Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Fuel Sender Help

Post Thanks / Like

Fuel Sender Help

I've done a bit of searching here, but still not clear on exactly what I have here. Building a '33 for a customer and I have the fuel tank/sender in the photo attached (EFI set-up with external fuel pump) and have the Icon gauge cluster with programmable fuel gauge. Can anyone tell me which sender this is and what the empty and full ohms are? Thanks!

Fuel Sender.jpg
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Should be standard Ford specs. 16 at empty and 158 at full. From my AutoMeter installation instructions. I believe the sender is for a foxbody or sn95 mustang.
    Last edited by Mastertech5; 07-19-2023 at 06:44 PM.
    33 Hot Rod Stage 1, Gen.2 ordered 11/11/2021 started June 12, 2022, LS3 E-Rod crate engine, Tremec TKX, 8.8 WITH 3.55 Ratio and limited slip with 31 spline axles.17X8 and18x10 Race Star wheels wrapped in Conti Extreme contact DWS tires, Mustang Cobra brakes all around. Electric PS and AC. Hard top, electric windows and bike fenders. First Start 5/31/2023. Go-Kart 6/2/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    This does not have the large oval 2-pin electrical connector like the foxbody mustang sender. I don't believe there is a connector there at all?.....looks like just a moulded block of rubber that the wires for the sender go down thru?

20230720_081519.jpg
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    The sender is set up for a Ford as far as your gauge is concerned.
    33 Hot Rod Stage 1, Gen.2 ordered 11/11/2021 started June 12, 2022, LS3 E-Rod crate engine, Tremec TKX, 8.8 WITH 3.55 Ratio and limited slip with 31 spline axles.17X8 and18x10 Race Star wheels wrapped in Conti Extreme contact DWS tires, Mustang Cobra brakes all around. Electric PS and AC. Hard top, electric windows and bike fenders. First Start 5/31/2023. Go-Kart 6/2/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks! Your help is much appreciated!!
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    update.....when I first powered up the gauges, the fuel gauge was pegged on full with an empty tank. Since then, I've put 5 gal of gas in the tank and then programmed the fuel gauge for the 16-158 option and now it's pegged on empty?......so either 5 gal is not enough to move the float.....or the float is stuck.....or the 16-158 ohm option is not correct for this sender.....or I have other wiring issues? The cord coming out of the tank has one black wire and one blue wire. The cord from the gauges has one white wire and one black wire. I have the 2 black wires hooked together and the white wire hooked to the blue wire. Any thoughts?
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Put a multi-meter across the sender wires, see what it reads, shake the car and see if the ohms change?
    -- Mike -- TxMike64 -- @TxMGarage
    Gen1.5 Hot Rod '33 #1094 (Stage 1) - 302/AOD '15 IRS - Quad Built - Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TxMike64 View Post
    Put a multi-meter across the sender wires, see what it reads, shake the car and see if the ohms change?
    Easier said than done.....the connections at the fuel sender are soldered and heat shrinked....and ...with heat/AC installed, getting to the other end of the sender wire at the gauge cluster is pretty much not accessible without pulling out the entire AC controls to get to the back of the gauge cluster......and the car is up on jack stands....so can't shake the car.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    If your not sure of the ohm ratings for the gauge and the sender, you could try setting the 240 - 33.5 Ohms setting. Common industry standard. Works with many popular models of vehicles..

Post Thanks / Like
    i have he same setup for my 33 kit purchased in 2018
    here is a pic of a similar sending unit, but looks the sameTN1-1500-x-1500.jpg
    i have a autometer gauge 16/158 ohm and am having the same issue
    gauge works but not calibrated correctly
    i even added a autometer fuel bridge to manually calibrate it but still not accurate
    looks like your wiring is correct
    double check your grounds
    on a side note, when i filled tank up i was getting a fuel leak at the screws
    apparently this is a common issue and i added the neoprene backed metal washer to solve the issue