Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: No Fuel Pressure Before Start-up

Post Thanks / Like

No Fuel Pressure Before Start-up

I have a another crazy question. I have a gen 3 Coyote and when I turn the key to the ON position, there is no pressure at the regulator. My engine starts only after it's cranked over numerous times until fuel pressure builds. So I only get fuel presssure when the key is turned to the START position. My question is, did I hook up a wrong wire somewhere? I followed the the Ford intructions in wiring. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    All the GEN 3s are that way.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by michael everson View Post
    All the GEN 3s are that way.
    Mike
    I must have done something wrong. My pump comes on briefly when key is turned to on position. At initial start it did not come on, but once car started and ran some it evidently learned what it was supposed to do.
    John
    Gen 3 Coupe #334 received 11/4/21. Coyote, IRS, TKX, Wilwoods
    '02 GT donor, 4.6 sohc, Received #5488 on 5/29/06. 3-link, ps, pb. Hoosier Cobra member (Hoosiercobra.com)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Indy Shu View Post
    I must have done something wrong. My pump comes on briefly when key is turned to on position. At initial start it did not come on, but once car started and ran some it evidently learned what it was supposed to do.
    My Gen 3 Coyote does the same thing. Pump runs briefly but then switches off until the engine starts. But mine was a very early crate motor and control pack from August 2018. It starts relatively quickly when the starter motor engages. I've seen enough of these "I don't get any pump sound or fuel pressure before it starts" posts that I'm thinking Ford Performance changed something in the PCM calibration over the last couple years. Also explains why so many describe a lot of cranking for their first starts. Wasn't that way with mine.

I don't think anyone did anything wrong here. Just that something has changed.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a late 2020 Gen 3 and the pump behaves the same as Paul just described . Starts right up after a brief crank.

Post Thanks / Like
    I might consider jumping out the fuel pump on first starts. Just long enough to get some fuel pressure. I hate hearing an engine crank for ever before starting.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

7. Thanks i.e.427 thanked for this post
    Likes i.e.427 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone, I really appreciate all the advice. It was driving me crazy, I went through all my connections repeatedly just to make sure it was right. Thanks again for letting me know about your experiemces.

Post Thanks / Like
    You are supposed to set fuel pressure before starting the engine for the first time. It's best to jumper the relay and set static fuel pressure. Good advice is to use the jumper to supply fuel for first start as well. Gen 3 will fire right up the first time.

Frank

10. Thanks Redlinejoev thanked for this post
    Likes Redlinejoev liked this post