Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: MK 4 Turn signal

Post Thanks / Like

Post MK 4 Turn signal

Does anyone know if the "Russ Thompson turn signal" is still available or is anyone has taken over the product? Is the any other self cancelling system that is column mounte?.

Post Thanks / Like
    i.e. 427 has begun making one: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2351

I have one on my car. Love it.
    MK3 Challenge Car, Boss 347, Sniper 2 EFI

Post Thanks / Like
    TJ @ Mountain Metalworks is making one that improves upon RT's original design. I already bought TJ's gas pedal that did the same.
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

4. Likes weendoggy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info.. Do you happen to have any contact info for TJ @ Mountain Metalworks ?? Google search comes up with several sites.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    *2 ^ TJ has just about caught up on past orders. Email him: [email protected]
    I'm just a victim of a thousand physic wars!
    www.weendoggy.com/cobra.htm

7. Likes cv2065 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by weendoggy View Post
    *2 ^ TJ has just about caught up on past orders. Email him: [email protected]
    Thanks! Just waiting on my steering boss!
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyO View Post
    Does anyone know if the "Russ Thompson turn signal" is still available or is anyone has taken over the product? Is the any other self cancelling system that is column mounte?.
    We have exactly what you're looking for. Our all new design self cancels for both right and left turns, has a momentary switch built into the turn signal stalk to activate the horn and has a secondary switch on the opposite side of the unit that can be used for Low/High beam activation or E-Flashers (hazard lights).We are ready to go into our next batch now. Contact us at [email protected] and we can get you instruction to send us your steering wheel hub for modification.

Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by i.e.427 View Post

Frank,

No offense, but the large plastic turn signal arm is a major turn off , no pun intended, for me. How about something metal and slender like Russ's design?

Steve
    2nd MK4 #10639 received 3-19-23. Wife's version. Street Snake - IRS, Willwoods, no roll bars, no hood scoop, no stripes, Blue Print EFI 306 with AOD trans, and under car exhaust. Ford Eruption Green with saddle leather interior.
    1st build - Mk4 Roadster #9319, received 4-10-18. IL registration 8/6/19. Moser 8.8. 3 Link. Wilwood brakes. Blue Print 427, Holley 750, TKO 600, 0.64 OD. Paint Dec 2020. Ruby Red with Carbon Flash Black metallic stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    It is a metal stalk (that is a photo from my obviously dirty build process). I am planning on cutting the plastic piece off, threading the stalk and placing an aluminum piece made on the lathe. To be honest though you only notice it in the up close photos and once you step back is disappears into the dash. I too love this unit, the install was simple and it is a robust design.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FLPBFoot View Post
    Frank,

No offense, but the large plastic turn signal arm is a major turn off , no pun intended, for me. How about something metal and slender like Russ's design?

Steve
    Steve, we know that we are not going to sell one of these to every Mk4 owner. Some folks want what they want. We can sell these at a reasonable cost, they offer more function than the other offerings and we can make a bit of profit. Our handle has no wires running through it to get broken or chaffed and short out. And as Don pointed out the handle can be modified or replaced with another handle. Kind of customizable, like the Factory Five platforms. While others were farting around with their hands in their pockets, we were hard at work designing and testing an all new unit that we have brought to market in less than 4 months. All of the customer feedback thus far has been very positive. If this isn't for you, that's OK. No offence taken.

We also have:
    -Drop boxes for the trunk
    -Cover plates for the trunk deck lids
    -Custom Stainless forward canted 427 style shifter handles
    -Rear mount battery boxes
    and probably other stuff I'm forgetting.

But I rarely post about them. We saw a need and we did what we could to help out the Factory Five community.

Frank

Edit: One thing I did forget to add. Our unit is completely retrofittable. We have one customer (John Denny) that retrofitted one of our units into his Mk3 Spec Racer. If it's retrofittable into one of those, think how much easier it will be in a MK1-3 that has door that open.
    Last edited by i.e.427; 03-13-2024 at 08:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyO View Post
    Hey MattyO,
    Yes, the RT turn signal is still being produced. I was fortunate enough to take over the remaining stock and some tooling from Russ after his unfortunate passing. We are making the turn signals along with throttle pedals, dropped trunk kits, and some other Coupe parts.
    For the turn signal, it's still an all aluminum design using an original cast VW assembly, along with several parts machined from billet aluminum, and mounts directly to the frame using stainless hardware for rigidity. As before, we machine your FFR steering hub to match, then bench test the units and send them out. We are currently working through the backlog of orders for turn signals, but trunks and throttle pedals are in stock and ready to ship. I'll PM you for contact info if you're interested in getting on the list.

There is also a request/contact form on www.mountain-metalworks.com though I still need to get the website updated to reflect these parts in addition to the general fabrication we do.

Here as some pics of the pieces and process we are using.

Turn Signals.jpg

Throttle Pedals.jpg

Drop Trunk.jpg

We are working hard to get through the current list so we can have a 1-2 day turn-around once we receive you FFR hub.

Thanks!
    -TJ
    www.mountain-metalworks.com

14. Likes weendoggy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just stumbled on this thread. Quite timely since I wired-in Frank's (i.e. 427) turn signal this weekend. I have to say, it was about as simple an install as you can ask for. The quality of the unit is clear, and it has a nice solid mechanical feel to it. I'm using the momentary switch on the stalk for the horn (as designed), and I opted to use the secondary column-mounted switch for the hazards.

Regarding the point about the plastic arm -- the picture above makes it look much bigger than it really is. It will blend into the dash without a problem. However I never thought about modifying it... hmm.
    Last edited by OB6; 11-13-2023 at 12:31 PM.

16. Thanks i.e.427 thanked for this post
    Likes i.e.427 liked this post