Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: SBF accessory drive kit w/pwr steering and mech fuel pump

Post Thanks / Like

SBF accessory drive kit w/pwr steering and mech fuel pump

I'm having trouble finding the right accessory drive kit for my 302. I had planned to run the 79-95 ford power steering pump along with a mechanical fuel pump. I thought march performance had a kit that worked but I just noticed a note at the bottom "Electric Fuel Pump Required for Kits Using Power-Steering". I also looked at CVF as I always thought they had a kit that used the ford pump but everything I'm seeing there uses the Borgeson Power Steering Pump or the Ford Pump with Steel Reservior. Not even sure if those options work with a mechanical fuel pump so if anyone can confirm options out there that would be great. I would consider the Borgeson if thats a solution that works, I already have ford lines and I know they sell adptors that make them work. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't see why the pulleys and pump wouldn't work. I am running their setup on a 351 using the saginaw style pump. I'm not running a mechanical fuel pump, but it looks like there is plenty of room to put one on and plumb hoses to.
    Built FFR9457. 351 Windsor, TKO600, 3.73. Fitech EFI. Russ Thompson throttle pedal, turn signal, and trunk pan. Carbon Fiber dash with Speedhut Revolution gauges. Paint by Jeff Kleiner.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool CVF kit works just fine

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan D View Post
    I'm having trouble finding the right accessory drive kit for my 302. I had planned to run the 79-95 ford power steering pump along with a mechanical fuel pump. I thought march performance had a kit that worked but I just noticed a note at the bottom "Electric Fuel Pump Required for Kits Using Power-Steering". I also looked at CVF as I always thought they had a kit that used the ford pump but everything I'm seeing there uses the Borgeson Power Steering Pump or the Ford Pump with Steel Reservior. Not even sure if those options work with a mechanical fuel pump so if anyone can confirm options out there that would be great. I would consider the Borgeson if thats a solution that works, I already have ford lines and I know they sell adptors that make them work. Thanks!
    I used the CVF kit for SBF with PS and alternator. It fits just fine , clears the mechanical fuel pump but the pulley just barely touches the steering shaft.
    However, for more clearance between the Ford pump pulley and the steering shaft use a CVF early BRONCO power steering mount (second photo).

thumb_DSCF9785_1024.jpg
    thumb_IMG_8298_1024.jpg
    thumb_IMG_8313_1024.jpg
    Mk4 Complete kit with IRS, IRS brakes, Power Steering, 302 mounts, 302 headers, TKO, 2 Rollbars, Leather seats,
    vintage gauges, polished stainless sidepipes, front and rear sway bars, all cutouts.
    Blueprint Engines 347 stroker; Tremec TKO 600; 3.55 IRS, 17" Bullitt wheels: 9" front 10.5" rear.
    Delivered Nov. 6, 2018. First start Aug. 11, 2019. First Go-Cart Feb. 21, 2020.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff's First FFR View Post
    I used the CVF kit for SBF with PS and alternator. It fits just fine , clears the mechanical fuel pump but the pulley just barely touches the steering shaft.
    However, for more clearance between the Ford pump pulley and the steering shaft use a CVF early BRONCO power steering mount (second photo).

thumb_DSCF9785_1024.jpg
    thumb_IMG_8298_1024.jpg
    thumb_IMG_8313_1024.jpg
    Thanks for the great tip on the CVF early Bronco pwr steering mount! The pully is still pretty close to the steering shaft in that second pic, have you completed final assembly with the belt on and under tension?
    Last edited by Jonathan D; 08-15-2023 at 05:34 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Bronco power steering mount

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan D View Post
    Thanks for the great tip on the CVF early Bronco pwr steering mount! The pully is still pretty close to the steering shaft in that second pic, have you completed final assembly with the belt on and under tension?
    Yes...final assembly and 400 miles done; no issues. BTW I didn't get mine from CVF directly. I believe it was Scott Drake at CJ Pony parts.. Anyway if CVF doesn't have it just do an internet search.

Here it is:

https://www.cjponyparts.com/scott-drake-power-steering-bracket-billet-ford-pump-289-302-1965-1969-bronco-1966-1977/p/PSPB9/?year=1969&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6KKg1pTfgAMV-K5aBR00uQLCEAQYBCABEgJ6j_D_BwE[/IMG]

Happy building,

Jeff
    Last edited by Jeff's First FFR; 08-15-2023 at 12:26 PM.
    Mk4 Complete kit with IRS, IRS brakes, Power Steering, 302 mounts, 302 headers, TKO, 2 Rollbars, Leather seats,
    vintage gauges, polished stainless sidepipes, front and rear sway bars, all cutouts.
    Blueprint Engines 347 stroker; Tremec TKO 600; 3.55 IRS, 17" Bullitt wheels: 9" front 10.5" rear.

6. Likes Jonathan D liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    BTW I used a 1965 Mustang power steering pump because it is low pressure (800psi) so it won't blow up the rack. But still the steering is very light. I ended up adding a Heidts Power Steering proportioning valve. Works great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff's First FFR View Post
    BTW I used a 1965 Mustang power steering pump because it is low pressure (800psi) so it won't blow up the rack. But still the steering is very light. I ended up adding a Heidts Power Steering proportioning valve. Works great.
    Thanks Jeff, never even thought of the pressure and like you I dont want it too light