking of the one from the radiator to the overflow tank - the one from the tank to the engine is free flow

thanks for sanity checking my brain
    Todd
    25th Anniversary MkIV | #20 of 25 | Build #9772
    https://cobradreams.com/ <- my build!

Post Thanks / Like
    If that radiator hose on top of the engine is the RADIATOR INLET hose you can just connect the two as in your original question. That is pretty much the same as a LS steam vent connection to release trapped air in the cooling system. I have one on my 33 Hot Rod. It is required for a LS. Ford runs that to tank they use for coolant fill where they also have the radiator cap. GM uses the same setup. For our builds with the cap on the radiator you hook it up to the upper hose. If your thermostat is on the lower hose in the engine then your good with your original idea. Most of the modern engines are reverse flow from the old days.
    33 Hot Rod Stage 1, Gen.2 ordered 11/11/2021 started June 12, 2022, LS3 E-Rod crate engine, Tremec TKX, 8.8 WITH 3.55 Ratio and limited slip with 31 spline axles.17X8 and18x10 Race Star wheels wrapped in Conti Extreme contact DWS tires, Mustang Cobra brakes all around. Electric PS and AC. Hard top, electric windows and bike fenders. First Start 5/31/2023. Go-Kart 6/2/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastertech5 View Post
    If that radiator hose on top of the engine is the RADIATOR INLET hose you can just connect the two as in your original question. That is pretty much the same as a LS steam vent connection to release trapped air in the cooling system. I have one on my 33 Hot Rod. It is required for a LS. Ford runs that to tank they use for coolant fill where they also have the radiator cap. GM uses the same setup. For our builds with the cap on the radiator you hook it up to the upper hose. If your thermostat is on the lower hose in the engine then your good with your original idea. Most of the modern engines are reverse flow from the old days.
    Thanks.... it is an outlet from the top of the engine.... so I'll route the hose to the T as described.

Mark
    Mark
    '35 Truck
    Brevard, NC

Post Thanks / Like
    After bleeding the system, I just capped mine off. No known issues.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.