Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Explain it to me - top or bottom hole upper shock mounts

Post Thanks / Like

Explain it to me - top or bottom hole upper shock mounts

The manual says not to mix holes, all upper or all lower. I don't see how using either the upper or lower hole in the top shock mount will do anything to the function or geometry of the suspension other than length of shock which you're changing anyway by adjusting the spring collars, NO?
    20230723_181029.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Technically, I think you're correct. But that setup (I have the same in my truck build) doesn't have a lot of shock travel to adjust. Depending on your planned ride height, you could run out of adjustment one way or other other. IMO, not quite as simple as use either hole and make up whatever difference is required by adjusting the spring collars. Use the hole that gives you the most adjustment. In my experience, a street machine with "normal" ride height is going to need the lower hole.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

3. Likes Just 1 More, Mastertech5 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Technically, I think you're correct. But that setup (I have the same in my truck build) doesn't have a lot of shock travel to adjust. Depending on your planned ride height, you could run out of adjustment one way or other other. IMO, not quite as simple as use either hole and make up whatever difference is required by adjusting the spring collars. Use the hole that gives you the most adjustment. In my experience, a street machine with "normal" ride height is going to need the lower hole.
    I'm going to use the QA1 shocks mounted inverted to be able to access the adjustments. I just can't figure what difference it would make to use the upper vs lower holes in the upper control arm.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Just 1 More View Post
    I'm going to use the QA1 shocks mounted inverted to be able to access the adjustments. I just can't figure what difference it would make to use the upper vs lower holes in the upper control arm.
    The brand shocks and where you place the adjuster really doesn't matter for your question. I don't know how to explain any differently. I did look back at your picture though and see you have the entire suspension in the upper holes. In that case, following the Factory Five instructions, the shocks should also be in the upper holes. I would only caution you that the entire setup needs to be taken into account, e.g. your desired ride height and the tires/wheels you're using. The hot rod (and truck) has the grille quite low in the front. My truck build (same front suspension as the hot rod) has front ride height at 5-1/2 inches, rear at 6 inches, 18 x 8 wheels and 245/45ZR18 tires all around. I used the lower suspension holes and my grille is no more than 3 inches off the ground.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    The brand shocks and where you place the adjuster really doesn't matter for your question. I don't know how to explain any differently. I did look back at your picture though and see you have the entire suspension in the upper holes. In that case, following the Factory Five instructions, the shocks should also be in the upper holes. I would only caution you that the entire setup needs to be taken into account, e.g. your desired ride height and the tires/wheels you're using. The hot rod (and truck) has the grille quite low in the front. My truck build (same front suspension as the hot rod) has front ride height at 5-1/2 inches, rear at 6 inches, 18 x 8 wheels and 245/45ZR18 tires all around. I used the lower suspension holes and my grille is no more than 3 inches off the ground.
    Ride height is definitely a concern with the low nose on these things. That'll be a game time decision once the wheels and tires and body all go on together to see where she sits. If it's too low, i'll swap everything to the lower holes.

Post Thanks / Like
    I put mine on all the lower holes for a higher ride height. My Cat/converters hang down further than the rest of the exhaust because of their diameter. Speed bumps and pot holes were also a consideration. I also chose 40 series tires on 18x10s rear and 17x8.5 in front. I have seen too many cracked or bent wheels that had lower profile tires on them. The fronts are at the max FFR suggests, the rears are 3 tenths over. I believe 26.5 " is the suggested max tire diameter. The manual says to place the grill height at level or slightly lower for the hood rounded bottom compared to the rounded "molding" on the body.
    33 Hot Rod Stage 1, Gen.2 ordered 11/11/2021 started June 12, 2022, LS3 E-Rod crate engine, Tremec TKX, 8.8 WITH 3.55 Ratio and limited slip with 31 spline axles.17X8 and18x10 Race Star wheels wrapped in Conti Extreme contact DWS tires, Mustang Cobra brakes all around. Electric PS and AC. Hard top, electric windows and bike fenders. First Start 5/31/2023. Go-Kart 6/2/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I found out yesterday that if you're doing the inverted QA1's you must use the lower shock mount hole, the shock hits and will not allow you to use the upper hole.
    20231023_155347.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    So with the Koni’s is this still a problem?
    What if you flip the QA1’s over?
    '33 Hotrod, #1047 Gen 1, delivered on 2/27/18, go cart on 9/24/18.
    LS3 w/Gearstar Level 3 4L65e Tranny, Yank converter, Lokar shifter, Electric PS, Vintage AC/Heat/Def, 8.8" 3.55
    TorqThrust II Wheels w/Toyo Proxy T1 Sport Tires, F 235/45ZR17 R 295/35ZR18
    Garage Built, Driveway Painted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Just 1 More View Post
    I found out yesterday that if you're doing the inverted QA1's you must use the lower shock mount hole, the shock hits and will not allow you to use the upper hole.
    20231023_155347.jpg
    Are you saying it hits at full droop, when the car is airborne?
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe there are extensions for that so the shocks won't hit.
    33 Hot Rod Stage 1, Gen.2 ordered 11/11/2021 started June 12, 2022, LS3 E-Rod crate engine, Tremec TKX, 8.8 WITH 3.55 Ratio and limited slip with 31 spline axles.17X8 and18x10 Race Star wheels wrapped in Conti Extreme contact DWS tires, Mustang Cobra brakes all around. Electric PS and AC. Hard top, electric windows and bike fenders. First Start 5/31/2023. Go-Kart 6/2/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRacer View Post
    Are you saying it hits at full droop, when the car is airborne?
    The body/base of the shock will not allow the mounting hole to reach the top control arm hole, no matter what ride position. I honestly don't see an issue with this as the only thing this would effect is ride height which is adjusted by the coil over anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastertech5 View Post
    I believe there are extensions for that so the shocks won't hit.
    They only hit if you try to use the upper holes. They do not touch if you use the lower holes

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe JimLev did the same and I think he used the lower holes because he has full fenders.You unscrew the rod end from the shock rod and install a longer one. Mark Reynolds at Breeze Automotive has some and can advise you. Give him a call. He's great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastertech5 View Post
    I believe JimLev did the same and I think he used the lower holes because he has full fenders.You unscrew the rod end from the shock rod and install a longer one. Mark Reynolds at Breeze Automotive has some and can advise you. Give him a call. He's great.
    Also, You can't change the mount end on the bottom of the shock, only the top of the shock, So any extension would be useless in this case..