Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: How much gas into gas tank

Post Thanks / Like

Question How much gas into gas tank

Folks,

Since I am awaiting my engine right now, I wanted to do some other tests prior to the engine install. I have an aeromotive 18638 fuel pump and hanger installed in the FFR fuel tank with (340), Trick Flow TFS-23006 10 micron filter with a spin-off base, and AN-6 PTFE lines with fittings that go forward to a regulator that I will get with the engine. What would like to do is put about 2 gallons of gas in the tank and power the fuel pump from a portable battery to check leaks on the pump side to where the regulator would be on the firewall. I will have it dump back into the gas can. If that is all good from the outlet side of the pump, through the filter, and then to the inlet side of the regulator without leaks then I can check off one more pre start item on the checklist. Am I missing something here?

I might go one step further and then add a coupler to the return line and validate those fittings under pressure.

Does two gallons of gas seem about right?

Am I missing something in this test or is it a waste of time?

Thanks for the advice in advance.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    I pumped about 1/2 a gallon through my lines just to make sure they were clear. I doubt you'll be able to pressure test anything until the line is dead-headed or severely constricted.
    MK4, 427LS3, IRS, T56 Magnum, Wilwoods

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok thanks I can dead head

Post Thanks / Like
    I just put my AN lines/fittings under water under pressure. That leaves the connection points, which just need to be snugged up.

5. Thanks maclonchas thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had done the water test, but was looking to do another check while waiting on the engine.

Thanks

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like you've done your due diligence with testing to date. Personally, I wouldn't put any gas in the tank until you're close to first start to avoid having old gas when the time comes. Of course pay attention to the lines during first start. Just like you will be watching everything for leaks, issues, etc. But I'm betting if you've assembled carefully and doesn't leak with tests you've done to date, you will be fine. I would also recommend more than two gallons when the time comes. I usually add 4-5. Then some Stabil if I expect it's going to be there for awhile.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

8. Thanks maclonchas thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you tested it w/ water, gas will not be any different. I once had a bit of a gas leak near the engine. Got it all fixed but there was a tiny puddle somewhere. Still don't know what lit it off but it was a 1/2 second flash that scared the crap out me. So I am still very cautious and don't like gas sitting around so I'd skip a gas test.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

10. Thanks maclonchas thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok folks you convinced me not a great idea for now. Will keep knocking off liitle things during the wait. Completed door cards today with leather wrap. Yea !!!!

12. Likes scrubs liked this post