Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: First Start and a Couple of Questions

Post Thanks / Like

First Start and a Couple of Questions

I started my gen 2 coyote a couple of weeks ago and had 2 questions.

1. My oil pressure seemed really high (around 90) at first start and on subsequent starts. As the motor warmed up the oil pressure came down. This seems really high to me but I am not familiar with these motors. Any thoughts on this?

2. I have used FORSCAN for all of my diagnostics on my daily driver vehicles with great success. However I cannot get it to connect to the coyote. I tried all of the tips and tricks I could find. Is there another software you all recommend for viewing only for the coyote?

I had these questions in my build thread but did not get any responses. Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've heard that coyote oil pressure is higher than a traditional SBF. Others will comment I'm sure.

On scanners & efi, I know little, kinda like women, I appreciate but wouldn't suggest I understand.

Jim
    2016 Mk4 Challenge Car, IRS, 3.31 Torsen, RDI Aluminum 427w, AFR 225s, Vic Jr. ProSystems 780 HP, TKO-600 w/Liberty mods. Forward cage. Levy 6/4 piston Wilwoods. Not completed yet, will be a streetable track car.
    2004 Superformance MkIII #1855, 2007 Superformance MkIII #2584 purchased in 2012 both sold.

Post Thanks / Like
    Coyotes always run close too 100 on cold startup. They drop to around 50 after running for a few minutes.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Coyotes always run close too 100 on cold startup. They drop to around 50 after running for a few minutes.

Jeff
    Thanks Jeff. I am used to old SBC and it seemed crazy high to me.

25th Anniversary #9772 toadster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kirby View Post
    I started my gen 2 coyote a couple of weeks ago and had 2 questions.

1. My oil pressure seemed really high (around 90) at first start and on subsequent starts. As the motor warmed up the oil pressure came down. This seems really high to me but I am not familiar with these motors. Any thoughts on this?

2. I have used FORSCAN for all of my diagnostics on my daily driver vehicles with great success. However I cannot get it to connect to the coyote. I tried all of the tips and tricks I could find. Is there another software you all recommend for viewing only for the coyote?

I had these questions in my build thread but did not get any responses. Thanks in advance.
    I haven't found a good model for FORSCAN in the Gen3, I've used it on several Ford vehicles in the past

what would you plan on using it for? there aren't really any other computers than the PCM to interact with - although I'm going to monkey with my ABS with ForScan, that required me to contact ForScan support to get an '05-09 GT500 signature - haven't tested it out yet though- supposedly it will allow ABS comms to happen through FORSCAN, but it's still not tied to the PCM
    Todd
    25th Anniversary MkIV | #20 of 25 | Build #9772
    https://cobradreams.com/ <- my build!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have used a BlueDriver and and generic OBDII reader plus the Torque app to read my 2nd Gen Coyote PCM without issue. The generic OBDII reader plus the Torque app read out more information than did the BlueDriver. I had purchased my engine in a donor car bought at auction. The instrument cluster had been removed from the car which prevented me from directly reading out the total mileage. However, the paid for Torque app, about $5 as I remember, read out a parameter called miles since last reset. Since the car was less than 6 months old, I had to believe the 2345 miles read out from the miles since last reset parameter was the actual mileage on the car. Very cool as I bought the car at a very good price because it had a CA junk title on it preventing it from being repaired and titled for street use.
    MK4 base kit, 2004 Mach 1 donor, 4.6L DOHC, TR-3650 5-speed, narrowed stock axle with 3.55 gears and TruTrac, PS, PB, ABS, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, started 12/2011, registered 9/2014, sold 3/1/2018.
    1970 Mustang Fastback Coyote powered Boss 302 tribute. Started 10/14/16.
    Gen 3 Coupe Base Kit non-donor build. Ordered 4/5/2024 to be received August 2024.

Post Thanks / Like
    The high start up oil pressure of about 100 psi is a characteristic of the Ford modular engines. My 4.6L DOHC engine behaved exactly the same on startup, 100 psi immediately after starting that then dropping off as the engine warmed. This due to the tighter tolerances used in manufacturing the modular family of engines and precisely the reason they require the thinner 5W20 oils for street use.
    MK4 base kit, 2004 Mach 1 donor, 4.6L DOHC, TR-3650 5-speed, narrowed stock axle with 3.55 gears and TruTrac, PS, PB, ABS, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, started 12/2011, registered 9/2014, sold 3/1/2018.
    1970 Mustang Fastback Coyote powered Boss 302 tribute. Started 10/14/16.
    Gen 3 Coupe Base Kit non-donor build. Ordered 4/5/2024 to be received August 2024.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by toadster View Post
    I haven't found a good model for FORSCAN in the Gen3, I've used it on several Ford vehicles in the past

what would you plan on using it for? there aren't really any other computers than the PCM to interact with - although I'm going to monkey with my ABS with ForScan, that required me to contact ForScan support to get an '05-09 GT500 signature - haven't tested it out yet though- supposedly it will allow ABS comms to happen through FORSCAN, but it's still not tied to the PCM
    I use Forscan in my other vehicles and it is just what I have no specific need for it.